autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Iron remover

Post Thanks / Like

Iron remover

So I have been using IronX for some time but this past month or so I tried Adam's Iron remover but IronX seemed a little better. Adams did well but needed to do another pass at times. Has anyone else tried Adam's iron remover over IronX? The price and just the scent of Adams is almost worth it. Let me know your thoughts.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Iron remover

I tried Adams on daily driven 2015 car paint and there was very little color change. Not impressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Most iron removers contain the same ingredients. Some are more diluted than others. I just buy the cheapest and have had great success.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Most iron removers contain the same ingredients. Some are more diluted than others. I just buy the cheapest and have had great success.
    I usually agree with this statement, but have reverse results. Kinda like using Scott's brand fertilizer for my grass. They all usually have the same active ingredient, but my results are abysmal with the off brands. IronX in my opinion is the Scott's in the grass fertilizer world.

5. Likes rmtaylor51, 1500canoe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Delsil View Post
    So I have been using IronX for some time but this past month or so I tried Adam's Iron remover but IronX seemed a little better. Adams did well but needed to do another pass at times. Has anyone else tried Adam's iron remover over IronX? The price and just the scent of Adams is almost worth it. Let me know your thoughts.
    That is my experience as well. I have tried 3 other Iron Removers after using Iron-X: Dodojuice Ferous Dweller, Bocar's Iron Remover (local company) and Optimum Ferrex.

Ferrous Dweller wasn't bad, but it wasn't as good as Iron-X.

Bocar's product is total crap. Not only doesn't it turn purple on any vehicle (I was told it might have to do with the ingredients they use) but even if I spray a ton of it on a rusted iron deposit, it doesn't do anything to it. Only good thing is that it was cheap so I did not waste a fortune on it.

Ferrex is a super disapointing. I purchased it for 2 reasons: 1) It's supposed to take out tar as well as Iron. 2) It's a bit cheaper than Iron-X. Well... it doesn't do anything to tar, at all. It's very ineffective compared to Iron-X. It stains the paint if you leave it too long. And when I say too long, if you leave it on the paint long enough for it to react to the iron, it's too late. So now what I do is I spray it on, then I immediatelly foam the car. That dilutes the product but it keeps it wet and it doesn't seems to stain. I can't wait for my bottle to be empty to order some Iron-X.

Scott from Dallas Paint Correction was raving about Meguiars Mirror Brite wheel cleaner. Unfortunatelly I have not seen it locally. But you might want to give that a try, it's about half the price of Iron-X and in the videos I saw, it looked like it worked just as well (to be expected from Meguiars).

7. Thanks Avi@CarPro thanked for this post
    McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Mmmmmm EHHHHHHH

The main component starts out the same, but that's where the similarities end. This component goes through several refining processes (or should, if it's made by a chemist that knows what they're doing). The more refined you make this component, the less it smells and the more expensive it costs.

Just getting a hold of this one component is no easy feat; formulating it to be surface-safe is another obstacle.

It's easy to assume. But you know what they say about those that assume....

It's also worth pointing out that if there's no color change, that's actually a good thing. That means the paint is not heavily contaminated (unless you compare X product side-by-side to Y product and notice a difference with the way the two change colors).

9. Likes MikeC78, SWETM, VISITOR, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

3D BDX works great and is affordable.

Post Thanks / Like

I also recently tried the 3D BDX. Agree that it's very affordable, as is most of the 3D line. The smell wasn't too bad at all. I got very little color change, but I just figured that was a good thing, and chocked it up to limited contamination. I was surprised as the car hadn't been decontaminated in over a couple years. Proceeded with claying afterwards, and baggie test came out clean. So, as Nick points out in previous post, in my case, it was a positive sign that I had little color change.

Post Thanks / Like

I went to a local presentation yesterday. Chemical company was presenting some of their products which included a fallout remover that is based on an acid extracted from beets. That reminded me that Hydrofluoric acid (wheel acid) is the best fallout remover that you can use. It is more hazardous to the health but it is far more effective than anything else. It is also the best water spot remover, by a long shot. My issue with it is that it kills every sprayer I have used in a seriously short amount of time. Sometimes I can't even complete the work on 1 single car before a brand new acid resistant sprayer dies on me.

So if you are strugling to find a fallout remover that works well, give Meguiars Wheel Brightener a try. Just be very cautious using it. I think I will give their beet acid cleaner a try next time I order products. I have not seen their pricelist but it's manufactured localy and they make the products for a national chain here (Simoniz) so they have large volume and about 160 products. I am hoping the quality will match what Meguiars and other large companies do, at a lower cost because I won't have to pay heavy delivery fees from the USA.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    I went to a local presentation yesterday. Chemical company was presenting some of their products which included a fallout remover that is based on an acid extracted from beets. That reminded me that Hydrofluoric acid (wheel acid) is the best fallout remover that you can use. It is more hazardous to the health but it is far more effective than anything else. It is also the best water spot remover, by a long shot. My issue with it is that it kills every sprayer I have used in a seriously short amount of time. Sometimes I can't even complete the work on 1 single car before a brand new acid resistant sprayer dies on me.

So if you are strugling to find a fallout remover that works well, give Meguiars Wheel Brightener a try. Just be very cautious using it. I think I will give their beet acid cleaner a try next time I order products. I have not seen their pricelist but it's manufactured localy and they make the products for a national chain here (Simoniz) so they have large volume and about 160 products. I am hoping the quality will match what Meguiars and other large companies do, at a lower cost because I won't have to pay heavy delivery fees from the USA.
    Have you tested the Kwazar Venus Acid Line pump sprayer? Think AGO has got the wrong description and has the description of the Solvent Line black bottles. The Acid Line has the red color on them. Be carefull to look if it is the Acid Line of the spray bottles. As they use red color on both the general sprayer and the Acid Line. The general spray bottles can come in different colors. And Solvent Line is black and Acid Line is red and Alka Line is dark blue for high alkaline products like super degreaser. Have had an acidic based wheel cleaner in a Kwazar Acid Line spray bottle for a year now and undiluted for the extreme cleaning on some wheels I clean. It's still works like the first day. Have the same wheel cleaner diluted 1:10 for general cleaning in a generic Meguiars spray bottle. And think I have to switch the sprayer next time I'm going to use it.

Kwazar Venus Super HD Compression Sprayer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast