autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

mini REVIEW - CarPro [spot repair] Flash Pad (with Flex 3401 & Menz FG400)

Just a mini review of my recent experience with CarPro's Flash pad. The one I used is a 5" version of the smaller Flah Spot Repair as seen here:
    CarPro Flash Spot Repair Pad - 3 1/2 inch

Based on the descriptions I've read, it sounds like they're the same pad, just different sizes.

The Guz was kind enough to send it my way, as it didn't fit any of his backing plates. With me having a variety of machines and backing plates, one was sure to work with it. Thanks The Guz !!

From Autogeek's store page on the CarPro Flash Spot Repair Pad:

CarPro Flash Spot Repair Pads were specifically designed to remove isolated deeper scratches on today’s scratch resistant cleat coat finishes. Engineered to work with a dual action (DA) polisher, CarPro Flash Spot Repair Pads do not create unsightly swirl marks or holograms. CarPro Flash Spot Repair Pads are constructed using super strong polyurethane foam that promises to outlast other foam pads.

CarPro Flash Spot Repair Pads remove defects in as little as 10 seconds! You’ll be amazed at how quickly stains caused by bird droppings, scratches, and swirl marks are removed using CarPro Flash Spot Repair Pads.
    My initial thoughts: Whoa. Another firm pad. Much like the Rupes UHS pads. With a bit of that memory foam feel. Also, it's quite coarse. I also thought Rupes Blue Coarse pad.

Before I put it to use, I read up as much as I could find, and watched some videos. Seems like people used Menzerna's FG400 with this pad. Okay, I'll try that too. I noticed some people said it has slightly better cut than an MF pad, and finished off better, too! Really?

So that made me think: why haven't I heard of this one before? Well, judging by the posts, it's a slightly older pad; in the sense that it was maybe made and used prior to my short detailing "career" - so it was before I got into this stuff.

Anyway....

The pad as it fits onto the Flex Mini Backing Plate (the 4.5" one)

The panel I'd be working with. 2008 Toyota Yaris OEM paint

Damp sanding with 2000 grit I wanted to see how well and how fast it cut. I had some minor scratches on the hood in the two sections here. I figured, might as well sand these down, then sand down the rest of the roughly 2x2 section of the hood

Zoomed in a little bit

Results after ONLY two section passes!

When I started, I used 4 pea sized drops after giving the pad 2 spritzes of ONR. It was a hot and humid day, and with the pad being coarse and stiff, I thought I'd help it out a little with the spritz of ONR. This was just to get things going a bit. Once the pad was on the panel, I turned on the machine to speed 1.5 or so, let it sit in the same spot for roughly 20-25 seconds. Then I did a quick pass to spread the product. Followed that up with speed 4 and an arm speed a bit faster than I normally use. Why? This pad is supposed to cut quick, after all Downward pressure was about my usual.

As I was finishing the first section pass, I was thrown off. I was starting to see through the compound. I didn't make anything of it until I realized...this was just sanded down with 2000 grit, and I'm seeing my reflection Huh. As much as I wanted to stop and wipe off right then and there, I said to myself there was no way it was already that much better. So I finished the pass, and then the second section pass. Stopped, wiped off. The pic above is what I saw.

THEN.... I saw some spots that I sort of missed. I was focusing on "testing" in that general area, not so much going for a full on paint correction, so forgive me for missing a spot or two.

At this time, I decided to do 4 passes. Five pea sized drops of FG400 (after scrubbing off the pad, of course). Another spritz of ONR, and on I went.

The results after the additional four section passes

Out in the sun...

For comparison, here's a section I did not do

and a parting shot...

Conclusion: It was a hot and humid day. Menz FG400 did fine, as did the pad. Minimal dusting that only really happened when I buffed onto an edge or raised body panel. I was really surprised at how fast this combo was able to correct. If I could really get 'er done in only two section passes (that's 2000 grit to start with!), then I can imagine how much time I'd save on the complete car. Nice. The finish? You saw the pics, you tell me. I'd be okay with that finish. I did want to follow up with CarPro Essence on a Gloss pad, then coat it. BUT. But, it was hot and humid, and no way was I about to start my first coating in such conditions. No thank you, come again.

All in all....good combo. Good pad. It was soft by the time I was done. The panel...oops, forgot to mention...the panel was quite warm when I was done with the four section passes. My temp gun lives no more, so I couldn't take readings.

Oh, so all in all....good stuff. Why this has slipped under my radar for so long, I don't know. Glad I found it. I may just pick up some more pads. I'm not sure yet. Good and all, but I have a ton of pads already, some I still haven't tested out....

Thanks for reading.

2. Thanks The Guz thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: mini REVIEW - CarPro [spot repair] Flash Pad (with Flex 3401 & Menz FG400)

I knew I sent this pad to the right person. For some reason it just a tad on the small size on the Rupes LHR15 MKII backing plate, Rupes Duetto backing plate and the LC 5" backing plate. The pad has a 4 7/8" hook and loop and the Rupes plate is a tad to big by like an 1/8" or so. It does fit that Flex plate nicely.

The cut and finish look great.

4. Likes fly07sti liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great write up and info! Thanks for posting! And good on the Guz for sending it out!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

6. Likes The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I always have a handful of Flash pads with me when I go mobile. Almost always a random scratch that needs some attention. Right on for Michael sending it to you!

8. Likes The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for taking the time to do this write up. However, you sanded thin OEM paint, then hit it with a very abrasive pad and compound. You may have taken off quite a bit of clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I knew I sent this pad to the right person. For some reason it just a tad on the small size on the Rupes LHR15 MKII backing plate, Rupes Duetto backing plate and the LC 5" backing plate. The pad has a 4 7/8" hook and loop and the Rupes plate is a tad to big by like an 1/8" or so. It does fit that Flex plate nicely.

The cut and finish look great.
    hehe yes you did. I checked it against my other backing plates (didn't send you pics) and the best fit (and comfortable with safety aspect) was on the Flex.

I thought so too, cut and finish are great.

Quote Originally Posted by Sizzle Chest View Post
    Great write up and info! Thanks for posting! And good on the Guz for sending it out!
    Thank you! You're welcome. And yes! Thanks to Guz for the chance to try something I never even heard of.

Quote Originally Posted by fly07sti View Post
    I always have a handful of Flash pads with me when I go mobile. Almost always a random scratch that needs some attention. Right on for Michael sending it to you!

Good idea! Maybe I should get some smaller ones for that

Quote Originally Posted by WRAPT C5Z06 View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to do this write up. However, you sanded thin OEM paint, then hit it with a very abrasive pad and compound. You may have taken off quite a bit of clear.
    You're welcome. Oh, I most definitely did. I'm not too concerned with the clear. The hood has spent most of its life in storage. It's possibly the best panel on the car. The Yaris has suffered from clear coat failure, much like 90% of the Yarii I see on the road.

I may go back and check the area with a PTG too see approximately how much was removed (in case others may be curious as well).