autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Iron remover

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Iron remover

It's great Eldorado that the Kwazar bottles holds up for you. That says the claims from Kwazar is good. And it's not so it's breaks down when you go to ph 12.1 lol. But it can have a shorter life with use with chemicals above the claims. Not saying it will and it's over a very long use. The one product if only going by the ph level in concentrate that you noted that is a bit out of range. Would be Meguiars non-acid wheel cleaner d143 which has ph 13.5. And very interesting when compared to d140 which is slightly acidic based. Both states to be corrosive and wonders how much it will impact on bare metalls. Think it's when you left it on to long it can be doing some etching. And if used normal it's quite safe to use.

You also mentioned d120 glass cleaner. That one is ph neutral in concentrate. But there you come into something else since it's alcohol based. And also solvent based products is in this category. There it's not about the ph level from them but more the concentration of the alcohol and solvent in the product. And what they don't is compatible with. Know I'm not a chemist and just a information digger with what interesting me. There are some different seals used in the spray bottles and also different qualities that suits different based chemicals better than the other. The real difference between them I have not digged deep enough to explain properly. What I do think is that just saying a sprayer is chemical resistant is to stretch the claim of it's resistant to every chemicals out there. Otherwise all would have the same seals and work always with every chemical product you use in them. Some can last up to a year with a chemical not suited for just that sprayer. But to buy a Kwazar sprayer every year can be costly. That's why I buy and use the different lines of them to have them working in the longrun and use the recommended chemicals in them. And as said if they are on the claimed ph level or slightly outside of the claim they could last a long time too. It's more trial and error with it and see what happens.

Will see if I can put the Kwazar bottles I have in one picture. I'm a horder and can not det a good sale go by LOL. The last one was the Kwazar Venus Alka Line pump sprayer that was on sale when I was buying other products LOL.

I still think AGO would look up to offer the spare parts seals the Kwazar has. Then even if pricey bottles and if you where to use a chemical that damage the seals. It would not cost so much to repair them. Around 6-7$ it's the price for them here in Sweden.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Iron remover

Iron fallout removers are a huge profit center and grossly overpriced for the active ingredients. Thioglycolic acid and Oxalic acid are dirt cheap chemicals when purchased in 5 gallon or especially 55 gallon drums. My wife is a chemical engineer and I’m an engineer that took a lot of chemistry in college :-)

Some people also use hydrofloric acid because it’s a weak acid that is particularly good at dissolving oxides, but the problem hydrofloric acid is while it’s a weak acid, it does dissolve glass! Thus, I wouldn’t use it on a car.

Buy the cheapest iron/fallout remover. Use Meguairs Wheel Brite. Paying outrageous prices for a 16-20 oz bottle is silly. I don’t bemoan profits (heck, I have an MBA) but some iron/fallout removers are crazy-priced.

3. Likes Eldorado2k liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123