autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: McKee's 37 Headlight Coating

Update 6/28/19: after 7 months, some clouding is coming back on the Acura headlights. Note that the driver side headlight is original (2004) and passenger side was replaced circa 2009. Driver side always clouds much faster. I wouldn’t say it’s grossly cloudy now, but it’s noticeably cloudier than when I applied in late 2018.

The passenger side still looks good except the edges, where grime builds up that I don’t clean well enough and/or maybe I didn’t coat these areas as thoroughly. To be honest, it seems like water got in from behind the headlight on the edges, not sure if that’s an illusion, but will find out soon when I re-Polish and apply new coating.

Passenger side (2009 replace):
    McKee's 37 Headlight Coating-img_4124-jpg

Drivers side (2004 original):
    McKee's 37 Headlight Coating-img_4125-jpg
    McKee's 37 Headlight Coating-img_4126-jpg
    McKee's 37 Headlight Coating-img_4127-jpg

Based on my Acura results, I went ahead and used coating prep polish and recoated my wife’s headlights even though they look pristine (as they should, they are from 2016 and should still have UV protection). I’d rather be safe than sorry by Coating way sooner than needed with those newer headlights.

Post Thanks / Like

Bump!

I just wanted to share something inconclusive but having potential.

My Mckees Headlight Coating bottle turned jelly in late 2019 or early 2020. Then at some point in 2020 (March or April maybe?) I decided to put some 91% IPA in there to see if it could be saved. I shook it, added a couple more small amounts (I’m guessing 0.25-0.50 ounces of IPA total into the 4oz bottle) until the product seemed to be the right consistency of liquid as the original.

I still wasn’t brave enough or ready to apply it until a few nights ago. I polished the Acura headlights and gave it a shot. The headlight coating + IPA mix applied very similarly to how the headlight coating applied when new.

I wouldn’t expect it to be as durable with the IPA mixed in but I’m hoping the added solvent made it good again. I won’t know for some time but I’m going to try to remember not to apply anything else to these headlights and see how long it appears to last.

I’m really just sharing this because it’s a bummer when a $50 bottle of headlight coating goes bad while it’s 75% full (and that’s after applying multiple coats to about 12 different sets of headlights). Worth a shot for that price.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post

My Mckees Headlight Coating bottle turned jelly in late 2019 or early 2020.
    I’ve had my bottle of the headlight coating for a long time and it hasn’t turned to jelly.. I just recently used it for the 1st time in a while on that Toyota Camry that I posted pics about..

I also applied the coating to my own cars headlights that same day for the 1st time.

That Camry should be a good test subject for the coating since it lives outside and is always parked facing the sun all day. I now have a firm date to pin the results to and will try to update how it turns out.

The coating hasn’t jellied, but it’s become harder to wipe off. It’s very sticky upon removal. I keep a tight lid on the bottle and it’s always stored indoors.

4. Likes Thomkirby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    The coating hasn’t jellied, but it’s become harder to wipe off. It’s very sticky upon removal. I keep a tight lid on the bottle and it’s always stored indoors.
    Those headlights look nice, good work.

You are lucky, or I may not have closed the lid right enough after one of my numerous uses. But it did become sticky and hard to wipe off for the last few months before it jellied. I would basically apply to half the headlight and immediately begin wiping, and still have to use quite a bit of force to remove the final residue spots.

Either way, good to know you’re is still kicking. And we’ll see if my alcohol experiment has any benefits.

6. Likes Eldorado2k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Those headlights look nice, good work.

You are lucky, or I may not have closed the lid right enough after one of my numerous uses. But it did become sticky and hard to wipe off for the last few months before it jellied. I would basically apply to half the headlight and immediately begin wiping, and still have to use quite a bit of force to remove the final residue spots.

Either way, good to know you’re is still kicking. And we’ll see if my alcohol experiment has any benefits.
    I remember leaving it out overnight on a couple different occasions thinking that might’ve screwed it because it got down to 50 degrees or so.. But other than that it’s always been stored in my cabinet. I was pleasantly surprised when I recently shook it and heard liquid. Lol.

Wipe off is so sticky you almost wonder if you’re completely removing it and should apply it twice..

Isn’t it somewhat weird that OP says he applied it and just let it self level and dry on its own without wiping it off? I can’t imagine ever applying it that way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Wipe off is so sticky you almost wonder if you’re completely removing it and should apply it twice..

Isn’t it somewhat weird that OP says he applied it and just let it self level and dry on its own without wiping it off? I can’t imagine ever applying it that way.
    Yes, I worried the same during my vigorous wipe off and ended up applying twice to one headlight to see if it makes a difference, although wipe off was almost harder on the second coat I think, so either that’s a good sign or my arms were just tired while wiping the second coat completely away from wiping the first coat completely away, lol.

It’s like reminiscing back to highschool, thinking back so far that the headlight coating could be so easy to just dry/disappear on its own. Way too distant a memory to picture such a thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Bump!

I just wanted to share something inconclusive but having potential.

My Mckees Headlight Coating bottle turned jelly in late 2019 or early 2020. Then at some point in 2020 (March or April maybe?) I decided to put some 91% IPA in there to see if it could be saved. I shook it, added a couple more small amounts (I’m guessing 0.25-0.50 ounces of IPA total into the 4oz bottle) until the product seemed to be the right consistency of liquid as the original.

I still wasn’t brave enough or ready to apply it until a few nights ago. I polished the Acura headlights and gave it a shot. The headlight coating + IPA mix applied very similarly to how the headlight coating applied when new.

I wouldn’t expect it to be as durable with the IPA mixed in but I’m hoping the added solvent made it good again. I won’t know for some time but I’m going to try to remember not to apply anything else to these headlights and see how long it appears to last.

I’m really just sharing this because it’s a bummer when a $50 bottle of headlight coating goes bad while it’s 75% full (and that’s after applying multiple coats to about 12 different sets of headlights). Worth a shot for that price.
    I have two bottles that turned to jelly. I will give it a try and use it on some polycarbonate that I don't really care about. I never thought about IPA. It should be fine. I think it turns to jelly because it was too close to saturation at time of manufacture.

10. Likes acuRAS82 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Contact Nick. He is usually pretty good about replacing it. He came out with a new formula a few weeks ago

12. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Did Autogeek stop carrying this product? I can't seem to buy more.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by paulsiu View Post
    Did Autogeek stop carrying this product? I can't seem to buy more.
    The entire line is no longer sold through AG. You can search to find out more on their departure.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123