autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Nano Shock vs. Aquawax, DG 931, MG D156?

This is a bit of a review and a request for feedback on other comparable products.

My normal matience schedule on my personal cars is hand wash & wax, HD Speed, topped with Colonite 476. This combo lasts a good month with very little contaminates imbedding in the paint BUT this process is a lot of work as I have a lot of sq ft of paint to maintain.

I recently acquired a 2005 Mercedes E320, did a complete correction and as part of that I bought a 16oz bottle of Nano Shock to use as clay lube. The car was bad and the Nano Shock was too slick to remove the contaminates with the medium sponge so I put it aside and used something else for clay lube.

So on my next wash I thought I'd try the Nano Shock as a quick detailer / liquid wax instead of going through my normal Speed/476 process, since it was so slick. To my surprise in worked great! The car now beads excellent, it's super slick, and the protection lasts at least a month in between washes and when I do wash it there's the same or less contanimates as the Speed/476 combo after about the same amount of time.

I know I can not keep using the Nano Shock in lieu of waxing for the long term, but it's really nice to complete wash/seal in 2 hours vs. 4-6 doing the Speed/476 combo. I'm thinking I can keep using the Nano Shock as a sealant for at least 6 months before I need to polish/wax/seal, so I can cut down the long polish/wax/seal process to twice a year.

So now I'm almost out of Nano Shock and need to replace it with either more shock or something different. I've done some reading and I've narrowed it down to:
    1) Nano Shock - which I like
    2) Duragloss Aquawax -#951
    3) Duragloss rinseless wash -#931
    4) Meguires synthetic spray wax -D156

Can anyone who has used Nano Shock as a QD/ spray wax/sealer and used any of the other products listed, chime in how they compare and what you like & disliked one vs. another.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Nano Shock vs. Aquawax, DG 931, MG D156?

WOW you need to be applying a combo of Speed and Collinite 476s every month?

If you where to polish with just a finishing polish and apply Collinite 476s. I bet that you would be fine for at least 6 months before needed to be applying anything else. Or do you drive a lot of mileage with the car or do you have some extreme contaminants in your environment? Why I ask is cause it's quite a popular winter protection here in Sweden with 476s. And 3-4 months of road salt on the roads and all that comes with it. It holds up for them who use it.

It's just a friendly notice. And if the 476s actually wears off in a month. I think that you have a combitable problem with 3D Speed. Speed on it's own is not so long lived and thinking it may wear with the rate it's on it's own. I would test with useing a ordinary finishing polish and apply Collinite 476s on it's own. And you will have a base protection that get you the 6 months before needed to be reapplyied.

Do you apply Speed by hand?

Sorry but I have not used Nano Shock. But I would try to be dial in a protection that get you the 6 months. Duragloss rinseless wash at QD strength seems to be a sleeper in the longevity from it. And the cost is very low on it. So I would try that out and see how you like it.

3. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with SWETM. Speed only needs to be used 1-2x a year to revitalize the paint. 476 Should be lasting 6+ months inbetween.

I also have no experience with Nano Shock. Many good spray waxes to maintain the glossy look and add a bit of durability during those 6 months, the DG RW at QD dilution being about as cost efficient as you’ll find.

5. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    I agree with SWETM. Speed only needs to be used 1-2x a year to revitalize the paint. 476 Should be lasting 6+ months inbetween.

I also have no experience with Nano Shock. Many good spray waxes to maintain the glossy look and add a bit of durability during those 6 months, the DG RW at QD dilution being about as cost edgiest as you’ll find.
    what is the ratio.. 3 oz per 32oz bottle?
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality." - Ayn Ran

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CAdetailer View Post
    So now I'm almost out of Nano Shock
    and need to replace it with either more
    shock or something different.
    1) Nano Shock - which I like
    2) Duragloss Aquawax -#951
    3) Duragloss rinseless wash -#931
    4) Meguires synthetic spray wax -D156
    To paraphrase an AGO Forum member:

Quote Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
    D156 should be in the detailing hall of fame...
    it's that good.
    ^^^

But, on the other hand, as Mike Phillips says:
    “Find something you like and use it often”;
    (and, you did state that you like Nano Shock.)

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

8. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    WOW you need to be applying a combo of Speed and Collinite 476s every month?

If you where to polish with just a finishing polish and apply Collinite 476s. I bet that you would be fine for at least 6 months before needed to be applying anything else. Or do you drive a lot of mileage with the car or do you have some extreme contaminants in your environment? Why I ask is cause it's quite a popular winter protection here in Sweden with 476s. And 3-4 months of road salt on the roads and all that comes with it. It holds up for them who use it.

It's just a friendly notice. And if the 476s actually wears off in a month. I think that you have a combitable problem with 3D Speed. Speed on it's own is not so long lived and thinking it may wear with the rate it's on it's own. I would test with useing a ordinary finishing polish and apply Collinite 476s on it's own. And you will have a base protection that get you the 6 months before needed to be reapplyied.

Do you apply Speed by hand?

Sorry but I have not used Nano Shock. But I would try to be dial in a protection that get you the 6 months. Duragloss rinseless wash at QD strength seems to be a sleeper in the longevity from it. And the cost is very low on it. So I would try that out and see how you like it.
    I'm surprised by this as well, Tony.

I have used both Speed and Griot's FCC/CC topped with 476s. With either one, the 476 has lasted WELL over 6 months. Up to 9 for me.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

First I live 1,000ft from a freeway that gets a a million cars a day and I back to street that gets 400k cars & trucks a
    day and my vehicles are outside 24/7 so I get a lot of fallout.

Also the 476 isn't gone in a month but if I let it sit longer than 4-6 weeks without a wash particles start to embed into the paint to the point I can't get them out with just a wash I have to scrape them off/out with my fingernail.

And if I'm washing it, I might as well wax it to make sure it's protected. Plus I like to keep my paint nice.

Since nobody actually has experience with Nano Shock, (that's why I'm posting, I couldn't find review on the Nano Shock as a QD vs others) does anybody have experience between the Duragloss & the Meg's?

Post Thanks / Like

...does anybody have experience between
    the Duragloss & the Meg's?
    I do.

Therefore I am able to specifically prescribe
    Meg’s D156: as I know the truth of the case.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

12. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nix View Post
    what is the ratio.. 3 oz per 32oz bottle?
    The bottle says 3:16, but you can go less concentrated than that and still get good durability.

14. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

First I live 1,000ft from a freeway that gets a a million cars a day and I back to street that gets 400k cars & trucks a
    day and my vehicles are outside 24/7 so I get a lot of fallout.

Also the 476 isn't gone in a month but if I let it sit longer than 4-6 weeks without a wash particles start to embed into the paint to the point I can't get them out with just a wash I have to scrape them off/out with my fingernail.

And if I'm washing it, I might as well wax it to make sure it's protected. Plus I like to keep my paint nice.

Since nobody actually has experience with Nano Shock, (that's why I'm posting, I couldn't find review on the Nano Shock as a QD vs others) does anybody have experience between the Duragloss & the Meg's?
    You may want to try a coating light such as Gyeon CanCoat alone, or SiO2 maintenance sprays on top of the 476. These may have more defense against fallout, and you can use Iron removers regularly without hurting the LSP too much. 476 may also stand up well against Iron Removers.

Since you believe most your fallout is due to location near high traffic, the contamination may be mostly break dust in which case iron removers may be your lowest-effort solution, albeit kind of expensive (would suggest buying a $80 gallon at 25% off = $60 for BF or Mckees).

After the iron remover and wash, you could feel free to only use a spray wax (D156 or DG AW, or SiO2 Spray if you go that route) and every 4-6 months redo the 476, every 8-12 months redo Speed topped with 476.

Above are just suggestions, you get to decide in the end.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast