autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Iron remover

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Iron remover

Manufacturers are not much help when trying to choose an iron removing product. I have used Iron-X, Britemax, McKees, Gyeon, and all have worked to my satisfaction. They removed iron. Even if you can get the msds for the products there is not a percentage of the iron removing chemical given. If I was a manufacturer and I had the best iron remover I would advertise it that way and give a reason, none do. So this tells me that they are very similar. Now if you buy an off brand and don’t know what’s in it, well that’s on you. I don’t care if they stink, just as long as they work.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Have you tested the Kwazar Venus Acid Line pump sprayer? Think AGO has got the wrong description and has the description of the Solvent Line black bottles. The Acid Line has the red color on them. Be carefull to look if it is the Acid Line of the spray bottles. As they use red color on both the general sprayer and the Acid Line. The general spray bottles can come in different colors. And Solvent Line is black and Acid Line is red and Alka Line is dark blue for high alkaline products like super degreaser. Have had an acidic based wheel cleaner in a Kwazar Acid Line spray bottle for a year now and undiluted for the extreme cleaning on some wheels I clean. It's still works like the first day. Have the same wheel cleaner diluted 1:10 for general cleaning in a generic Meguiars spray bottle. And think I have to switch the sprayer next time I'm going to use it.

Kwazar Venus Super HD Compression Sprayer
    Thank you i will order one next time I place an order with Autogeek. If this really can resist Wheel Brightener, you will have made me the happiest man in the world Dealing with this issue has as been very frustrating.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    Thank you i will order one next time I place an order with Autogeek. If this really can resist Wheel Brightener, you will have made me the happiest man in the world Dealing with this issue has as been very frustrating.
    With all my pump sprayer I turn them upside down and spray out the last of the product. Then release the pressure in the bottle. May save the pump sprayer a little longer. Know they have the Kwazar Venus Pro bottles which is those you can hold upside down and they still spray product LOL. So with those I just release the pressure and gap the sprayer button and hope it's not so much product left on the seals. Kwazar has spare parts to all their spray bottles. Would be nice if you the other side of the pond was able to get those. Have not been haveing to use one of those yet though. I have a Epoca foam pump sprayer that clogged after the first use. Will have to see if I can get that one working again. The mesh filters is sensitive in that case when leaved unattended. Look up if you can find the distributor of Kwazar. So you have the option to get spare parts if it goes wrong. The only thing I can think of is if Wheel Brightener has some other chemicals in it other than the acid that is not compatible with the viton seals used in the Kwazar Venus Acid Line pump sprayer. The most common thing is the use of chemicals in the wrong bottles. For an example if useing the Meguiars D101 or D108 in the generic Kwazar that are light blue and if it's not noted which line it is on the different colors double sprayer bottles. With a ph level 13 in concentrate in D101 and ph 13-13.8 in D108. Those sprayers will not last that long. IIRC the recommend ph level range is 5-12. So with the stronger dilution ratio 1:4 you can have trouble with the sprayers to last. And I looked up the ph level of Wheel Brightener and in concentrate it's 4.5-5.5. So maybe with the dilution of 1:4 the generic Kwazar sprayers could work. And in the 1:10 it should be working. I would get the Acid Line for being on the safe side. The Kwazar foam pump sprayer with d140 and 1:10 and foaming it on the wheels would be very interesting to test. To bad they are so pricey. So without have access to spare parts it would be a to much of a risk to test.

The pump sprayer is so great to use. And even the double action spray bottles is great when you need to spray out a lot of product. It's a little hard to remember to move the sprayer when you releasing the trigger at first. But when the technique gets better it's quite fast to apply with those too.

Hope the Kwazar Venus Acid Line pump sprayer is working for you when you get it.

Post Thanks / Like

The most common thing is the use of chemicals in the wrong bottles. For an example if useing the Meguiars D101 or D108 in the generic Kwazar that are light blue and if it's not noted which line it is on the different colors double sprayer bottles. With a ph level 13 in concentrate in D101 and ph 13-13.8 in D108. Those sprayers will not last that long. IIRC the recommend ph level range is 5-12. So with the stronger dilution ratio 1:4 you can have trouble with the sprayers to last. And I looked up the ph level of Wheel Brightener and in concentrate it's 4.5-5.5. So maybe with the dilution of 1:4 the generic Kwazar sprayers could work. And in the 1:10 it should be working. I would get the Acid Line for being on the safe side. The Kwazar foam pump sprayer with d140 and 1:10 and foaming it on the wheels would be very interesting to test.
    I use LATA full strength in the normL Kwazar double sprayer and it has no issues. I haven’t checked, but I’d be willing to bet LATA is far from ph neutral.

The only problem I had was this little notch broke off during use and now it won’t pull the trigger. I haven’t hacked it yet, but I plan to try a few things to see if I can fix it. See that hole?

In my “acid” Kwazar pump sprayer I usually keep it full with either Megs D101@10:1 or Renny Doyles Carpet Bomber@5:1 which is what’s in there right now. Zero issues. No special care taken. For a while I was filling it with Megs D143, but it works horrible in that sprayer because all it wants to do is foam and then wastes a ton of product.Iron remover

This regular Kwazar double sprayer is perfect for Megs D143@2:1. It pumps it out fast to cover wheels & tires and somehow doesn’t even consume alot of product. I don’t know how it manages to do that but it’s great. Always full, zero issues.

As far as Wheel Brightener, I don’t even bother switching out the nozzle after use anymore because this particular chemical resistant sprayer has been in there for about 5 months at least and still works perfectly.

I’ve tried the Tolco Acid Resistant Sprayer and they suck. IME they failed within days. I dilute Wheel Brightener @4:1 with distilled water. Don’t even bother diluting it @10:1, you might as well just use an ordinary ineffective wheel cleaner if you’re going to do that.

I wish I had a definitive answer as to why sprayers fail, but mine seem to last pretty long and the last Tolco Chemical resistant sprayer I had fail was on a bottle of Megs D120 glass cleaner so go figure. IMO it died of natural causes.

5. Likes Maxreed241, SWETM, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Put a little bolt with a nut in there, Ric.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

7. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Likes JustJesus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

With all my pump sprayer I turn them upside down and spray out the last of the product. Then release the pressure in the bottle. May save the pump sprayer a little longer. Know they have the Kwazar Venus Pro bottles which is those you can hold upside down and they still spray product LOL. So with those I just release the pressure and gap the sprayer button and hope it's not so much product left on the seals. Kwazar has spare parts to all their spray bottles. Would be nice if you the other side of the pond was able to get those. Have not been haveing to use one of those yet though. I have a Epoca foam pump sprayer that clogged after the first use. Will have to see if I can get that one working again. The mesh filters is sensitive in that case when leaved unattended. Look up if you can find the distributor of Kwazar. So you have the option to get spare parts if it goes wrong. The only thing I can think of is if Wheel Brightener has some other chemicals in it other than the acid that is not compatible with the viton seals used in the Kwazar Venus Acid Line pump sprayer. The most common thing is the use of chemicals in the wrong bottles. For an example if useing the Meguiars D101 or D108 in the generic Kwazar that are light blue and if it's not noted which line it is on the different colors double sprayer bottles. With a ph level 13 in concentrate in D101 and ph 13-13.8 in D108. Those sprayers will not last that long. IIRC the recommend ph level range is 5-12. So with the stronger dilution ratio 1:4 you can have trouble with the sprayers to last. And I looked up the ph level of Wheel Brightener and in concentrate it's 4.5-5.5. So maybe with the dilution of 1:4 the generic Kwazar sprayers could work. And in the 1:10 it should be working. I would get the Acid Line for being on the safe side. The Kwazar foam pump sprayer with d140 and 1:10 and foaming it on the wheels would be very interesting to test. To bad they are so pricey. So without have access to spare parts it would be a to much of a risk to test.

The pump sprayer is so great to use. And even the double action spray bottles is great when you need to spray out a lot of product. It's a little hard to remember to move the sprayer when you releasing the trigger at first. But when the technique gets better it's quite fast to apply with those too.

Hope the Kwazar Venus Acid Line pump sprayer is working for you when you get it.
    After doing a car I always spray water with the sprayer to clear any remaining product in it. But as I said, often the sprayer fails as I am using it. So there is no way around that.

As for PH level of wheel brightener... I would assume it would be really low. Probably in the range of 2. It is a wheel acid, I would expect it to be extremelly acidic. All I found on the Meguiars forum was one guy saying it was 5.5... I really have a hard time believing that. This product is supposed to be able to etch glass. 5.5 is almost neutral...

Post Thanks / Like

Iron remover

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    After doing a car I always spray water with the sprayer to clear any remaining product in it. But as I said, often the sprayer fails as I am using it. So there is no way around that.

As for PH level of wheel brightener... I would assume it would be really low. Probably in the range of 2. It is a wheel acid, I would expect it to be extremelly acidic. All I found on the Meguiars forum was one guy saying it was 5.5... I really have a hard time believing that. This product is supposed to be able to etch glass. 5.5 is almost neutral...
    Yup, it is something like 5-5.5 because not too long ago I had asked Jeff from Gyeon about whether a wheel cleaner like Wheel Brightener which I like to use for maintenance cleaning could be used on wheels coated with Gyeon Rim without stripping or degrading it and he said it would be fine because Gyeon Rim can handle anything between 4.5 to 11 on the ph scale without it removing it.

People tend to freak out whenever they hear Wheel Brightener because the thought of “acid” triggers zombie looking creatures in their heads, but the product isn’t as crazy as some fear mongers make it out to be. If it was so outrageously dangerous it outta have a higher hazard rating than Megs Non Acid Wheel Cleaner D143, but they’re actually both rated equal at level 3. If it was such a hazard do you think just anyone could just buy a gallon of it here on Autogeek? I don’t think so.

FYI Megs D101 APC dispenser bottle has this carcinogen hazard label on it [Creepy looking image eh?] and I don’t see anyone up in arms living in fear of D101...

Btw D101 has a hazard rating of 2.

10. Thanks Maxreed241 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Put a little bolt with a nut in there, Ric.
    You’re a real man of genius. It worked perfectly.Iron removerIron remover

12. Likes PaulMys, JustJesus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Yup, it is something like 5-5.5 because not too long ago I had asked Jeff from Gyeon about whether a wheel cleaner like Wheel Brightener which I like to use for maintenance cleaning could be used on wheels coated with Gyeon Rim without stripping or degrading it and he said it would be fine because Gyeon Rim can handle anything between 4.5 to 11 on the ph scale without it removing it.

People tend to freak out whenever they hear Wheel Brightener because the thought of “acid” triggers zombie looking creatures in their heads, but the product isn’t as crazy as some fear mongers make it out to be. If it was so outrageously dangerous it outta have a higher hazard rating than Megs Non Acid Wheel Cleaner D143, but they’re actually both rated equal at level 3. If it was such a hazard do you think just anyone could just buy a gallon of it here on Autogeek? I don’t think so.

FYI Megs D101 APC dispenser bottle has this carcinogen hazard label on it [Creepy looking image eh?] and I don’t see anyone up in arms living in fear of D101...

Btw D101 has a hazard rating of 2.
    After you use Gyeon Rim do you need a strong cleaner? After using Hydro2 all I find necessary is soap and water to remove brake dust.

Post Thanks / Like

Iron remover

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    After you use Gyeon Rim do you need a strong cleaner? After using Hydro2 all I find necessary is soap and water to remove brake dust.
    IMO spray on hose off beats having to lean over and scrub, even if it’s a light scrub I’ll take spray on hose off any day of the week. If I could spray on hose off to clean my car I’d probably do it... I say probably only because I’m not willing to give up my current products that I use and like go strictly Griots + I don’t have a pressure washer anyways. Lol.

IMO cleaning wheels with a wash mitt would always be able to do the job but I never do it that way because there’s simpler ways to do it.

Sorry I didn’t mean to go off on that minor rant.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast