autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's
 

» Detailing Classes

New Dates Available for the Autogeek Roadshow!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Rochester MA
    Posts
    2,184
    Post Thanks / Like

    3D One new compound/polish quick review!

    So I was able to get a hold of a 32oz bottle of 3D new ONE compound and finishing polish. This product is supposed to deliver true correction then with a simple pad swap become a top notch finishing polish.


    I just had a black Dodge Challenger in the shop for a basic wash clay seal package and I thought this would be a great car to do a little test spot on being jet black paint and it having a fair share of swirls etc.


    Here's the bottle. I will say it has a very pleasant aroma. Not sure of the smell but very nice.




    Heres a spot completely stripped and ready to go. Pretty moderate amount of defects.




    Directions state to apply 4-5 drops on a cutting pad and begin polishing. For this test I used my Rupes Duetto with a BOSS microfiber cutting pad. After about 4 passes I wiped off the product and noticed a little bit of marring which was expected. I did a Precoat wipe and it removed a little bit of filling to expose what was left after the first step. The product wiped off fairly easily. A bit smeary but not as much as some Menzerna products but a bit more than hyper polish is how I felt. But it could have due to the 4 drops and the amount of product for that little spot.


    This is after compounding.




    Now I normally finish polish with a Rupes yellow pad or a Rupes white. The instructions say to use a finishing pad but I wanted to see what a yellow would do. As suspected it left a tiny bit of marring after wiping down with precoat. So I switched to a Rupes white finishing pad and it finished out perfectly!

    I have to say I kinda had my doubts but no muss no fuss it cut and finished out with ONE product. Obviously more testing is needed but so far it seems like a winner. And it's a good value!


    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

    Final Inspection Auto Detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection

  2. Thanks The Guz, Diner, dlc95, Aaryn NZ, Loach and 1 others thanked for this post
    Likes Rsurfer, PaulMys, dlc95, DaveT435, VISITOR and 6 others liked this post
  3. #2
    Senior Member PaulMys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    L.I. NY
    Posts
    3,512
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 3D One new compound/polish quick review!

    That's awesome. Can't wait to try One.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

  4. #3
    Senior Member dlc95's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Rochester Hills, Mi
    Posts
    4,857
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 3D One new compound/polish quick review!

    Very nice!

    Thank you!

  5. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,514
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 3D One new compound/polish quick review!

    How would it be if you just added a couple of dots of One on the Rupes White pad. And polishing 2-3 passes without any wipe off between the mf cutting pad and One. Just to be time efficient.

  6. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Rochester MA
    Posts
    2,184
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 3D One new compound/polish quick review!

    Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    How would it be if you just added a couple of dots of One on the Rupes White pad. And polishing 2-3 passes without any wipe off between the mf cutting pad and One. Just to be time efficient.
    That's something I am definitely going to try on another vehicle this coming week.
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

    Final Inspection Auto Detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection

  7. Likes SWETM liked this post
  8. #6
    Senior Member Dr Oldz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    NE PA
    Posts
    3,596
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 3D One new compound/polish quick review!

    Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    How would it be if you just added a couple of dots of One on the Rupes White pad. And polishing 2-3 passes without any wipe off between the mf cutting pad and One. Just to be time efficient.
    That’s not an idea I’m very fond of. While the polish may still technically work the same due to its abrasives not breaking down. The fact that there is abraided paint or clear coat now suspended in the buffing liquid would possible leave the finishing qualities less than desirable.
    Jim

  9. Likes PaulMys, dlc95, Rmd liked this post
  10. #7
    Senior Member PaulMys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    L.I. NY
    Posts
    3,512
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 3D One new compound/polish quick review!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    That’s not an idea I’m very fond of. While the polish may still technically work the same due to its abrasives not breaking down. The fact that there is abraided paint or clear coat now suspended in the buffing liquid would possible leave the finishing qualities less than desirable.
    From my reading/understanding of the product and its intended use/capabilities, I agree with you Doc.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

  11. #8
    Senior Member TTQ B4U's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    3,525
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 3D One new compound/polish quick review!

    Looks good. I have some but haven't tried it out yet. Waiting for a dark color vehicle to test it out on. Hoping it will cut/finish and work as a 1-Step. What you show appears to be something the Rupes UHS would handle well.

  12. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,514
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 3D One new compound/polish quick review!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    That’s not an idea I’m very fond of. While the polish may still technically work the same due to its abrasives not breaking down. The fact that there is abraided paint or clear coat now suspended in the buffing liquid would possible leave the finishing qualities less than desirable.
    Sure it's not perfect. But would not the cutting pad has picked up the most of the clearcoat residue?
    It's more like you would be doing 6-8 passes with it with one pad. And split it up in 3-4 passes with the cutting pad and 3-4 passes with a finishing pad. Not doing a full set of passes with each. I have seen some doing it even with 2 different polishers and pad setups. One with a longthrow polisher and the cutting pad. Put that aside and a 8mm free spinning DA with a polishing or a finishing pad. This is on paints that it would almost work as a one step with a cutting pad and a compound like HC400. One liquid but switch pads midway the polishing session. And this is with deminishing abrasives too. Not all paints this would work on but a medium to hard clearcoat it could be an option to do I think. And worth trying at least and see where it gets you. On this certain paint I would not doing it on since the yellow rupes pad did not finishing good. But on a paint it would finish with the yellow pad I would try it out. And this is more to the save time aspect than to DIY.

  13. #10
    Senior Member Dr Oldz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    NE PA
    Posts
    3,596
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 3D One new compound/polish quick review!

    Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Sure it's not perfect. But would not the cutting pad has picked up the most of the clearcoat residue?
    It's more like you would be doing 6-8 passes with it with one pad. And split it up in 3-4 passes with the cutting pad and 3-4 passes with a finishing pad. Not doing a full set of passes with each. I have seen some doing it even with 2 different polishers and pad setups. One with a longthrow polisher and the cutting pad. Put that aside and a 8mm free spinning DA with a polishing or a finishing pad. This is on paints that it would almost work as a one step with a cutting pad and a compound like HC400. One liquid but switch pads midway the polishing session. And this is with deminishing abrasives too. Not all paints this would work on but a medium to hard clearcoat it could be an option to do I think. And worth trying at least and see where it gets you. On this certain paint I would not doing it on since the yellow rupes pad did not finishing good. But on a paint it would finish with the yellow pad I would try it out. And this is more to the save time aspect than to DIY.
    I ALWAYS work as clean as possible. To me this would be working “dirty”.
    I get what you are saying but how much time are you really saving since you already have to set the first polisher down, grab the second polisher, apply product to the second polisher then start buffing again. Not sure if you have tried this product out but it is super easy to remove. Add time to clean pads of the fly between sections also.
    To me this is a risk vs rewards situation where the risk outweigh the rewards. I am sure SOME of the abraided paint will remain on the first pad like you said but definitely some will remain on the paint.

    When you really think about it, how much time are you saving??? Maybe 5 minutes on a whole vehicle. Not worth it IMO.
    Not trying to argue with you here buddy but just giving a realistic view and my thought process.
    Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Review - BF Compound and Polish
    By Audios S6 in forum Product Reviews
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-19-2017, 10:39 AM
  2. Review: 3D AAT Rubbing Compound and Finishing Polish
    By mjlinane in forum Product Reviews
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-30-2016, 07:45 AM
  3. Quick Review: McKee's 37 Fast compound/ Fast Polish with a rotary
    By Justin at Final Inspection in forum Product Reviews
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-01-2016, 07:48 AM
  4. Quick Review: Pinnacle Advanced Compound
    By Jaretr1 in forum Product Reviews
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-14-2015, 06:41 AM
  5. Quick Question:Am I supposed to Compound, Polish, and Wax the Glass?
    By TheAverageMan in forum Auto Detailing 101
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-19-2015, 01:36 PM

Members who have read this thread: 121

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

» December 2018

S M T W T F S
252627282930 1
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31 12345