autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Speed Master Car Wash Brush (bad experience)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    And this is why I don't like all the plastic used on modern Bic cars. This type of plastic scratches very easy. It buffs out easy, but it's thin so you cannot buff on it too many times or you'll buff off the black outer shell and expose the underlying white colored plastic.

I'd contact customer care and cite this thread and I'm sure they'll take care of you.

Just a personal not of my experience with brushes. The key factor is the hardness or softness of the surface being washed. My wife's Mercedes-Benz has the Ceramiclear finish and I have used car wash brushes on it with no scratching. The old 1987 Chevy Silverado I use to own, (sold it a few months ago), it of course had a custom paint job and the paint on it was very soft. Washing it with a Boars Hair Brush easily scratched it up.

So surface hardness is as key factor.

So is this surface not a standard clear clear coat paint layering? I have similar plastic on my Focus RS and it behaves like clear coat (i.e. no swirls to speak of).

Post Thanks / Like

It may vary between manufacturers, but on my VW, and several other cars I've seen, it's a thin piece of plastic which is snaped on to the b-pillar or the door facings with cover the b-pillar.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DanHen View Post
    I wonder if a ceramic coating would have stopped the scratching? I've always wanted to try a brush on the cars to get around bending over but have been afraid of possible scratches.
    I just coated with CSL & EXO 5/12/18 including Bpillars. I did polish them out and coat with Mckees's 37 Paint coating
    2012 Dodge Challenger RT Classic Bright Silver
    2018 Ford F150 Xlt Sport 4X4 Magnetic Grey

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    And this is why I don't like all the plastic used on modern Bic cars. This type of plastic scratches very easy. It buffs out easy, but it's thin so you cannot buff on it too many times or you'll buff off the black outer shell and expose the underlying white colored plastic.

I'd contact customer care and cite this thread and I'm sure they'll take care of you.

Just a personal not of my experience with brushes. The key factor is the hardness or softness of the surface being washed. My wife's Mercedes-Benz has the Ceramiclear finish and I have used car wash brushes on it with no scratching. The old 1987 Chevy Silverado I use to own, (sold it a few months ago), it of course had a custom paint job and the paint on it was very soft. Washing it with a Boars Hair Brush easily scratched it up.

So surface hardness is as key factor.

Mike,

Thank you for the reply and for rotating my pics. However, they are switched now and the verbage does not match up. ;-)

Also customer service reached out to me and made this situation right. Talk about great customer service. They reach out to you! If I've said it once I've said it a hundred times! AutoGeek has the BEST customer service!!
    2012 Dodge Challenger RT Classic Bright Silver
    2018 Ford F150 Xlt Sport 4X4 Magnetic Grey

5. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if a ceramic coating would have stopped the scratching? I've always wanted to try a brush on the cars to get around bending over but have been afraid of possible scratches.
    Wouldn't have helped that much. Coatings are not scratch proof.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hoyt66 View Post
    I just coated with CSL & EXO 5/12/18 including Bpillars. I did polish them out and coat with Mckees's 37 Paint coating
    Have you consider to apply a ppf on the b-pillars? That I think would save them in the longrun. And if those is plastic a trim coating like carpro dlux could be an option too. The trim and rim coatings I think is a little more scratch resistant than the ordinary coatings. Just thinking out loud here. The ppf film which installers have been very good at to apply. And the quality of them has been better and better and the looks of them is great too. Those I would look into to apply on sensitive surfaces that you touch once and a while.

8. Thanks hoyt66, Route246 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure about a ceramic coating scratching with a brush but I am doing a new test with one of my favorite products. Sonax Speed protect. It has awesome scratch resistance. I already got rid of washing with the Two bucket method with great success. One bucket with no grit guard and still no scratches. I just ordered the Speed Synthetic Brush. I love the wheel brushes. I'm going to see if I can get back to washing with a brush. I just enjoy it better.

I will post results next week.

Sent from my XT1650 using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

I use various boars hair brushes on my black BMW & they do not scratch. I purchased all from AGO - from Montana & Wheel Woolies brand.

I have even used a boars hair wheel brush on paint after rinsing it 100% clean. It is not a towel or foam - it will rinse 100% clean if done thoroughly.

I think the problem OP had is 2 fold.

1. Very soft black paint known to easily mar.

2. Brush is synthetic - not boars hair.

11. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I try to only use brushes on the roofs of trucks,surburbans etc etc,,I had to get one with bristles on the end as well because my wash stall kids would misuse it when I wasn't looking.
    They did the back cab window on a brand new LTZ diesel Denali pickup and gouged the paint on the top of the box rail,,,I was PO'd...bigtime and grabbed the brush and threw it over the fence behind the dealership,,,lol
    “I have trouble with names and faces, but I never forget a car.”

Post Thanks / Like

Well I got my brush last weekend and used it on 2 different cars. I love it. I did let it soak for a bit before using. I did one normal wash and a rinseless wash with it. Both were great. No scratching on paint or B pillars. Disclaimer. I do use Sonax Speed Protect on both cars and the B pillars. It is the best scratch resistant product on the market that I have found. So I can say for certain if it was the brush or the Sonax. Either way I love another quality Speed Master product.

Sent from my XT1650 using Autogeekonline mobile app

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast