autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 18 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Mothers CMX vs Sonax Polymer Net Shield long term durability test

Hey guys,

Finally got a Mothers CMX cermaic spray. One of the most recent products I have been excited for! I will try to update this and compare some other products as well. Due to weather and garage limitations, I did the best I could.

Date applied: February 16, 2019
    Outside Temp when applied: 27 Farenheit and 70 percent humidity
    Garage Temp when applied: 50 Farenheit and humidity unknown (large apartment complex garage)

Test Car
    2018 Alfa Romeo Guilia in white (no pearl) with approximately 1400 miles. Car is new with very very minimal DISO.

Process
    Car was covered in salt due to snow. Touchless car wash without the fancy addons (the rainx treatment, spray wax and extras)

Mixed Mckees N914 for a rinseless wash, sprayed car with solution using a pump sprayed. Wiped each panel using Shine and Buff towels

Shine & Buff Waterless Wash Towel

I LOVE these towels and own about 30 of them. I have had them for over 2 or 3 years without any signs of wear. I saturate a panel with my rinseless solution, fold in 4 and wipe away. I use about 10 to 15 per wash. I throw each used one in a bucket. Then soak in Oxiclean and a drop of Dawn. Wash and dry!

There was some tar and various other residur on some panels. I used Klasse AIO and a MF towel and easily removed it.

I then mixed Mckees N914 at panel wipe dilution at 1:8. The car is new and had 0 protection. I had applied Sonax PNS previously to the roof to test it out. I had washed also with Carpro Ech2o, but hat protection lasted 2 rainstorms.

I wiped whole car with N914 at panel wipe dilution, to include all glass, trim and wheels.

Drivers Side:
    I folded a MF towel in 4, lightly misted with Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer, I've found this helps prevent the towel from sometimes getting "caught" and falling on the ground lol. Since PNS is not a slick or a very wet product. I couldn't find my MF applicator pads.

I applied to whole drivers side, drivers side wheels, panoramic roof and rear windshield. I would apply to a small section, then wipe it off with a new MF towel.

Passenger side:
    I shook the Mothers CMX vigorously, sprayed on a folded new cheap MF towel. This was a little easier to apply since PNS is hard to see and disappears on white. CMX did feel slicker. I applied to a small section, almost saw CMX disappear and then wipe with a new MF towel. CMX does seem to have a decent chemical odor.

I feel like I need to start wearing a respirator with PNS and CMX. I always wear gloves from beginning to end, including the wash.

My garage has crappy lighting so I couldn't tell a difference. The CMX side does feel slicker. I also applied CMX to both front wheel wells.

I applied Adam's VRT to the tires.

It should cure overnight and I'll go out tomorrow and should see rain/snow this week. Car is garaged indoors in heated garage when home.

I'll update as the car sees any type of weather. I plan to let this test ride out as long as I can until one product fails. Any questions let me know. Thank you!

Pictures arent uploading! I'll try again later

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

2. Thanks acuRAS82, Diner, SpeedRacerXT, Kneel thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mothers CMX vs Sonax Polymer Net Shield long term durability test

Saving for pictures since they arent uploading

4. Likes DETAILROOKIE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Subscribed since we’ll see the same weather. Congratulations on the Alfa,it’s a sweet ride

6. Thanks 392hemi thanked for this post
    Likes 392hemi liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Subscribed.

8. Thanks 392hemi thanked for this post
    Likes 392hemi liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Trying photos through tapatalk now.Mothers CMX vs Sonax Polymer Net Shield long term durability test-20190216_160137-jpgMothers CMX vs Sonax Polymer Net Shield long term durability test-20190216_185532-jpgMothers CMX vs Sonax Polymer Net Shield long term durability test-20190216_185941-jpgMothers CMX vs Sonax Polymer Net Shield long term durability test-20190216_190308-jpgMothers CMX vs Sonax Polymer Net Shield long term durability test-20190216_165234-jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

10. Likes acuRAS82, DETAILROOKIE, SWETM, MattPersman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mothers CMX vs Sonax Polymer Net Shield long term durability test-20190217_153619-jpgMothers CMX vs Sonax Polymer Net Shield long term durability test-20190217_161206-jpgWell had first "wintry mix" exposure. Temp was approximately 28 degrees Farenheit. Drove within the city, fastest speed observed for 30MPH lol.

I apologize as I went from a red car which showed water behavior in photos to a white car. As we know white is horrible.

Day 2

Look:
    Both sides look very glossy, no discernible difference.

Water Behavior:
    On paint
    Both PNS and CMX had similar water behavior, very tight beads.
    When driving beads seemed to fly off on the PNS side earlier.

On glass
    Water bearing was tighter on the CMX side on the glass roof for some reason.

When driving, water seemed to fly off the CMX side at approximately 30 MPH. I had applied both products to edges of front windshield, not full windshield in case of streaking or chattering lol. The CMX on panoramic sunroof had water flying off at 30 MPH. Mothers CMX vs Sonax Polymer Net Shield long term durability test-20190217_155304-jpgMothers CMX vs Sonax Polymer Net Shield long term durability test-20190217_155301-jpg

See attached photos
    LEFT side (US drivers side) is PNS, RIGHT side is CMX

Apologize for bad photos, they just were not coming out in daylight or indoors.Mothers CMX vs Sonax Polymer Net Shield long term durability test-20190217_155307-jpg

12. Thanks SpeedRacerXT thanked for this post
    Likes SWETM, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So is the CMX side beading better? I can't really tell from the pics

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzscarwash View Post
    So is the CMX side beading better? I can't really tell from the pics

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Hard to define better right now. Since it was a wintry mix, the snow would hit the car and melt. Both seemed to have tight beads, with PNS shedding water off the paint at lower speeds.

Post Thanks / Like

Feb 18 2019

Snowed again, but had stopped while I was driving. Car looks very bright and glossy on both sides. Hard to see much in white lol. It is a lot shinier compared to before due to no LSP.

Now for some pics, drivers side PNS, passenger side CMX.

The CMX side as you will note appears dirtier and more dirt/salt/grime clung on. I am not sure if that's any indication of CMX's abilities. This is due to there being way more snow in the wheel wells of the CMX side, so perhaps the passenger side is being driven on deeper on snow?

Rear plastic diffuser and exhaust tips, dont seem any different.

Sorry I feel like tapatalk reduces picture quality. Let me know if any questions.

Mothers CMX vs Sonax Polymer Net Shield long term durability test-20190218_094101-jpgMothers CMX vs Sonax Polymer Net Shield long term durability test-20190218_092805-jpgMothers CMX vs Sonax Polymer Net Shield long term durability test-20190218_092841-jpgMothers CMX vs Sonax Polymer Net Shield long term durability test-20190218_092813-jpgMothers CMX vs Sonax Polymer Net Shield long term durability test-20190218_092833-jpgMothers CMX vs Sonax Polymer Net Shield long term durability test-20190218_092924-jpgMothers CMX vs Sonax Polymer Net Shield long term durability test-20190218_092933-jpgMothers CMX vs Sonax Polymer Net Shield long term durability test-20190218_094125-jpg

16. Likes acuRAS82, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Feb 21, 2019

Nothing new to report. Has been cold and dry. Tried to get these photos of crud on the panels.

Drivers side is PNS and Passenger side is CMX. CMX side appears to have a lot of salt stuck to the surface. Look how abrasive it looks! You'll see same on PNS side as well, but not as much. Not sure if that means anything. Not enough me to make a conclusion.

It will rain Friday, so will see if one side self cleans better. Otherwise I'll spray with water with a pump sprayer and see what happens. Then followed by a spray from N914.

On the CMX side seems it caught some water drops and caused it to clean and roll the salt off?

All I can say is, this shows how abrasive salt is on paint if not thoroughly removed before a wash. To include changing your wash media after each panel. Mothers CMX vs Sonax Polymer Net Shield long term durability test-20190221_114931-jpgMothers CMX vs Sonax Polymer Net Shield long term durability test-20190221_114918-jpg

18. Likes abileneautoworx, PaulMys liked this post
Page 1 of 18 1234567891011 ... LastLast