autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

McKee's 37 Headlight Coating

Hello,

Ive tried several different headlight protectant products. Meguiars, Mckees37, even CarPro Dlux (which is more of a coating). Never been truly satisfied with any of them. Dlux did last maybe a year or so before it started degrading. The protectants seemed useless to be honest, not providing much in protection against UV damage.

I was eager to give Mckees 37 Headlight coating a try.

As would be required, I polished all the oxidation off my headlights (I think I used a compound actually), and then cleaned the surface to rid it of any leftover oils.

The coating was as easy to apply as any of the sealants. Wipe on, spread out and then it dried and basically disappeared. I applied it to my headlights, and also to the glossy plastic trim on my doors.

These photos are about 2 months or so post application. Water is still beading nice off both the headlights and trim.

If this protection holds up, and keeps my headlights from oxidating for a while, I will be happy.

This product is very easy to use.

Downside is its on the expensive side. However, I imagine one bottle could do a lot of headlights and trim.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: McKee's 37 Headlight Coating

Keep us updated.

I haven’t used mine yet, trying to use up my Mckees protectant first (every few weeks for the rest of warm weather). I will apply the coating before winter. I’ll be curious as to whether you are still satisfied with this current coat at that time. I’ll reply to this thread if I can remember.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    Keep us updated.

I haven’t used mine yet, trying to use up my Mckees protectant first (every few weeks for the rest of warm weather). I will apply the coating before winter. I’ll be curious as to whether you are still satisfied with this current coat at that time. I’ll reply to this thread if I can remember.
    If there is one Mckees product I wasnt impressed with, it was the headlight protectant. It smelled good, but Im not sure it did much to actually protect my headlights.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m not a big fan either given the loose claims on how often to use and zero claims on the durability. I’ll just use it so often that it hopefully works, until the bottle is gone, for no other reason than to not waste it by trashing it.

Post Thanks / Like

I a big McKee's fan, but after using Opti-Lens I have no reason to buy anything else. Does great on all headlights...except Toyota. I don't know what the difference is but about a year is all it lasts on Toyotas.
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jaretr1 View Post
    I've tried several different headlight protectant products. Meguiars, Mckees37, even CarPro Dlux (which is more of a coating). Never been truly satisfied with any of them. Dlux did last maybe a year or so before it started degrading. The protectants seemed useless to be honest, not providing much in protection against UV damage.
    Funny, we had this discussion on the Optimum forum recently about Opti-Lens, that it lasts a year at best. The response was that pros use it and warranty the headlights and no complaints...which of course doesn't mean that it lasts longer than a year, maybe just that customers don't come back and complain if it doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaretr1 View Post
    I was eager to give Mckees 37 Headlight coating a try.
    Do you have any expectation that this is going to be better than Opti-Lens or DLux? My argument is simply that these coatings are so thin, relative to clearcoat or the factory-applied UV-cured coating, that they have no chance, particularly when the factory coatings only last about 5 years of 24/7 exposure.

7. Likes DBAILEY liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    I a big McKee's fan, but after using Opti-Lens I have no reason to buy anything else. Does great on all headlights...except Toyota. I don't know what the difference is but about a year is all it lasts on Toyotas.
    Ha...I didn't see this until after I posted...I have only used Opti-Lens on Asian cars and it never holds up (this is on lenses where the original factory coating has failed and been sanded off). So you have used it on multiple other makes and had it last indefinitely?

Post Thanks / Like

I am very pleased if a headlight coating lasts a year. I’ll take 6 months or inbetween, also. Re-coating headlights twice a year sounds very reasonable for having like-new looking headlights for the life of a daily driver.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Do you have any expectation that this is going to be better than Opti-Lens or DLux? My argument is simply that these coatings are so thin, relative to clearcoat or the factory-applied UV-cured coating, that they have no chance, particularly when the factory coatings only last about 5 years of 24/7 exposure.
    I have no expectations but it surely is 100% easier to apply than Dlux. I think I got a good year and a half out of dlux, but when it was done, it seemed to oxidize and fail really bad. But at 2 months, its still looking good.

Post Thanks / Like

I applied McKees last Sept or so (Headlight Kit to polish 1st) - it took a beating during the winter months....

So in winter climates 1 year is a no-go - but even now - the lights are still far better than with nothing - but clearly in need of refresh.

My new plan is once prior to winter and again in spring.

12. Likes acuRAS82 liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast