autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Optimum Big Red Sponge-Review

-1st off I’d like to thank Spazzz for sending me this, I really appreciate it.
    Now here’s my review.

Ok upon unboxing it my 1st impression was that this sponge is alot softer than the Lake Country Rinseless Sponge. They’re completely different.

The 1st thing I did was mix up a bucket with about 2-2.5 gallons of water and 1oz. of Wolfgang Uber Rinseless Wash and let the BRS soak for a couple of hours.

After allowing it to soak for a couple of hours it was time to give it a go on my car.
    This is how dirty the car was. Kind of dirty, but nothing crazy.

I started off by doing a pre spray w/WG Uber@3oz. per 1 gallon dilution.

The moment I did the 1st swipe across my roof, I immediately thought to myself “ok this is going to work”

This is how much dirt came off of half my roof. The other side was equally dirty from the other half...

When I went to rinse the sponge in my rinse bucket w/grit guard, I noticed that it didn’t come nearly as clean as I would’ve liked.

Here’s the rinse water after just that 1st rinse.

So I grabbed the hose with nozzle and cleaned the sponge myself...

As I continued, the sponge became dirtier and harder to rinse clean to the point where it started to feel unsafe to continue.

By the time I was done rinseless washing my car this is what the sponge looked like After I had attempted to rinse it clean with a strong jet from the hose nozzle.

1st conclusion: This sponge doesn’t pair well with Wolfgang Uber Rinseless Wash.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Optimum Big Red Sponge-Review

Part 2. I was finally able to get the BRS clean using LATA and the hose nozzle...

My next step was to try it with a different rinseless wash solution. This time it was Megs D114 @1.5oz. per 2 gallons of water.

This time around, the sponge did a much better job of rinsing clean in the rinse bucket.

This is how both buckets looked after washing the entire car.

And here’s that same wash bucket with a different rinse bucket after washing another vehicle.

Final thoughts: This BRS works well. Do you see dirt on your drying towel? Yes & no, it depends on whether you decide to go over the panel a second time after rinsing the sponge, but either ways it feels safe when using a drying aid and using all sides of your drying towel.
    Does this method induce swirls? I haven’t tried it on any black vehicles yet, but it doesn’t feel like it would.
    Can I see myself switching from multiple towels to this sponge for my frequent maintenance rinseless washes? Yes.

The frequent dunking in the rinse bucket is a minor PITA, but in the end it beats having to deal with a stack of wet dirty towels. Just make sure it’s compatible with your favorite rinseless wash solution or else it may not easily rinse clean during use.

Overall I give it thumbs up.Optimum Big Red Sponge-Review

3. Thanks DetailedByPrecision thanked for this post
    Likes BadgerRivFan, SWETM, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

i have used the blue version of this sponge when it first came out and wasn't a fan (just wasn't for me). it's too thick and would be better if it was half the thickness so there's more flexibility (pliable like a grout sponge) getting into tighter areas and would also soak up less solution (less heavy and on pressure) as well. nice review and if it works for you, keep using it...

5. Thanks PaulMys thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Uber did leave the sponge with stains. N-914 not only cleaned those stains, now it gets no more stains each time I use it.
    Bruno Soares

7. Likes JKDesign, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Eldorado,

All good info, for sure. But wouldn't the most fair test be to use it with ONR, which I think is what it was developed to be used with?

9. Likes JKDesign liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It’s a great sponge with ONR.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline
    2014 Ford Mustang GT Track Pack-Black
    2015 Chevrolet Silverado Crew Cab 4x4- Summit White

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mk9750 View Post
    Eldorado,

All good info, for sure. But wouldn't the most fair test be to use it with ONR, which I think is what it was developed to be used with?
    I’m not interested in ONR. I just ordered more McKee’s N-914.

12. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great review Eldorado2K!

Don't know if it's an interesting thing to hear. But the most used wash media the average Joe and Jane uses here in Sweden is foam sponges in all different ways of how they are cut and the size of them. I will be digging a bit in my plastic boxes to find those that most detailing shops offers. It's like convoluted on the part that touching the paint. With the 2bm wash it feels kind of safe. It can be an environment thing that where I live it's gets more loose and bigger dirt particals if that makes sense. That's for me gets very concerned to do a safe waterless wash or rinseless wash without any kind of pre-rinse. But with a pre-rinse done I will test it out this season with Carpro EcH2O.

Is it faster to do a rinseless wash with the BRS vs mf towels? Or is it more the aftercare without needing to wash and dry the mf towels that you save time in the longrun?

It kind of shows that you live in a big city and get that high amount of black soot on the BRS and the mf towels I have seen before. How is it with acid rains where you live. As I understand it it's able to build up to acid rains where you have a lot of exhaust fumes that gets transformed to this. Just interested if it's something that is noticeble or if it's very rare to happens.

Very generous of you spaaaz to pass the BRS forward to Eldorado2K!

Nicely done with the review Eldo!

/ Tony

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW, try your RW with The Aqua Sponge...very pores! I know the BRS is a forum favorite but I've had GREAT luck when using the Aqua Sponge, well before I used the GD method more often.

Nice to see you review a product and post your experience with it's especially since you were initially not too sure about it IIRCOptimum Big Red Sponge-Review

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Great review Eldorado2K!

Don't know if it's an interesting thing to hear. But the most used wash media the average Joe and Jane uses here in Sweden is foam sponges in all different ways of how they are cut and the size of them. I will be digging a bit in my plastic boxes to find those that most detailing shops offers. It's like convoluted on the part that touching the paint. With the 2bm wash it feels kind of safe. It can be an environment thing that where I live it's gets more loose and bigger dirt particals if that makes sense. That's for me gets very concerned to do a safe waterless wash or rinseless wash without any kind of pre-rinse. But with a pre-rinse done I will test it out this season with Carpro EcH2O.

Is it faster to do a rinseless wash with the BRS vs mf towels? Or is it more the aftercare without needing to wash and dry the mf towels that you save time in the longrun?

It kind of shows that you live in a big city and get that high amount of black soot on the BRS and the mf towels I have seen before. How is it with acid rains where you live. As I understand it it's able to build up to acid rains where you have a lot of exhaust fumes that gets transformed to this. Just interested if it's something that is noticeble or if it's very rare to happens.

Very generous of you spaaaz to pass the BRS forward to Eldorado2K!

Nicely done with the review Eldo!

/ Tony
    I never used to do rinseless wash, I was strictly waterless wash. Time wise it’s about the same, however doing this rinseless with the sponge the 1st thing I noticed was that it can be a bit of a mess due to more water everywhere. I normally get by with 1 small PFM for drying via waterless, but the 1st time I did a rinseless with the sponge my PFM was soaking wet and could no longer effectively dry the last panel.

I’ve come to the realization that doing a pre soak with rinseless solution is completely unnecessary. These last 2 rinseless washes I went straight at it with the sponge and I think things went much better that way.

I don’t think acid rain is much of an issue here. It rarely rains though..

16. Thanks SWETM thanked for this post
    Likes SWETM liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast