autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Review: WOLFGANG Iron Remover

Wolfgang Uber Iron Remover

A huge THANK YOU goes out to Meghan and Autogeek for providing this product!

Product Description from Autogeek store
    Wolfgang Iron Remover is designed to make quick works of the pesky iron particles that collect and ruin your paint surfaces. Wolfgang Iron Remover was developed using a formula that changes colors as it pulls iron contaminates from your paint, that way you can see it working. You can use it on more than just paint though! Wolfgang Iron Remover will also expertly remove iron and brake dust from your glass surfaces and your wheels as well!

My Review

Subject: 2016 Honda Civic
    Time Period: November 2018
    Weather: In the low 80s. Somewhat humid

Subject: 1996 Jeep Cherokee
    Time Period: December 2018
    Weather: In the low 60s.

Wolfgang Uber Iron Remover
    Cost: 24.99 (as of 12/18/18/18)
    Size: 16 oz
    Scent: stinky
    Consistency: thin liquid

Background: I first used this product in conjunction with the BLACKFIRE Clay Mitt (thread is here Review: BLACKFIRE Clay Mitt )

Meghan had some great timing when she sent this to me to try out. I was running low on my current iron remover product and was looking to try something new. Luckily, I hadn’t bought anything and I received this in time for this particular “wash and wax.”

Normally, I would go around and spray down the entire car. I started in this usual manner and began with the trunk lid. The Wolfgang Iron Remover began working immediately - I kid you not, it seemed as if started working as soon as it made contact. Haha, at least that’s how I remember it!

I worked my way around to the driver side quarter panel, and was moving toward the front of the car. At some point, I realized that I had forgot to get the rear wheel, so I went back to get it.

That’s when I noticed the trunk lid was beginning to dry up. You can kind of see what it looked like in the following pic.

At this point I figured I better move fast! I need to keep up with the quick acting Wolfgang!

By the time I was getting to the front driver side fender, I glanced down the side of the car…

…. And knew I better adapt to the current conditions. This stuff was working quicker than I’m used to seeing in other iron removers. I’m sure having a warm day out with the humid conditions didn’t help any.

I decided to work smaller sections at a time and began hosing off the panels.

From the prior pics, it’s hard to see the Iron Remover’s color changing effects because of the car’s color. But trust me, in person it was more noticeable. All one has to do is look down, to see the purple hue mixed with the water on the ground….and LOTS of it!!!

I did want to try this out on a white car as well, to better showcase this product. It took some time, but I finally got around to getting the Jeep out of it’s garaging address (I don’t keep it with me at home).

The bad part was, sadly, that the white Jeep didn’t have any serious contamination! WHAT?! That’s just crazy talk. I don’t keep that thing clean at all. I had the camera set up to record, too! Some side by side action with another known brand. Oh well.

At any rate, I thought I’d do a side by side with another product on the bare aluminum wheels. These things are nasty.

Two sprays, simultaneously, on one wheel. Any difference? You tell me.

And if you wanted a close up, here’s that. It has sort of a 50/50 feel to it. Hehe… I wasn’t expecting this 50/50 but smiled when I saw it. The two products didn’t exactly blend together at the bottom, making for this shot 😊

Conclusion: After trying about 4 different iron remover products, I came to the conclusion I’m sure others have come to: For the most part, they’re all the same. They all work. Sure enough, they do. In my case, it has come to deciding based on two things, (1) Price and (2) Scent.

Yes, scent. While all these products stink in their own right, for me, some are quite a bit worse than others.

Something I forgot to mention earlier is the scent. Since most of my work is mobile, I carry the products inside the hatch area of my little Yaris. When I’m carrying some products like strong wheel cleaners and iron removers, I place them as far back as I can. Still, the strong smells carry to the front. I dislike those smells. Once, I had to pull over and ended up tossing out the remaining Iron X I had left. I had a long drive ahead and knew the smell would kill me (not literally).

With Wolfgang’s Iron Remover, I forgot about how bad some of those products can be! Even with my wife in the car; she has a more sensitive nose.

The smell didn’t bother me, or the wife, on the drive home (about 45 min). The smell didn’t bother me as I was using it on the Civic I detailed, either.

To summarize it, Wolfgang Iron Remover is a great product. Works fast and is less stinky. The only drawback I’ve found so far is the price.

Let me change things up regarding price.

Would you get a Rupes, or a Shinemate?
    Would you get a Griot’s, or a DAS Pro?

I'm not saying Shinemates or DAS machines are low quality products (never tried them); nor am I saying other iron removers are low quality, either.

Price can be relative to the individual. Myself, I tend to cheap out on some things while spending the added premium for other things.

2. Thanks cyclops, Diner thanked for this post
    Likes The Guz, PaulMys, SANTA3013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: WOLFGANG Iron Remover

Great review !!!! I had similar results as your when doing some winter prep and decon on my Jeep wheels. Wolfgang Iron Remover works extremely fast. I was very impressed with the results.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

4. Thanks JustJesus thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I acquired some for my white 2015 Accord Sport I just picked up as my daily driver. Now I just have to wait for the weather to warm up a bit.

Post Thanks / Like

Why haven’t you polished those aluminum wheels?

7. Likes JustJesus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the review!!!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

9. Thanks JustJesus thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pats300zx View Post
    Great review !!!! I had similar results as your when doing some winter prep and decon on my Jeep wheels. Wolfgang Iron Remover works extremely fast. I was very impressed with the results.
    I read your review prior to trying out the product. Those wheels did come out looking good!

Quote Originally Posted by damaged442 View Post
    I acquired some for my white 2015 Accord Sport I just picked up as my daily driver. Now I just have to wait for the weather to warm up a bit.
    That weather waiting game can be a pain in the butt sometimes!

Quote Originally Posted by Sizzle Chest View Post
    Thanks for the review!!!
    Thanks for reading!

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Why haven’t you polished those aluminum wheels?
    hahaha. I keep asking myself the same thing! Mostly, it's a matter of time. I garage the Jeep near Huntington Beach. I stay over in the South Gate area. Where I live, I can't exactly keep several cars and the manager doesn't allow for certain things (like hose washing).

And knowing how much time will be involved with cleaning, claying, polishing, sealing.....I'm putting that project off as long as I can!

I started to once, when playing around with Mother's polish that I got as a freebie with an order. Using a MF towel, some elbow grease, and maybe about an hour on this wheel (not as bad as the front wheels) and this is the result (50/50 style)

11. Likes Eldorado2k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post

hahaha. I keep asking myself the same thing! Mostly, it's a matter of time. I garage the Jeep near Huntington Beach. I stay over in the South Gate area. Where I live, I can't exactly keep several cars and the manager doesn't allow for certain things (like hose washing).

And knowing how much time will be involved with cleaning, claying, polishing, sealing.....I'm putting that project off as long as I can!

I started to once, when playing around with Mother's polish that I got as a freebie with an order. Using a MF towel, some elbow grease, and maybe about an hour on this wheel (not as bad as the front wheels) and this is the result (50/50 style)

You should get yourself a Meguiars Dynacone. Once you use that it makes wheel polishing a whole lot easier. If I had aluminum wheels I’d be polishing them all the time.Review: WOLFGANG Iron Remover

13. Likes JustJesus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You should get yourself a Meguiars Dynacone. Once you use that it makes wheel polishing a whole lot easier. If I had aluminum wheels I’d be polishing them all the time.Review: WOLFGANG Iron Remover
    Thought about that one. And the Mother's ball one as well. Some time ago, I ended up picking up some wool ball type dealios. Haven't tried them, yet.

When I do finally get around to the wheels, I'll be sure to post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    Thought about that one. And the Mother's ball one as well. Some time ago, I ended up picking up some wool ball type dealios. Haven't tried them, yet.

When I do finally get around to the wheels, I'll be sure to post
    Are you talking about the white colored felt ones? If you’re talking about the little kit from HF it’s gonna suck. At least it did for me. Lol. Those felt cones & wheels are impossibro the clean once you use them + there’s so many oddball sizes in the kit instead of more of the 2-3 that are somewhat useful.

Lets see if I guessed right. If I did then we’re on the same level of cheapo.Review: WOLFGANG Iron Removerlol.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you talking about the white colored felt ones? If you’re talking about the little kit from HF it’s gonna suck. At least it did for me. Lol. Those felt cones & wheels are impossibro the clean once you use them + there’s so many oddball sizes in the kit instead of more of the 2-3 that are somewhat useful.

Lets see if I guessed right. If I did then we’re on the same level of cheapo.Review: WOLFGANG Iron Removerlol.
    LOL - I'm sure I posted somewhere that you and I may be on the same level, and that one of my friends calls me El Cheapo. (but he doesn't know any better).

They're not felt ones. More like wool pads in various shapes and sizes. Look like LC ones, but bought on some auction site. I hope they last longer than your HF ones. At least long enough for the one set of wheels!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast