autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Griots Garage Brilliant Finish Synthetic Clay - YES!

On my first project I used traditional clay from one of the big name manufacturers. I picked up debris somewhere and spent the better part of the next few days polishing out the dozens of relativley significant scratches that this - or the clay because I didn't use enough lubricant - left behind. It was my first effort and this experience left me very tentative to use clay again.

My next project was to be a 2016 Durango which hasn't had paint correction since new, and which I knew had clearcoat overspray on the front end as a result of the body shop not fully masking the truck when re-clearing the rear hatch. I shopped Autogeek and found Griots Garage Brilliant Finish Synthetic Clay . This seemed a great alternative and I especially liked the idea that I could use it with car wash soap. This would provide the equivalent of many bottles of quick detailer or other clay lubricant and I reasoned that this had to be a good thing.

The truck is my wife's and she's out of town for a few days so I'm going to suprise her with what will be her detailed like-new truck. I worked from the inside out, using a lot of what I've learned here from Mike and all of the other forum and related Autogeek Facebook participants. I washed the truck carefully and thoroughly - I don't want any problems with stray debris again.

Satisfied that I was ready, I went to the synthetic clay product and I used it with a bucket of car wash soap and water mixed with quite a bit more soap than I'd use for typical washing. I worked systematically from top to bottom rinsing occasionally and I am VERY impressed. I could feel the contaminants removed as I worked and there was an obvious difference when they had been removed. I rinsed often and a check by hand afterward confirmed the fantastic result. I especially liked that I could squeeze the "handle" to apply suds as lubricant as I worked - this is genious. The areas with overspray, and the lower rockers required more time and attention, than the rest, but this was by no means laborious. I spent about an hour and fifteen minutes in total and the truck is ready for polishing.

It's too dark to continue so I'll get at polishing and waxing tomorrow. I can't wait to get back to it, and on to my other summer paint detailing projects which now seem a whole lot less daunting. I don't know what professional expert detailers would think of this product, but I think it's fantastic and I really don't know why anyone would use anything else. This is a great product and I recommed it to anyone who's looking for an alternative to traditional clay.

Thanks Autogeek!

Terry

2. Likes SWETM, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Griots Garage Brilliant Finish Synthetic Clay - YES!

if i had to pick up a new clay bar (or alternative) this would be on my radar. glad it worked out for you!

4. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I’ve been singing it’s praises. Sure other products just as good but this things top notch and made quick work of the mustang.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree, did my car and my friend's X5 with GG Synthetic Clay and it saved tons of time and effort. Another quality product from a great company.

8. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I love this product.

I HATED claying before I got this. Together with the Nano sponges for tight areas, I don't dread the clay process any longer.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

10. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like this is a one size fits all product. I'm use to seeing clay or synthetic clay come in grades.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Looks like this is a one size fits all product. I'm use to seeing clay or synthetic clay come in grades.
    I think that if you had really serious above-surface issues, this wouldn't be ideal.

But for well kept paint, it is wonderful.

13. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    I think that if you had really serious above-surface issues, this wouldn't be ideal.

But for well kept paint, it is wonderful.
    So it's a great fine clay, but not for medium to heavy containments. I like polishes, pads and sandpaper in different grades and clay should be no different.

Sorry Paul, not trying to give you a hard time, but JMO.

15. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    So it's a great fine clay, but not for medium to heavy containments. I like polishes, pads and sandpaper in different grades and clay should be no different.

Sorry Paul, not trying to give you a hard time, but JMO.
    You are unsure and indecisive. I get it........

JK, man. You are probably right about it.

17. Likes Rsurfer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have nano skin fine sponge. The Griots definitely more coarse. Would say medium. I won’t let my paint get to where I need coarse.

I get if your doing this for work and see all types of conditions to need multiple coarse grades.

Griots is more marketed towards enthusiasts who take care of their vehichle themselves and this is an awesome consumer grade item

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Likes PaulMys, bob m liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast