autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Quick Flitz Review (Or, How I learned to stop worrying and polish wheels)

A great tip for polished wheels..

First, buy your mom a Buick Encore.

Next, pre-treat the mirror polished wheels with some curb rash and a Pennsylvania winter of road brine, salt, blue stuff, and other assorted evils that our tax dollars pay for.

Spend a few hours washing, paint correcting, and sealing the paint. (You know how.)

Next, liberally apply a wheel cleaner that you trust to remove grime and brake dust. Wait for it to “bleed” purple, be surprised when it doesn't, but rinse it off expecting the same excellent results you’ve always gotten. The wheels will be dingy gray with brake dust seemingly baked in, Try again with a different wheel cleaner that you trust, and get the same result. When they still won’t seem to come clean, even rubbing with a sponge, finger, or microfiber towel, take a moment to recite some of your favorite curse words. Then consider just buying another set of wheels. (Continue cursing as needed.)

OR, grab a sacrificial yellow foam applicator pad and a surprisingly small amount of Flitz. With an unexpectedly little elbow grease, the polished look comes right back. (Before and after pictures below as well as a final shot of the wheel after cleaning the rubber and (dressing it with whatever the hell it is I use). As I had already spent almost three and a half hours on two stage paint correction and sealant, I was too tired to get them 100% perfectly clean. I’ll be taking them off the car to really polish them, then seal with Flitz Sealant. Flitz has always done right by the chrome on my motorcycle and Chevelle. If you haven't tried it, it's worth a shot.

Quick Flitz Review (Or, How I learned to stop worrying and polish wheels)-1-before-jpg
    Before

Quick Flitz Review (Or, How I learned to stop worrying and polish wheels)-2-after-jpg
    Chrome polished
    Quick Flitz Review (Or, How I learned to stop worrying and polish wheels)-3-pad-jpg
    The Tools

Quick Flitz Review (Or, How I learned to stop worrying and polish wheels)-4-final-jpg
    Polished cleaned and dressed.

Epilogue: See if you can time it so that, just as you put everything away and say "I'm going to take the bike out for a bit," that it starts raining THAT (curse word) second!
    Last edited by Jimmy Vegas; 04-10-2019 at 08:41 PM. Reason: formatting
    "All persons living or dead, are purely coincidental."
    - Kurt Vonnegut

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Quick Flitz Review (Or, How I learned to stop worrying and polish wheels)

What's up Jimmy V!

Love the post. I used Flitz in the marine world for years. Mostly on aluminum, and it worked great.

I even made a "jig" for a drill that would fit my wedding ring, lay Flitz down on a soft oil absorb pad, and have the ring shiny in seconds.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello my friend! Sorry for the long absence. I was working nights, then ridiculous hours for a while and am hoping to get some polisher time in this summer and participate in the forums again.

I did a quick test spot on our laminate floors after reading the Flitz website. They may be getting a full treatment soon.
    - Kurt Vonnegut

4. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That is awesome. I'm gonna check the site.

Good to have you back posting dude!
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

6. Likes Jimmy Vegas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Does GM put a clear coat over those polished wheels? I'm sure the Flitz is a pretty mild polish and the results look great, but I'd be hesitant to use a metal polish on clear coat...though I have no proof why it wouldn't be safe.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Does GM put a clear coat over those polished wheels?
    Chrome plated aluminum, no clear coat.
    - Kurt Vonnegut

9. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’ve wondered what people were using on the chrome wheels that keep popping up. I’ll have to keep this in mind.

Post Thanks / Like

I also use Mothers and White Diamond. No complaints about any of them.
    - Kurt Vonnegut