autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 303 Trim restorer and protectant, great stuff.

As with most trim restorers it's clearly in the instructions to be careful not to get on areas around the trim. If you do as long as you remove it fairly quickly you're fine. If not it will polish off but again that's the same as most of these type of products.

As far as consistency it's more like water. I know that any trim that looks good when it's wet this product brings it back to it's original color, or close to it. As I mentioned I will be testing it on a piece that is almost white and in this case water only brings it back to gray not black. There are a lot of trim restorers with no dye in them. One manufacturer who's product is perfectly clear specifies that the end result will make the trim look like it does when it's wet. I'm sure it won't work on a lot of the aftermarket trim where it fades all swirled, of course I've tried products with dye that wouldn't even cover that up.
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

2. Likes milesvdustin liked this post
    Dislikes milesvdustin disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    I’m having a hard time picturing how this would actually look so bad considering this product doesn’t contain any sort of black dye... I’m assuming it has the consistency of a creamy white or clear lotion that disappears into the plastic trim? What does it look like when it happens to get on paint for longer than it should
    If it does dry fairly clear on paint/glass and I guess if it was just left to dry it probably wouldn't look that bad, but doing what we do would you want it on paint or glass? lol I guess the average consumer wouldn't have a problem with it. In my case I tried to wipe it off when it was partially dried so it made it look white.

Post Thanks / Like

I wondered about it when it was released. Sounds like it worked for you. Thanks for the info. The Xterra has a mile of exterior plastics. I have found McKees trim restorer works for me. Knowing I can apply it once, because of all the trim it's time consuming, and it's done. Looks great for several months.

303 Trim restorer and protectant, great stuff.-0916170846-00-jpg303 Trim restorer and protectant, great stuff.-0916170845-00-jpg303 Trim restorer and protectant, great stuff.-0917170942-00-jpg303 Trim restorer and protectant, great stuff.-0916170845-01-jpg303 Trim restorer and protectant, great stuff.-0916170844-00-jpg

That is the key. Find something you like and use it often.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

5. Likes DaveT435 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pro 4x View Post
    I wondered about it when it was released. Sounds like it worked for you. Thanks for the info. The Xterra has a mile of exterior plastics. I have found McKees trim restorer works for me. Knowing I can apply it once, because of all the trim it's time consuming, and it's done. Looks great for several months.

303 Trim restorer and protectant, great stuff.-0916170846-00-jpg303 Trim restorer and protectant, great stuff.-0916170845-00-jpg303 Trim restorer and protectant, great stuff.-0917170942-00-jpg303 Trim restorer and protectant, great stuff.-0916170845-01-jpg303 Trim restorer and protectant, great stuff.-0916170844-00-jpg

My son had an Xterra so I know what you mean. I actually have the McKee's trim restorer, I use a lot of McKee's products. I like the consistency, it makes it a little easier to use. I did a test spot on this vehicle with it but the 303 seemed to darken a little better and I wasn't sure about durability of the McKee's. I'm sure it would have worked good with a couple coats. I haven't had a McKee's product let me down yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Will have to try it. I have a few plastic parts that I can darken, but never enough and nothing seems to last very long. (Have not tried Dlux). Will have to give this a try. A windshield cowl on a couple of cars is badly faded. Wonder if this would help there.

For now I mostly use Duragloss 271 or WETS. They tend to not last more than 2-3 months. The DG stuff is is inexpensive and easy to remove from paint - it's pretty easy to just slather it on regularly. Maybe this 303 product will replace those two.
    2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RippyD View Post
    Will have to try it. I have a few plastic parts that I can darken, but never enough and nothing seems to last very long. (Have not tried Dlux). Will have to give this a try. A windshield cowl on a couple of cars is badly faded. Wonder if this would help there.

For now I mostly use Duragloss 271 or WETS. They tend to not last more than 2-3 months. The DG stuff is is inexpensive and easy to remove from paint - it's pretty easy to just slather it on regularly. Maybe this 303 product will replace those two.
    I'm almost positive it will look at least as good as it does when it's wet, beyond that I have to do more testing. Durability I've seen to this point has been incredible. Let me know how it works out for you.

Post Thanks / Like

So Dave, you said it was about time to reapply on your vehicle--this is the problem I see with C4 & DLux...is a reapply doesn't always have the same effect as the original application. Let us know how it works out with this 303 product.

10. Likes DBAILEY liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree. I am getting turned off by the SiO2 Trim products as I see cars coming back 2 years down the road. You can't properly remove it except for time taking its toll. Plastic being porous there will still be DLUX or C4 in the plastic. Some of the Solutions Finish and then DLUX or C4 jobs that I have done look like a muddled mess now. Reapplying Solution Finish soaks in very unevenly now compared to the original application. The jobs that just had DLUX, C4 or Gyeon Trim definitely do not come out as nice as the original application when reapplying.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    So Dave, you said it was about time to reapply on your vehicle--this is the problem I see with C4 & DLux...is a reapply doesn't always have the same effect as the original application. Let us know how it works out with this 303 product.
    I definitely see your point and I'll let you know. The color on the trim is still good. It's not quite as hydrophobic as it was. Hopefully by doing it before it starts to fade it will be ok. The way this stuff stuck to glass that wasn't even prepped I assume it will hold on to the prior coat. I'm thinking maybe the key is to reinstall before the trim starts to fade again. Of course if you're dealing with a customer's vehicle they won't bring it back until it already looks bad.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pro 4x View Post

Have you used the McKee's multiple times?? If so was it before the trim actually started looking bad? Judging by your comment I'm assuming it was.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast