autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: HD Speed still a great product

Quote Originally Posted by WaxMaster1 View Post
    You can go right to Poxy after Speed. Very synergistic.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Good to know. What about from a more broad sense? What types of products would you not put on top of Speed?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hella JDM View Post
    Can we talk about the topping abilities of Speed? Rather, what products are ok to top speed with. Do you need to IPA wipe before topping with anything? Is it ok to top with a coating or coating lite?
    Coating, probably not (clean surface needed). Coating lite, sure but durability may be impacted. Coating maintenance spray, sure. Sonax PNS seems to play well topped on anything, so this could be a long term pseudo-coating option since real coatings probably won’t do well.

There’s been threads about certain sealants not performing well (durability wise) on Speed. Possibly because of the Montan wax in Speed. WG DGPS in particular was discussed from a member. So topping with sealants won’t hurt but beware that some may not perform like they should.

I myself have topped week old Speed with PBL Sealant (but for all I know the Speed could have been compromised by then). The PBL Sealant lasted fine (5-6 months before stripping it).

Waxes, including Collinite waxes if you want longevity have been known to perform well on Speed, based on many accounts from members.

3. Likes Maxreed241, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've topped Speed with Coll 845 and have seen good durability.

Just to throw in a little more opinion on Speed based on how I use it...

I use it sometimes all alone...once around the vehicle then buff off when done for those quick jobs.

And sometimes I use it as a "finish" polish after compounding with my Flex or rotary.

I also use it to spot correct scuffs or transfers for its cleaning abilities.

I have always considered cleaner waxes/sealants as compromise products i.e. not a dedicated abrasive or cleaner or LSP but more of a nice collection of all functions. However, I have seen it clean up rotary holograms nicely. it does have adequately mild abrasives I have also seen it clean road film and paint transfers nicely as evidenced by dirty white pads.

It is a wonderfully versatile product.

Now, having said all that, you could replace HD Speed with your favorite cleaner wax/sealant of choice as Speed's versatility is based on its AIO function. I've had very good luck and experiences with HD Speed after using a few others in that category. Basically, as Mike says, I found something I like and stick with it.

5. Likes Maxreed241, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

How do the pads clean up after using Speed? I bought a bottle of Speed a while back and have a friend who wants me to help detail his new car this spring and this may be the perfect time to try it. I'm wondering does the sealant in Speed make the pads difficult to clean or if I should get a couple pads just to use with Speed?

Post Thanks / Like

I still haven’t cleaned them.HD Speed still a great product

Post Thanks / Like

Speed stained every pad I tried with it, which was annoying.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FocusSTguy View Post
    How do the pads clean up after using Speed? I bought a bottle of Speed a while back and have a friend who wants me to help detail his new car this spring and this may be the perfect time to try it. I'm wondering does the sealant in Speed make the pads difficult to clean or if I should get a couple pads just to use with Speed?

I actually used the Mckees Pad cleaner with good luck, only used once. I always forgot I have a whole bottle.

McKee's 37 Polishing Pad Cleaner For your dual action or rotary polisher.

What I tend to do is once done detailing, rinse pads in water thoroughly. If stained or have residue, make a hot water mixture, mix in some oxiclean powder. Ensure its fully dissolved, spray some APC on the pad surface and then leave them in the Oxiclean solution. Sometimes I'll soak overnight if short on time, then I'll hand wash and rinse multiple times.

I also will otherwise spray them with N914 at paint prep dilution and then wash them.

I cant comment on removing, Speed since I've never used it.

10. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FocusSTguy View Post
    Speed cleans out easily. Especially with the McKee's pad cleaner like 392hemi said.

What I do is: Fill a bucket with about 2 gallons of water and some 3D Towel Kleen mixed in. When I am done with a pad, I spray the McKee's on the face, agitate with a brush, then throw them face down into the bucket.

When I am done with the entire job, the pads rinse out in the sink like brand new.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

12. Likes Klasse Act liked this post
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567