autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Coating Wash quick review

Mike P. was nice enough to send me a bottle of this to try out. My two main vehicles are still beading great with PA Cosmic Spritz, etc., and my goal for my first review of this product was to use it on a vehicle with no protection to show the results of the soap by itself.

So I just purchased a new-to-me 2015 X5 M and planned to use this soap on its unprotected paint.

Problem is, the car previously had a coating on it. Despite that I decided that the first detailing on the car would be with this soap, but it was definitely rushed before night time hit and with father duties awaiting.

I still figured I should share this brief review since I went through the motions. I will do another review, more detailed, once I get unprotected paint to try on.

I’ll spare the background and product description since Mike already reviewed it nicely here:

Review: Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Coating Wash

and here:

KILLER CAR WASH - Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Coating Wash

The car had just been washed at the dealership, so wasn’t very dirty after the ride home. I decided to conserve and only use 1oz per 2 gallons water (directions call for 2oz for 3-5 gallons). The consistency is watery, color is light blue. It’s not a thick shampoo like most washes.

Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Coating Wash quick review-img_4175-jpg

Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Coating Wash quick review-img_4177-jpg

Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Coating Wash quick review-img_4178-jpg

The smell is a very pleasant, fruity smell, not too overwhelming. Unfortunately I’m terrible at linking a smell with what it actually smells like. Maybe blueberries??

It was mid-80s, 60-70% humidity.

The car has plenty of swirls and a few bird poo etchings on the hood... but overall the paint was in decent shape for a 4+ year old used car. I will do a full correction in the next month. I proceeded to rinse of the car which, again, had coating on it from the previous owner.

Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Coating Wash quick review-img_4183-jpg

Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Coating Wash quick review-img_4185-jpg

Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Coating Wash quick review-img_4186-jpg

The soap suds‘ appeared as expected, they looked very good.

Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Coating Wash quick review-img_4188-jpg

Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Coating Wash quick review-img_4191-jpg

Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Coating Wash quick review-img_4192-jpg

I told you this was a rushed review, I did not get any pictures of me washing. Next review I will be un-rushed and have my wife take pics while I work.

I should note that the suds did seem to die down after 5 mins, but it sudded back up with a jet from the house.

After final rinse I snapped some new bead pictures. My nozzle is rusted onto my house so I don’t have a flood option. Still, there wasn’t much water to capture. Definitely less water on the paint than my initial rinse, and beads looked good, in no way degraded from the coating-only initial rinse before washing.

Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Coating Wash quick review-img_4193-jpg

Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Coating Wash quick review-img_4197-jpg

Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Coating Wash quick review-img_4195-jpg

Here’s an up close of a spot that still had lots of beads:

Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Coating Wash quick review-img_4200-jpg

Then dried and took final shots, nice and shiny, much more so than when I got it from the dealer:

Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Coating Wash quick review-img_4201-jpg

Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Coating Wash quick review-img_4211-jpg

Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Coating Wash quick review-img_4204-jpg

Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Coating Wash quick review-img_4205-jpg

Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Coating Wash quick review-img_4207-jpg

Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Coating Wash quick review-img_4209-jpg

Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Coating Wash quick review-img_4208-jpg

Overall, the soap is very pleasant to use, has good suds even though they did disappear, another jet brought them back quickly. The main strength of this soap, the protection left behind, did show as the beading and roll off got better after use, but it’s hard to say much else without having tried it on a non-coated car. To be continued...

Thanks for reading.

2. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Likes fly07sti, SWETM liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Coating Wash quick review

Thanks for taking the time to test out the product and also to take pictures and share them here on the forum.

Washing a car already takes a lot of time, stopping what you're doing to take pictures and then "doing something" with them later is greatly appreciated.

4. Likes acuRAS82 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to test out the product and also to take pictures and share them here on the forum.

Washing a car already takes a lot of time, stopping what you're doing to take pictures and then "doing something" with them later is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Mike. Anything from you is an honor!

As mentioned above, I was disappointed to see the car had coating underneath as you brought up the point that for people who don’t have time or money to prep/apply or shell out money for a coating, this car wash may give them the properties that people love about coatings. This is the only car wash product I’ve tried yet that has that capability.

My disappointment from my own test case comes from not being able to accurately and non-subjectively determine how long the protection lasts on this car. I can confirm the car certainly looks shinier after use and the beading properties did improve. I’ll eventually round up a non-coated car to do a similar test and try to have a helper with me when I do.

Post Thanks / Like

Great review and write up and pictures!

And congrats on your new car. Looks awesome and is going to be looking better than ever when you have done the polishing on it. Is it the real M-modell with the bigger engine in it or is it a M-modell where it has the visual exterior and interior eqiupment on it? Either way it's a great SUV!

The über SiO2 wash seems promising. And an easy way to refresh the LSP or with some of these SiO2 car soap you get a protection from them which is quite good. That the suds is going away is natuarally with these soaps and some don't even suds up. But if it's enough lubrication and the cleaning ability is good is what I personally looks for from a car soap. IMO the suds it selfs don't do much. And think it was the chemist at the P&S that said the sudsing chemicals is just something they ad be cause it has always been so. I meen look at the waterless wash or rinseless wash most of them don't have suds in their solutions and they still do it's job. So it's much like the beading vs sheeting from the LSP. And the Meguiars developing that Mike shared where the first versions it the NXT wax was a sheeting wax. Then it where reformulated to be a more beading wax cause of that was what the customers want and expect when it where released. I think it's so with the car soap and the suds and no suds that a car soap has always been benchmarked on the suds for some reason. But with todays knowledge and the magic the chemists can do the suds is not so important.

So was the first impression that it has a good lubrication and cleaning ability from it?

/ Tony

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Great review and write up and pictures!

And congrats on your new car. Looks awesome and is going to be looking better than ever when you have done the polishing on it. Is it the real M-modell with the bigger engine in it or is it a M-modell where it has the visual exterior and interior eqiupment on it? Either way it's a great SUV!

The über SiO2 wash seems promising. And an easy way to refresh the LSP or with some of these SiO2 car soap you get a protection from them which is quite good. That the suds is going away is natuarally with these soaps and some don't even suds up. But if it's enough lubrication and the cleaning ability is good is what I personally looks for from a car soap. IMO the suds it selfs don't do much. And think it was the chemist at the P&S that said the sudsing chemicals is just something they ad be cause it has always been so. I meen look at the waterless wash or rinseless wash most of them don't have suds in their solutions and they still do it's job. So it's much like the beading vs sheeting from the LSP. And the Meguiars developing that Mike shared where the first versions it the NXT wax was a sheeting wax. Then it where reformulated to be a more beading wax cause of that was what the customers want and expect when it where released. I think it's so with the car soap and the suds and no suds that a car soap has always been benchmarked on the suds for some reason. But with todays knowledge and the magic the chemists can do the suds is not so important.

So was the first impression that it has a good lubrication and cleaning ability from it?

/ Tony
    Proud to say this is the real M. 567 horseys. My wife is terrified to drive it (success!!!). When I do polish I will probably take two days from work rather than 1 so I don’t feel rushed in any way.

The Uber SiO2 wash had no issues with lubrication. Very good in that department, and I could feel it on my hands afterwards (gasp, I didn’t wear gloves). I can’t comment too much on the cleaning side since the car had been washed hours earlier at the dealership. I have a full bottle so I’ll be watching that next time.

8. Thanks SWETM thanked for this post
    Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Gyeon bathe+ will add a little...BUT! You have to use 2 or 3 times recommended amount and then that brings new issues of streaking. This seems like a good option

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Likes acuRAS82 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    Proud to say this is the real M. 567 horseys. My wife is terrified to drive it (success!!!). When I do polish I will probably take two days from work rather than 1 so I don’t feel rushed in any way.

The Uber SiO2 wash had no issues with lubrication. Very good in that department, and I could feel it on my hands afterwards (gasp, I didn’t wear gloves). I can’t comment too much on the cleaning side since the car had been washed hours earlier at the dealership. I have a full bottle so I’ll be watching that next time.
    Awesome with the real M version and WOW that will make it to move fast!

Nice to hear it's well lubrication from it. And it's useally is from these kind of car soaps at least the ones I have tested. Must test out the Sonax Wash and Seal soon that's sitting on shelf waiting LOL.

12. Likes acuRAS82 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice write up, looks like I will need to get a bottle. 567 horsepower, get out of my way (my M4 only has 430hp and it moves ).
    2022 Carrera S & Honda CRV Hybrid
    2015 Lexus IS 350, 2016 Ford F-150
    Cobalt 242 (8.1 L block, Volvo outdrive)

14. Thanks acuRAS82 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Need to vent here, nothing related to any products.

Today while leaving the house with my son and his stuff in my hands, the keys in my pocket caused the tailgate to open up as the garage door was opening. I hadn’t yet set the gate height as I have barely driven the X5 M yet. Needless to say, garage door in my crappy single car, low ceiling garage hit the tailgate and now a large scratch, with dent/indentation included.

Anyone know a good touch up place (paint and maybe lesson the slight dent) in Pittsburgh area? I’m not ready to splurge $3000+ on a new tailgate one week after buying this stupid car. Should never have bought anything nice with my luck.

Life really, really sucks sometimes. I’m pissed.

Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Coating Wash quick review-img_4248-jpg
    Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Coating Wash quick review-img_4249-jpg
    Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Coating Wash quick review-img_4250-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Man what an unlucky thing. Hope you get it sorted out. It's so easy to get the keys feature activated. And now when you don't need to be haveing it in the ignition switch it's even more easier to have it do something that you don't want it to do.

17. Thanks acuRAS82 thanked for this post