autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rupes 15mm MK II vs. Chinese 15mm...my thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by WRAPT C5Z06 View Post
    Maxshine.
    Maxshine makes griots definitely same quality though l. I bought a maxshine from Jeff Bezos. m15 I believe and had a lot of vibrations just holding it and running. Sent back. The have a new m15 pro. Suppose to be stronger and less vibration. But luckily Autogeek had an awesome tool time sale that let me get a boss g15 for basically same price. Thanks Autogeek!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    Maxshine makes griots definitely same quality though l. I bought a maxshine from Jeff Bezos. m15 I believe and had a lot of vibrations just holding it and running. Sent back. The have a new m15 pro. Suppose to be stronger and less vibration. But luckily Autogeek had an awesome tool time sale that let me get a boss g15 for basically same price. Thanks Autogeek!

the BOSS G15/21 are to GG specs/standards and one example/feature is the premium NSK bearings they use which is not something that is found on most (long throw) polishers. notice the internals/components are laid out (and explained) in the video below and if they were inferior, would most likely not be shown/discussed. listen at 2:37 mark below...

to quote Autopia/AGO member Mike Lambert who sums it up well...
    "I consider a knock off to be a cheap imitation of a current item. Griot's has taken an existing idea and improved on the short comings. Also offering a better warranty and accessories that improved it's performance".

btw (not directed towards you but in general), each person has their own budget, preference, and usage on what they like and can afford. what one person may like in a polisher (keep in mind that all long throw polishers will stall on certain areas of the vehicle), another may not and so forth. probably wouldn't make sense to spend $400+ on a polisher if you were only to use it once/twice a year. what if you fired it up a year and half later and it kicked the bucket (most polishers only have a 1 year warranty), you would most likely be out another $85+ to fix it. buy what fits your needs/situation, that will determine what polisher is best for you. eventually, they will all get you to your destination...

3. Thanks KBsToy thanked for this post
    Likes RZJZA80, DBAILEY liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    the BOSS G15/21 are to GG specs/standards and one example/feature is the premium NSK bearings they use which is not something that is found on most (long throw) polishers. notice the internals/components are laid out (and explained) in the video below and if they were inferior, would most likely not be shown/discussed. listen at 2:37 mark below...

Yeah I’m not sure if the same quality but the maxshine m series pro’s look ALOT like griots. They have the similar looking MACHINED counter weight and although in descriptions that I read they don’t state that they use NSK’s. I asked maxshine and they said that new pro’s use NSK bearings. The said they are not Japanese nsk bearings and I have know idea what is the difference. These are the things Griots touted Now I’m sure a lot of other things (motor/wiring) could be different. I was debating between that one and griots. AG then had a 20% off tool time and that made the boss kit around a 100$ more. Coming with 3 quality MF and 5 boss pads plus the lifetime warranty from griots (maxshine says they have a one year and lifetime?) that is said to be amazing from the users here made it more than worth the difference. I woulda probably bought griots anyways as I live close to them so if ever neede warranty I could just drive. If 350-450 not feasible and need a long through.... doesn’t look bad. For the price though the GG6 is best value I feel.

5. Likes KBsToy liked this post
    Mike Phillips

To the point about vibration... I took the below pictures in 2014 while touring the Milan, Italy RUPES manufacturing plant....

Teaser shots taking inside the Rupes Manufacturing Plant in Milan, Italy

To me.... this is one of the more interesting things I saw while touring the manufacturing plant.

Would anyone like to venture a guess as to what is taking place in the below two pictures?

Sorry this picture is a tick out of focus as I was shooting through a Plexiglas window but I think you can get the idea as to which model tool this is inside this chamber.

What I was told is this is how RUPES does at least some of their failure testing. They turn the machines on, I think at full speed, and let them run to see if they fail due to vibration.

My guess is there's a lot to the precision machining that goes into a tool that enables it to run smooth and also run smooth longer, as in over time, as in over years. The more focus on precision would amount to more time.

Just some guesses. Was interesting to see while at RUPES in Milan, Italy.

Mike Phillips

Also just to add for those that will read this thread into the future and have not seen my article on the topic of pad suitability with RUPES tools or any long through tool for that matter.

The Air Test - Using NON RUPES pads on RUPES Polishers by Mike Phillips

8. Likes dlc95, mbkite, WRAPT C5Z06 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting thread.

I have an XFE 15 that runs so smooth. My Rupes is only a “Mark 1” and the Flex is smoother.

Definitely makes sense that the smoother a machine runs, the better the finish.
    Jim

10. Likes WRAPT C5Z06 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    Yeah I’m not sure if the same quality but the maxshine m series pro’s look ALOT like griots. They have the similar looking MACHINED counter weight and although in descriptions that I read they don’t state that they use NSK’s. I asked maxshine and they said that new pro’s use NSK bearings. The said they are not Japanese nsk bearings and I have know idea what is the difference. These are the things Griots touted Now I’m sure a lot of other things (motor/wiring) could be different. I was debating between that one and griots. AG then had a 20% off tool time and that made the boss kit around a 100$ more. Coming with 3 quality MF and 5 boss pads plus the lifetime warranty from griots (maxshine says they have a one year and lifetime?) that is said to be amazing from the users here made it more than worth the difference. I woulda probably bought griots anyways as I live close to them so if ever neede warranty I could just drive. If 350-450 not feasible and need a long through.... doesn’t look bad. For the price though the GG6 is best value I feel.

I just spoke with a detailer that I respect and he told me he no longer uses his G15 because of the lack of power and increased vibration. He likes the 15 Mark II much better. So many different opinions.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Autogeekonline mobile app
    '03 Corvette Z06

12. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Also just to add for those that will read this thread into the future and have not seen my article on the topic of pad suitability with RUPES tools or any long through tool for that matter.

The Air Test - Using NON RUPES pads on RUPES Polishers by Mike Phillips

This is a great post. I tried this test yesterday. I had the Mark II 15 spinning in the air without a pad and there was some vibration. I attached a Rupes yellow pad, spun it in the air, and no vibration!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Autogeekonline mobile app
    '03 Corvette Z06

14. Likes mbkite, dlc95, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    Interesting thread.

I have an XFE 15 that runs so smooth. My Rupes is only a “Mark 1” and the Flex is smoother.

Definitely makes sense that the smoother a machine runs, the better the finish.
    flex is quiet as well..

some good info about the flex if you haven't seen this video...

Quote Originally Posted by WRAPT C5Z06 View Post
    So many different opinions.
    as well as preferences...

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The Ball Bearing was Invented by Welsh man Phillip Vaughan in 1674. Not by the Japanese.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast