autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Optimum big red sponge. CarPro hydro2.

Been a very long time since I've posted, but I recently tried some new products and was very impressed.

First is Optimum's big red sponge. I didn't really think a sponge could make that much of a difference, but after seeing several videos of how long it lasts and how well it pairs with ONR/ONRWW I wanted to try.

I was shocked.. I've been using microfiber wash mitts, but the sponges material just picks up the dirt so effortlessly. I would have to use quite a bit of elbow grease with the microfiber to get even half the result of the sponge. I say it's worth it.

Note: I tried doing Yvan's trick of washing with ONR, claying with Optimum Wax as the lube, and drying with Opti Seal. It worked out well, but for a neglected car, I think a regular wash should be performed first. It wasn't covered in mud or anything, but I noticed while claying, it was bringing up a lot of dirt that just ONR couldn't get alone. Otherwise it's a great trick and very fast, very glossy look and feel at the end.

Also as others have said, it doesn't fit under door handles or tight spots. The clay mitt got those areas though.

-------

Next, CarPro hydro2. After washing and prepping my cousins new Jaguar, (optimum car wash, power clean, ONR, glide, griots clay mitt, hyper polish on polish microfiber pad) I decided to use the hydro2. What really is there to say? It's exactly as advertised. Stupid easy application, and super hydrophobic quality. Love it.

2. Likes OMGClayAiken liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Big Red Sponge has been my favorite washing media for at least a year now. Great choice!

CarPro Hydro spectacular at what it does. I think I may need to go back to something like that or at least have it as a crunch time product.

Although, I will say though that I thoroughly enjoy EVERY aspect of Jescar Power Lock. Something about it...

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Optimum big red sponge. CarPro hydro2.

Yeah mate, this sponge has me intrigued.

Logically it goes against the grain but evidently is nothing like the yellow dog bone sponges we all used to use.

How’s the texture and density? and better yet, how’s the scratching?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WristyManchego View Post

Logically it goes against the grain but evidently is nothing like the yellow dog bone sponges we all used to use.

Hope the OP can also chime in on this one also—but when used for the designed purpose, meaning with ONR, it’s works as described. I use it with one bucket with a grit guard. It releases dirt once back in contact with ONR.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but in one of the videos, Yvan mentioned that Optimum went through over three dozen foam samples before coming to this final product. It about as dense as a Rupes white foam pad to say the least and obviously more porous.

As car as scratching, haven’t noticed at all. Again, Optimum doesn’t set up to develop poor products. I’m sure this is taken into consideration.

I wash to polish most of the time as well as protect. I don’t recommend with a muddy car obviously so...

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WristyManchego View Post

It feels very firm, yet it's very stretchy. Yvan said they went through over 40 different types before choosing theirs. No scratching as far as I could tell.

Yes I also use a grit guard, I like to pass the sponge over it to help it release the dirt more. Habit.

Post Thanks / Like

Very interesting.

Stretchy makes sense, I’m imagining a polymer that is dry sticky but doesn’t absorb the lubricant so it works especially well with ONR enabling it to act a little like a clay towel or mitt.

Does that vision fit your experience with it?