autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Griot's BOSS buffing pads QUICK thoughts...

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    I haven’t used or want to use MF pads in a long time. I also have only one long throw polisher and strictly use it for finishing purposes. For me, the cutting/compounding step is done with a rotary or the 3401 using wool, foamed wool or heavy cutting foam. Then I’ll finish with foam on a 8mm polisher or a 15mm long throw depending on how the paint reacts.

I prefer the true power of rotary or forced rotation to really save time and allow me to truly work on defects. I wish more people would not be afraid of the rotary and spend the time to learn to use them. It is a big learning curve but it pays off huge once you get the process down. While all these newer machines are able to cut very well, nothing beats the speed and effectiveness of the rotary or even a forced rotation like the 3401.

MF pads are cool.... but personally I have zero need to use them.
    I cut my teeth polishing using an old black and decker rotary and still have 2 rotaries in my arsenal (Flex pe14 and a DeWalt) while I love my 3401’s, as I have gotten a lil older my back just can not take being bent over a large roof of hood for hours at a time. With rotary and forced rotation, it makes compounding those large areas that much harder for me. With a large throw machine, all you have to do is adjust your speed and guide it.
    I’m not here preaching large throws are the best polishers, they do have there place. I was back and forth with them for years. I also believe having more polishers is just like having a large tool box with a lot of tools. They all perform different tasks. And as far as using twisted wool, ya it cuts like a mofo but it also leaves nasty holograms. And another benefit to MF pads is you can just toss them in the washing machine to clean them.

2. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I love that black microfiber material on the original Buff and Shine Microfiber cutting pads. I believe It's similar to the Boss MF pads.

They have a great cut, and clean out great with a brush. They always cut better for me than the Megs and LC. Mostly use them with M100, and it usually hazed the paint though. M66 on black b&s foam cleaned it right up though.

4. Likes WRAPT C5Z06 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    I haven’t used or want to use MF pads in a long time. I also have only one long throw polisher and strictly use it for finishing purposes. For me, the cutting/compounding step is done with a rotary or the 3401 using wool, foamed wool or heavy cutting foam. Then I’ll finish with foam on a 8mm polisher or a 15mm long throw depending on how the paint reacts.

I prefer the true power of rotary or forced rotation to really save time and allow me to truly work on defects. I wish more people would not be afraid of the rotary and spend the time to learn to use them. It is a big learning curve but it pays off huge once you get the process down. While all these newer machines are able to cut very well, nothing beats the speed and effectiveness of the rotary or even a forced rotation like the 3401.

MF pads are cool.... but personally I have zero need to use them.
    Rarely, do I need heavy cutting. Most of my jobs are 1-steps. No way I'm ever doing a 1-step with a rotary or Flex 3401 using a wool pad. I love MF pads. They cut well, and at times, they finish good enough not to be followed(hard paint).
    '03 Corvette Z06

6. Likes Goonie75 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I get you Mark. It’s why this industry is much better any more. There tools, products and options where we can really work how we want. What matters is that the end result is the same....SHINY!

I personally get all types of jobs from heavy cutting to show car work. I guess I’m just not a fan of MF pads anymore or I just haven’t really found a personal need for them. Not that anything is wrong with them at all.
    Jim

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12