autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Review: BLACKFIRE Engine Degreaser

Review BLACKFIRE Pro Detailer's Choice Engine Degreaser

A huge THANK YOU goes out to Meghan and Autogeek for providing this product!

Product Description from Autogeek store

BLACKFIRE Engine Degreaser is a non-toxic, biodegradable formula used to remove crud and oil from your engine and surrounding areas. BLACKFIRE Engine Degreaser uses a gentle formula that will not harm your engine’s components or the paint, plastic, and glass surrounding your engine compartment. Engine bays are a dirty area – they’re exposed to oils, dirt, grime, and all sorts of other crud – but BLACKFIRE Engine Degreaser will get that cleaned in no time!

My Review

Subject: 2014 Kia Sportage
    Engine: 2.4L GDI
    Mileage: 60k
    Time Period: September 2018

Products & Tools
    -Metro Blaster SideKick
    -Black MF towels
    -BFAIOTT - Blackfire All In One Trim & Tire Protectant (old[er], discontinued product)
    -Double sided applicator (yellow mesh / grey MF)
    -BFED - BLACKFIRE Engine Degreaser (product being reviewed)
    -BFWW - Blackfire Waterless Wash Concentrate
    -32oz Wide mouth bottle (with BFWW)
    -Garden style pump sprayer (tap water)
    -Plastic bag
    -Gloves (safety first)
    -Engine detailing brush

BLACKFIRE Engine Degreaser
    Cost: 24.99 (as of 10/17/18)
    Size: 32oz bottle with spray head
    Scent: Light sent, can’t place it. Definitely not a harsh chemical odor.
    Taste: I didn’t try it. (but one never knows) – DO NOT taste this
    Consistency: Liquid. Thin enough to be sprayed

Starting off. Visual inspection of the engine bay. I was looking for sensitive spots (ECU, alternator), as well as potential tough (grimey) spots. The engine bay could use some TLC. After removing loose debris like leaves, I gave it a quick vacuum to pick up any other dirt / debris that could come off easily. I then covered the alternator. Here’s what the bay looks like

Initial cleaning. Now that the alternator was covered up, I sprayed water over the left side of the engine bay (facing the car). I only did half of it since the sun was coming up quick and I didn’t want any of the cleaners to dry on the car. Once water was everywhere, I then sprayed some BFWW all over as well. Right away, some of the dirt was being loosened and pushed around just from the spray bottle of BFWW. I let it soak for a minute or two. Up next, I sprayed BFED on the spots I noted earlier during the inspection. Things like the engine mounts, alternator bracket (I left this part exposed, and was careful to wrap the bag around, and in between the brackets). Again, I let the cleaner soak for a few minutes. I proceeded to agitate with the engine detailing brush. I did this to pretty much everything! From the cowl cover, to shock towers, overflow tank, radiator shroud/covers, etc.

Once I was satisfied that all the dirt was agitated and ready to be rinsed off, I took the pump sprayer and rinsed off all the engine bay that was cleaned. I followed up with air drying with the SideKick and took the MF towels to some of the parts that were still wet. Here are some 50/50 shots of the just-cleaned side vs the untouched side.

Satisfied with how this turned out, I pushed the Kia up several feet to get some shade. (I was actually going to drive it in, and luckily remembered the bag on the alternator! Whoa. Close call, man). After getting the shade, I repeated the process on the driver side.

Once that was said and done, it was time to play dress-up! I took the MF applicator and squirted some of the BFAIOTT onto it. Working the product on just about all plastic surfaces and even the rubber hoses. It helped by adding some sheen to the rubber and the plastics. Also, it leaves protection behind! I also went over all those bits with the black MF towels to remove any excess product. Here’s what I was rewarded with!

Conclusion: All these products used worked out well for this little project. But to zero in on the BFED, I would like to point out some things: First, I didn’t have to use a ton of product. The sprayer head did a fine job dispersing the product. The BFED worked well without having to keep spraying the areas I targeted. Second, toward the end I realized that at no point did I feel I was choking from inhaling this product. That’s great!!

When I went to remove the bag from the alternator, there was a spot that was missed (cuz the bag was covering it). To test the BFED, I *first* tried spraying an MF with the BFWW and using my finger to agitate the greasy area. This didn’t phase it. *THEN* I did the same, but this time with the BFED. This did the trick.

To summarize my thoughts on this, I liked it. It seems to have some good cleaning power without the terrible choking that comes with harsh chemicals.

2. Thanks The Guz, Bruno Soares, Diner thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: BLACKFIRE Engine Degreaser

Well written review. This cleaner does work great.

The engine looks great.

4. Thanks JustJesus thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice review and nice work. As it is I'm cleaning my engine... now I know what to order... BLACKFIRE Engine Degreaser.

Thank You
    Tom

6. Thanks JustJesus thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great write up and pictures and review! Very in depth done this write up and easy to read through.

A little tips. The plastic cover over the engine with the GDI written on it. Those pop off very easy and you get to clean it more thoroughly. The dirt build up under there is a lot both under the plastic cover and on the engine you reveal when takeing it off.

/Tony

8. Thanks JustJesus thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nicely done
    http://Www.gonzodetailing.com

Anything in life worth doing is worth over doing, moderation is for cowards.

10. Thanks JustJesus thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great review !!! I really like the BF Engine Degreaser. I find it cleans very well and doesn't have the caustic smell of many of the other APC's.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

12. Thanks JustJesus thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the great review, nice job with the photos too!

14. Thanks JustJesus thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If anyone has both the BF and WG Engine cleaner could you please test them side by side to see if there is any difference. The WG one claims to leave a conditioned surface behind. I did not read any similar claims on the BF one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DBAILEY View Post
    If anyone has both the BF and WG Engine cleaner could you please test them side by side to see if there is any difference. The WG one claims to leave a conditioned surface behind. I did not read any similar claims on the BF one.
    I wouldn't be surprised if both are filled from the same huge pail.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Well written review. This cleaner does work great.

The engine looks great.
    Thank you, Guz

Quote Originally Posted by Steelman View Post
    Nice review and nice work. As it is I'm cleaning my engine... now I know what to order... BLACKFIRE Engine Degreaser.

Thank You
    You're welcome. You will like it Even better at 25% off right now during the sale

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Great write up and pictures and review! Very in depth done this write up and easy to read through.

A little tips. The plastic cover over the engine with the GDI written on it. Those pop off very easy and you get to clean it more thoroughly. The dirt build up under there is a lot both under the plastic cover and on the engine you reveal when takeing it off.

/Tony

Thanks Tony! Glad you thought so.

Thanks for the tip. I considered removing the cover, as I have with my Yaris, but decided against it. I think *lazy* won that battle! hahaha. Next time, I will be sure to remove it.

Quote Originally Posted by atgonzales View Post
    Nicely done
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Pats300zx View Post
    Great review !!! I really like the BF Engine Degreaser. I find it cleans very well and doesn't have the caustic smell of many of the other APC's.
    Thanks Pats! I'm still smelling the car wash soap from the local coin-op I just came back from! nasty. I'm glad the BF Engine Degreaser doesn't have any of that nasty odor.

Quote Originally Posted by Meghan View Post
    Thank you for the great review, nice job with the photos too!
    Thank you for the kind words, Meghan. And for supplying the great product.