autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Review - CarPro Skin PPF & Vinyl Wrap Coating

Thank you Avi for sending this product along with a few other CarPro goodies for review.

Product:

CarPro Skin PPF & Vinyl Nano Coat

Cost:

$74.99

Product description from CarPro

Quartz is renowned for offering industry leading protection to hundreds of thousands of vehicles worldwide and we are proud to present their latest offering to you! CQuartz SKIN was developed for application to paint protection films and vinyl film. The greatest enemy of PPF and vinyl is UV damage from the sun, so CQuartz SKIN was designed from the ground up with heavy UV blockers. With both UVA and UVB resistant particles impregnated into the nano structure of CQuartz SKIN, you can be assured in the best skin protection possible for your wrapped surfaces.

Offered in 50ml size, CQuartz SKIN offers resistance to chemicals, salt, and environmental damage as well! This highly specialized nano-coat adds a rich appearance to the surface along with unbelievable water and dirt repellency and a rugged durability measured in years! CQuartz SKIN features easy use in all climates, wiping on and off with ease for anyone trained in coating application! Proper lighting is necessary and some learning curve may apply to newcomers so be sure to visit our professional installers if you are unsure of your abilities.

Protect your vehicle's skin today!

Kit Includes:

• (1) 50ml Bottle CQuartz SKIN
    • (1) CarPro Foam Applicator Block
    • (5) 4" MF Suede applicators
    • Reflective Hologram CQuartz sticker(s)

Features:

• Unique UV infused nano structure
    • Repels UV rays, water, oils, dirt, and contaminants
    • Rich warm appearance
    • Easy to use in a wide range of temps
    • Easy maintenance with "self cleaning" properties (Dirt is easily washed off)

Specifications:

• Expected Durability: 2 years or more
    • Average Thickness: 1~2 Micron per coat
    • Coverage 15ml per coat +/-
    • Water contact angle: 110° or more
    • Minor filling
    • Recommended working temperatures: 40F to 100F

Recommended uses:

• Matte, Satin, or Gloss Finish *
    • Clear Bra / Paint protection film
    • Vinyl Wraps

Directions:

1. Prepare the surface to be 100% oil free and contaminant free (see precautions)
    2. Apply the Cquartz Skin over the surface in an even criss-cross layer.
    3. Work in the coat to be flat without high spots
    4. Let flash for 2~3 min and wipe off
    5. For best performance do 2 layers, 2nd can be applied after 4 hours or immediately if baked with IR lights (where applicable)
    6. Keep out of the elements for 24 hours
    7. Do not subject to chemicals for 3-5 days minimum.

Precautions:*

• Do not use on any surface that cannot be polished until you have mastered the correct application and have proper lighting to do so.
    • Do not apply to a surface that is not 100% clean and oil free.
    • Adheres best to PVC, PU, and TPU films / wraps.

Product description from Autogeek

CarPro Cquartz Skin is a coating designed for use on paint protection film (PPF) and vinyl film, as well as vinyl-wrapped vehicles. CarPro already makes Cquartz-based protection for paint with their line of coatings, but now with CarPro Cquartz Skin, every inch of your vehicle, be it wrapped, PPF’d, or painted, can be protectedfrom harsh elements like dirt, dust, water minerals, and UVA/UVB rays. Not only does CarPro Cquartz Skin protect, but it also enhances – keep your vinyl film and wraps looking new with CarPro Cquartz Skin!

Anyone with any experience detailing vehicles knows that paint can be expensive. If you neglect it, it degrades over time and may need to be replaced – but keeping up with maintaining the perfect finish can be expensive and time-consuming as well. That’s why many people to choose to just wrap it up with PPF film and keep it under wraps!While these types of film will certainly protect your paint, what is protecting the film? That’s where CarPro Cquartz Skin come sin.

CarPro Cquartz Skin features a unique UV ray infused nano-formula that repels UV rays and stop the discoloration, fading, and “opaque-ing”that can occur. But notonly does it protect against harsh UV rays, CarPro Cquartz Skin also protects against water minerals that can stain, oils that can smudge, and dirt and other contaminants that can hinder the PPF or vinyl wraps natural look. In fact, it protects while also enhancing the surface with a rich warm appearance that is easy to clean and maintain!
    CarPro announced this product at SEMA 2018 and is a new product for 2019. This is a dedicated PPF and vinyl coating. As mentioned in the product description it is recommended for matte, satin or a gloss finish, PPF and vinyl wraps.

The new packaging is nice.

Kit contents and recommended areas of use.

Precautions on the other side.

The labels on the bottles look great.

I do not have access to any vehicle that has PPF or a lot of vinyl. So the vinyl hood scoop on my 2002 Camaro will have to do for now. The last time I polished this car I used Essence and Meguiar’s Extreme Marine Vinyl & Rubber Protectant. Which was and ok combination. It spends most of the time in the garage anyway so I don’t necessarily need anything that lasts a really long time.

I went ahead and gave it a light polish with Gyeon Polish and a polishing pad to cleanse the surface. I followed with an Eraser wipe down. Now this is gloss vinyl so polishing is ok. I would not do this for matte vinyl. Be sure to verify if polishing can be done on the material this coating is to be sued on.

I applied product to the applicator and a little goes a long way. I applied it to half of the vinyl and then wiped off to see if the coating changed the appearance. It did not alter the appearance whatsoever. It did leave the finish slick as I leveled it. I ended up finishing the first coat.

Avi had told me in an email that Skin can be applied within 30 minutes. But I looked at the included brochure and also on CarPro US and there is a mention of waiting 4 hours between coats unless IR lights are used. I opted to just let it sit overnight as I went to dinner and applied a second coat the following day.

One thing I did notice is that the coating applicator did not harden overnight. But stayed rather flexible. I believe that this is a good thing for the type of substrate the coating is designed for. To give it that flexibility.

Image is after the first coat.

Image after the second coat. Noticed no additional change in appearance.

Skin goes on relatively easy. Essentially using the typical cross hatch pattern to apply the coating to the surface.

The flash time is going to vary based on the surrounding temperature and humidity. But the wipe off/leveling of the coating is easy. The slickness of surface is felt as the coating is being leveled.

The coating goes on clear and did not alter the appearance of the vinyl.

CarPro mentions that it contains UVA and UVB protection. Hard to test that out but it is good as it will help either the PPF or vinyl surface it is applied to.

At this moment I do not have any photos or videos of the hydrophobic properties of Skin. Stay tuned for some more feedback on that.

I just remembered that I do have headlight protection film on my Grand Prix. I believe they have Exo on them so I will be polishing that off and applying Skin to put that trough daily use. This will give me a better idea on how it applies to clear film.

The last thing I will mention is that the CarPro brochure states that Skin can be removed with a stripping solution. I don’t know what that exact solution is and hopefully Avi can chime in on that.

No more guess work on the question what coating can I use on PPF?

2. Thanks Avi@CarPro, Diner thanked for this post
    Likes Jon TDS, JKDesign, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review - CarPro Skin PPF & Vinyl Wrap Coating

Skin is now available

CarPro Cquartz Skin 50 ml. Kit

4. Dislikes gripaddict disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's been a week since I applied Skin.

The car was not dirty so I just used a spray bottle to test out the hydrophobic's of the coating. It does produce some really tight beading similar to Cquartz UK, Cquartz TiO2 and Gliss.

6. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Likes fly07sti, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a bottle on it’s way. Thanks!

8. Likes The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    No more guess work on the question
    what coating can I use on PPF?
    There’d be no guesswork for me if, and only
    if, Avi will provide for the full replacement of
    any of my vehicles’ “gloss-PPFs” that doesn’t
    attain their expected and warrantied life-cycle.
    Note: The PPF that I use has a 10 yr. warranty.

With that in mind; and, with this PPF Coating
    being stated to last only up to 2 yrs.; (along
    with questions regarding this PPF Coating’s
    stripper, etc.); there is still, IMO, plenty more
    guesswork to be addressed.

Oh yea:
    I didn’t forget about the Matte-type of PPFs
    that can’t be polished...

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Review - CarPro Skin PPF & Vinyl Wrap Coating

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    There’d be no guesswork for me if, and only
    if, Avi will provide for the full replacement of
    any of my vehicles’ “gloss-PPFs” that doesn’t
    attain their expected and warrantied life-cycle.
    Note: The PPF that I use has a 10 yr. warranty.

With that in mind; and, with this PPF Coating
    being stated to last only up to 2 yrs.; (along
    with questions regarding this PPF Coating’s
    stripper, etc.); there is still, IMO, plenty more
    guesswork to be addressed.

Oh yea:
    I didn’t forget about the Matte-type of PPFs
    that can’t be polished...

Bob
    Please feel free to share what else you think needs to be addressed. I’m sure Avi can provide more information.

But how many times have we seen someone come on the forum and ask can I use a coating on PPF. Now they have this an option.

I did ask Avi about the stripping solution and unfortunately I am not able to share that information. He asked me not to publish that information so I have to respect that request. He did say that if someone does purchase Skin then they can reach out to him or another CarPro representative.

As far as matte surfaces. Avi said it works well on not only matte film but matte OEM paints.

He actually sent me these images which I hope he does not mind me sharing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I did ask Avi about the stripping solution and unfortunately I am not able to share that information. He asked me not to publish that information so I have to respect that request. He did say that if someone does purchase Skin then they can reach out to him or another CarPro representative.
    I'm curious why the secrecy about the stripping solution when it's mentioned in the instructions by Carpro. I have 2 bottles on order so to get info about the stripping solution I need to contact Carpro to obtain it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RZJZA80 View Post
    I'm curious why the secrecy about the stripping solution when it's mentioned in the instructions by Carpro. I have 2 bottles on order so to get info about the stripping solution I need to contact Carpro to obtain it?
    Unfortunately that is correct. You could also PM Avi as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Applied Skin to these Charger matte vinyl graphics. Brought them back to life.

Post Thanks / Like

I finally have some time to open my bottle of SKIN and try in on my PPF. Does anyone use the Essense polish on a soft pad to the PPF prior to applying SKIN? I have already did chemical decontamination, and two washes but have yet to try to do a clay. Any tips to try to get best results? Using on both Suntek and Expel films.

Curious,

Kirby

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast