autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Review: BLACKFIRE Clay Mitt

BLACKFIRE Pro Detailer's Choice Clay Mitt

A huge THANK YOU goes out to Meghan and Autogeek for providing this product!
    (And more thanks, Meghan, for the follow up with the shipping! It arrived just in time)

Product Description from Autogeek store:

BLACKFIRE Clay Mitt is a specialized wash mitt that uses an advanced rubberized material to safely remove embedded contaminants in your paint. This synthetic coating works the way a traditional clay bar does, but with a lot less mess! BLACKFIRE Clay Mitt will safely remove over-spray, road grime, dirt, industrial fall-out, tree sap and more with just one pass! Engineered as a two-in-one tool, the BLACKFIRE Clay Mitt works as both a wash mitt AND a method of decontamination!

My Review

Subject: 2016 Honda Civic
    Time Period: November 2018
    Weather: In the low 80s. Somewhat humid

Products & Tools
    - Blackfire Clay Mitt
    - Gilmour Foammaster
    - Gilmour Flexogen Hose
    - Other garden hose / sprayer
    - 5 Gallon bucket with Grit Guard insert
    - 3D Pink Car soap
    - Griot’s Garage Car Wash
    - Optimum Big Red Sponge (BRS)
    - Meguiar’s MF wash mitts
    - Gyeon Smoothie Wash Mitt

BLACKFIRE Clay Mitt
    Cost: 24.99 (as of 11/14/18)
    Size: roughly 5”x8”
    Scent: nope
    Taste: yuk
    Consistency: tacky rubbery feel on one side, wash mitt on the other

Background: A dear friend of my wife was looking to get her car “washed and waxed.” Being a dear friend of my wife, I figured I’d throw in some chemical decon as well as some mechanical, prior to laying down the wax. The timing was great for this, as I had a chance to try the new Wolfgang Iron Remover (review in the works) as well as the Blackfire Clay Mitt. Just so happens that I threw out my old Autoscrub disc, and was looking at a new alternative to clays and discs. I was contemplating either the towel style, or the mitt style. Well, you know what I went with.

First up, let’s talk about the Mitt. It came in a package that is to also serve as it’s storing piece. Kind of cool. It measures roughly 5x8 and is shy of an inch thick. I wear a size M glove, and the BF Clay Mitt seems to be just right for my hand.

Initially, the plan was to bucket wash the car using multiple wash mitts. I was then going to use the foam gun (1oz of 3d Pink, 1oz of Griot’s Car Wash, then filled with water) to act as the clay lube. This was inspired by Mike’s Aggressive Wash Method
    The Aggressive Approach to Washing a Car

Unfortunately, on a prior occasion, I dropped my foam gun when it was full. The impact managed to break the canister ☹ I glued it and was hoping it would still be functional. Well, it almost was. The glue quickly failed once the canister was full. I was still able to use the foam gun, albeit 2 handed. One to support the weight at the bottom, and the other to pull the trigger. Oh well. I ended up using this as a presoak to the wash. Moving on..

I washed the car section by section. After washing, I’d use the Clay Mitt to EVER SO LIGHTLY…hold up. I missed a part.

Knowing that claying can mar the paint, I did a test spot. I did NOT want to machine polish the car. Granted, I took a Flex 3401 along with Blackfire’s Paint Cleaner just to be on the safe side. So the test spot. Using the lightest pressure I’ve ever used on a clay tool, I proceeded to do half the hood. I washed, rinsed and dried the test section. Inspected closely. NO MARRING! Sweet, we’re good to go!

Section by section, I washed with a mitt, then followed up with the Clay Mitt. I used the BRS to hold additional wash mix. This came in handy, as the mix foamed up more with the BRS than with the MF mitts. Thankfully, my crazy “take everything with me” line of thinking allowed the use of the BRS. I really thought to leave it behind. Hehe.

I was VERY generous with the wash mix. 1oz of 3D and 1oz of GG to 3.5 gallons of water. I filled my bucket a total of two times. This was enough to wash the car, and act as my clay lube. How did it all come together?

The car has only ever been washed at self serve places….using a brush! Ewwww. I asked if it was ever waxed, and the response was no. But during my initial rinse, I noticed some beading and fairly quick sheeting. Maybe something at the self serve was leaving something behind.

After the wash and clay, the beading and quick sheeting was gone. Replacing it was a sheet of water that barely moved

The finish was coming along nicely. Smooth surface, nice reflections.

After waxing, even better

Take a look at this photo. Where the sun is reflecting off the surface, you can see some swirling. Giving that it was washed with a brush, it didn’t seem that bad to me.

Here’s a zoomed in and cropped photo of the above pic. No marring, just swirling

Another angle of the car facing the sun

And a zoomed in and cropped portion of the above pic

>>>Conclusion: I’m very glad I decided to go with a clay mitt version. Many times, my hand held the clay mitt, and on some vertical surfaces, I had my hand IN the mitt. I felt the mitt would not fall to the ground this way. And I like having that peace of mind.

I had the fear that I would mar the paint, and then have to go over it with the BF Paint Cleaner and the Flex. I had told my wife I wouldn’t be too long, so I avoided that.

With the wash mix I used, and very light pressure, I was able to avoid marring, while still removing contaminants.

I was happy with the results. The car owner was so happy, she gave me a pretty good tip.

Here’s something else: I came back to work the following Monday and saw that AG was having a 25% off sale. My first thought was to order TWO Blackfire Clay Mitts!!! I really was going to buy them. Then I kept adding to my cart, and had to pull away ☹ I was losing myself in the sale. But there you go. I LOVE the Blackfire Clay Mitt so much, that I was looking at getting more right away!

The other nice thing about this mitt is the price. It's significantly lower than the other name brand mitts on the market. I'm a fan of Autoscrub, but at 25$ for the BLACKFIRE version, vs about 50$ for the Autoscrub, i'll take the BF all day long. In all honesty, though, I may end up picking up another Clay Disc for machine application when I know I will polish the paint. Not any time soon, though!!

Product Link: https://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-clay-mitt.html

2. Thanks Diner, The Guz thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: BLACKFIRE Clay Mitt

Great review, nicely done....
    http://Www.gonzodetailing.com

Anything in life worth doing is worth over doing, moderation is for cowards.

4. Likes JustJesus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, atgonzales

Post Thanks / Like

Very well write up review!

Did you need to break BF clay mitt in on the glass first?
    Most clay alternatives has some kind of protection so it won't stick to the packaging it's delivered in. And to wear that down you clay the windows first time you uses it. That's why many gets marring the first time they uses the clay alternatives. And thinks it's not a so great of a product. The clay alternatives gets way more sticky after it breaked in.

Nice finish you got on the Civic!

/Tony

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, SWETM.

Yes, per the instructions, I broke the Clay Mitt on the glass first. I made sure to also tilt the Mitt on the edges to be get all of the clay surface.
    It's what I've done with all my clay alternatives. I believe you're right in that many people out there won't read the instructions and therefore won't break them in properly.

Thanks! I did like how it turned out.

8. Likes PaulMys, Maxreed241, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm a big fan of the mitts, and nano sponges for tight areas.

I'm sure others would argue, but I find the synthetics every bit as effective as clay, and WAY easier to use.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

I also use those smaller sponges for tight areas. They can get into some tight spots!

In my experience, they are indeed just as effective. haha, not having to constantly knead saves time, too.

11. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the review, this is the easiest and cheapest way in my opinion to Clay a car!

13. Likes JustJesus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Meghan View Post
    Thanks for the review, this is the easiest and cheapest way in my opinion to Clay a car!
    You're most welcome. I do believe I'll be using the Mitt more often than the other options!