autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 303 Trim restorer and protectant, great stuff.

Researching this restorer product, there is one personal dislike.

This product appears to be only available in little tiny 4oz bottles, no larger.

Yeah, some might say a little goes a long way, like WETS, but still, usually there's commonly a benefit in pricing when one buys larger quantities.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    I definitely see your point and I'll let you know. The color on the trim is still good. It's not quite as hydrophobic as it was. Hopefully by doing it before it starts to fade it will be ok. The way this stuff stuck to glass that wasn't even prepped I assume it will hold on to the prior coat. I'm thinking maybe the key is to reinstall before the trim starts to fade again. Of course if you're dealing with a customer's vehicle they won't bring it back until it already looks bad.
    The thing about the coatings is they restore by contacting and reacting with the plastic. So if there is coating left, it can't get through to the plastic. Rob from GTechnic said that the problem is if you put too much coating on, it hazes up (like a high spot on a paint coating), and it's not that the C4 didn't last, but that the black trim went back to gray because the coating hazed (which could take many months). People have said that DLux does the same thing.

I'm not sure what to say, I did a super thin coat of DLux on a bumper a couple years ago and it seems to have gradually faded back to the way it was, maybe I should re-do it and see what happens. Anyway, the consensus seems to be with the coatings, you can't recoat when it's half faded, because if there is any still there, it doesn't restore like it did when it was bare...so all you do is lock in the half-faded condition.

Have you used the McKee's multiple times?? If so was it before the trim actually started looking bad? Judging by your comment I'm assuming it was.
    The McKee's is only supposed to last a couple of months IIRC, so it's more of a sealant like WETS.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    The thing about the coatings is they restore by contacting and reacting with the plastic. So if there is coating left, it can't get through to the plastic. Rob from GTechnic said that the problem is if you put too much coating on, it hazes up (like a high spot on a paint coating), and it's not that the C4 didn't last, but that the black trim went back to gray because the coating hazed (which could take many months). People have said that DLux does the same thing.

I'm not sure what to say, I did a super thin coat of DLux on a bumper a couple years ago and it seems to have gradually faded back to the way it was, maybe I should re-do it and see what happens. Anyway, the consensus seems to be with the coatings, you can't recoat when it's half faded, because if there is any still there, it doesn't restore like it did when it was bare...so all you do is lock in the half-faded condition.

The McKee's is only supposed to last a couple of months IIRC, so it's more of a sealant like WETS.
    Definitely great information. 303 isn't a coating more of a sealant but I could see where it might have the same type of issue. I'm also assuming it has UV protectants which may not be the case. Maybe I'll try to see if I'm able to remove it from part of the trim on my wife's truck. I'll be doing some more testing with this product.

Mark the 4 oz does go a long way. If you can do 10 cars with an average amount of plastic, which it would probably be more like 15 for 13.99 or 11.39 if you buy when it's 20% off that would be 1.11 a car. I can certainly live with that.
    I understand the buying in volume concept, I buy as many products in the gallon size as I can. But 4 oz of this product does go a long way. I put two heavy coats of EXO on a Ford Explorer from a 50 ml bottle which is less than or about 2 oz I believe.
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    Researching this restorer product, there is one personal dislike.

This product appears to be only available in little tiny 4oz bottles, no larger.

Yeah, some might say a little goes a long way, like WETS, but still, usually there's commonly a benefit in pricing when one buys larger quantities.
    Setec's post also brings up a possible issue you may have using this. You've used Dlux among other products on your trim already so there could definitely be some bonding issues.
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Post Thanks / Like

Cool thread, Dave. I'm glad to hear about the 303. Great company, and I still use their Aerospace on my interior.

I like products that seal, not "coat". I am still not in the camp of any coating. (Although the Guz always makes the most informative and intelligent arguments for them). He keeps them in the back of my mind.....
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

6. Likes minerigger liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Setec's post also brings up a possible issue you may have using this. You've used Dlux among other products on your trim already so there could definitely be some bonding issues.
    Here's a thread I started about it...I thought maybe somewhere in there would be a reference to Rob at GTechniq's comments, but no.

"Silvering" of C4

EDIT: Here's the thread where Rob talked about it: Gtechniq C4 issues.

And also in this thread that MarkD51 started: GTechniq C-4 Permanent Trim Restorer

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123