autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Review: McKees 37 SiO2 Soap and Spray on Filthy Black Car

My DD in non-ideal weather is my 2015 Honda Accord Hybrid. Owned it since new, got CQuartzUK shortly after purchase. Has gotten a steady diet of HydrO2 after most every wash.

Havent washed the car since around March. Cant believe I let it go so long but it’s life (and attending to the other cars). So it had pollen season, lots of rain, decent water spotting.

Washed today in mid-high 80’s and 60% humidity.

Since I hadn’t washed it in so long, and want to avoid marring at all costs, I first pre-soaked with Meguiars Hyper Wash, then rinsed it clean after a short dwell time. It was clear to see that there was no large dirt/grit on the car at that point. Just the thin surface film.

Then I proceeded to use my standard mar-free process. Four wash pads for the top 3/4 of the car, and a MF sponge for the very bottom 1/4. Made a bucket of McKees 37 SiO2 wash, at the correct ratio, and also mixed a dose for my hose foam gun to provide suds at the right ratio. The wash pads are put in the suds bucket, pulled only once, used only in one area, then set aside for cleaning afterwards.

I did the recommended/allowed process of letting the soap dry on the surface. Usually I foam a single panel/area, wash it with a sudsy pad, then rinse the car and repeat in another zone. I could see streaking on the paint from the dried product, but the instructions say it’s ok.

After washing and rinsing thoroughly, then it was time for the Hydro Blue SiO2 spray.

This stuff is great! I run 3-4:1 HydrO2 generally, from a Home Hepot HD sprayer. I’ll say that when I misted a panel with this stuff, water dispersed on the panel in a way that I’ve never seen with HydrO2. Then, I sprayed per the instructions, which acted much like what I typically observe with HydrO2.

So then it was time to dry. This was a bigger wow. Before drying the vehicle with a towel, I always blow it off with an electric leaf blower. This was easier and better than ever before!! Like so impressively so. To the point that I really could have stopped there without use of a towel.

Thats where a little disappointment started. The wash hadn’t gotten the car truly clean. The water spots I saw weren’t removed/reduced.

Additionally, there was soap smearing/residues that remained. Wiping with my towel got the residues off. It didn’t take much work, but I was very surprised to see the streaking/residues left behind.

Some pics, note I was generally trying to photograph the spotting and streaking, both with the beading and when dry:

Review: McKees 37 SiO2 Soap and Spray on Filthy Black Car-3be2ea4c-a153-440e-a454-3802723b9454-jpg
    Review: McKees 37 SiO2 Soap and Spray on Filthy Black Car-d617dd3b-80d3-42e8-b5af-62c8cbd676f8-jpgReview: McKees 37 SiO2 Soap and Spray on Filthy Black Car-df286e2e-1575-4532-baa9-2a7df6de32f4-jpgReview: McKees 37 SiO2 Soap and Spray on Filthy Black Car-9c5533db-dae4-4ce1-92fb-c87202c6eef0-jpgReview: McKees 37 SiO2 Soap and Spray on Filthy Black Car-497cba21-6c13-4846-b7a5-c60953d3479f-jpg

Best example of the residues left behind, they were hard to photograph:

Review: McKees 37 SiO2 Soap and Spray on Filthy Black Car-4f2504d0-725c-4990-b152-478798ef0412-jpg

Sorry, seems the forum sw turns all my photos...

So Im not sure if I’m thrilled with the SiO2 soap. Is it “safer”? Does it “repair” somehow? I’m not sure I buy the “let it dry” approach. I’m in NJ; it was warm and not that humid, I was in mostly shady conditions, and the soap dried and left behind residues.

I am thrilled with the Hydro Blue spray. It is a smoother, slicker feel, even with my questionable wash. Wiping with a towel made it feel like there was a substantial smoothness and slickness that I wasn’t expecting.

I think Ill wash again over the next few days with Hyper wash, then go over all the paint with essence plus with a no cut pad and go from there. Ive has good luck with the no-cut essence plus on a low or no cut pad (red or orange foam iirc), to fully correct water spotting on my multiple CQuartz UK coated vehicles.

So jury is still out on the soap and/or the letting it dry. But the Hydro Blue spray seems to be worth the cost premium over HydrO2.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Review: McKees 37 SiO2 Soap and Spray on Filthy Black Car-0a49694e-e8b7-4cf5-a0da-e844e680c99c-jpg  

2. Likes cullen2505 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: McKees 37 SiO2 Soap and Spray on Filthy Black Car

I have seen a bit of the residue from SiO2 wash, especially on glass, but none as bad as your picture of the back window. Maybe it was from allowing it to dry that made it worse? I rinse less often when using this wash but I don’t go long enough to let it dry (I rinse every 4-5 panels instead of 2-3). I now just do a quick wipe down with glass cleaner if I’m bothered by it.

I agree with your assessment of Hydro Blue. I’ve been using it on tires for a year but just used it on paint the first time a few weeks ago and had a legitimately fun time doing so.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you know what your TDS is for your water? I’m guessing very hard water and those are water spots and not soap residue.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post
    Do you know what your TDS is for your water? I’m guessing very hard water and those are water spots and not soap residue.

236 ppm per our 2017 water report.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice write up, pictures and review. Thank you for posting!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

Review: McKees 37 SiO2 Soap and Spray on Filthy Black Car-nwzdygml-jpg

Review: McKees 37 SiO2 Soap and Spray on Filthy Black Car-7upf61wl-jpg

Still looking great after time out in the sun and rain. Would expect it I guess...

Gloss and slickness are excellent even with a poor initial wash. Can’t wait to do essence plus and this over it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Review: McKees 37 SiO2 Soap and Spray on Filthy Black Car-75103dbc-abbf-4114-9ea3-da4f3d868c19-jpg  

8. Likes acuRAS82, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've got a 2010 Accord I bought used last winter,the paint is in poor shape but I have been working on it a little at a time
    I live in Farm country so keeping it clean is tough
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Review: McKees 37 SiO2 Soap and Spray on Filthy Black Car-img_20180322_182520-jpg  
    “I have trouble with names and faces, but I never forget a car.”

Post Thanks / Like

Doesn’t look bad from that photo!

Little by little is the best way if you dont have lots of time.