autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Tire Dressing Face Off #2 - PERL, Megs Tire Gel, Duragloss 253, Chemical Guys VRP

Here's another quick review and comparison on the following tire dressings:

Carpro PERL - PERL Coat Plastic & Rubber Protectant, vinyl and rubber dressing, interior protectant

Meguiars Endurance High Gloss Tire Gel - Meguiars Endurance High Gloss Tire Gel is a high gloss version of Meguiars Endurance Tire Protectant Gel.

Duragloss Tire & Rubber Mat Dressing #253 - Duragloss Tire & Rubber Mat Dressing (TMD) #253

Chemical Guys Extreme VRP Dressing - Chemical Guys Extreme VRP Dressing 16 oz

This is not an in-depth review, just some quick thoughts and observations.

The wheels and tires were cleaned after my last tire dressing comparison, click here if interested: Tire Dressing Face Off - Griots Black Satin, McKee's 37 Gloss Tire Gel, 303 Tire Balm

P&S Brake Buster Wheel Cleaner was used to clean the wheels.

McKee's 37 Tire & Rubber Rejuvenator was used to clean the tires of the previous dressings. Each tire was cleaned 2 or 3 times until white foam was visible. All of the previous dressings cleaned off easily.

Wheels & tires were dried and ready for the new dressings.

First up is Carpro PERL diluted 1:1 (1 part PERL & 1 part water) - this is one of my go-to dressings.

Nice satin look.

Next up is Megs Endurance Tire Gel - This is my first time trying this dressing. I'm not a big fan of solvent based dressings but this seems to be a popular dressing. I recently had to throw away a brand new tire brush trying to clean some other tires with a build up of a solvent based dressing. I couldn't get my brush clean, it was all caked up with a messy goop. Hopefully this will clean up fairly easy. I'm sure this will last the longest since it's solvent-based instead of water-based.

I was expecting a super high glossy look so I used it sparingly and I was actually pleasantly surprised, not too glossy...not bad!

Next up is Duragloss 253 - this is my first time using this dressing, I've heard nothing but good things about it.

Spreads out very nicely and evenly and appears to dry quickly and has a nice satin look...I was impressed.

And last but not least is Chemical Guys VRP - I like the thick creamy texture, just a tad on the glossy side (hard to tell from the picture) but has a nice look.

Well that's it for now folks.

We got a break in the weather today but we're expecting more rain in the next several days, that's why I thought it would be a good opportunity to put some different dressings to the test.

Stay tuned for more updates.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tire Dressing Face Off #2 - PERL, Megs Tire Gel, Duragloss 253, Chemical Guys VRP

Frank how do these stack up against Pinnacle Black Onyx Tire Gel? That's pretty much all I use... I'm certainly missing the old Blackfire AIO Tire & Trim... (PBMG, Hint hint hint hint....!)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tire Dressing Face Off #2 - PERL, Megs Tire Gel, Duragloss 253, Chemical Guys VRP

Quote Originally Posted by LSNAutoDetailing View Post
    Frank how do these stack up against Pinnacle Black Onyx Tire Gel? That's pretty much all I use... I'm certainly missing the old Blackfire AIO Tire & Trim... (PBMG, Hint hint hint hint....!)
    Paul, I’ve actually never used Pinnacle Black Onyx. I don’t have anything against it just never got around to trying it. A lot of people seem to like it.

Post Thanks / Like

You’re an animal Sir! I’m subscribed to this one as well.

5. Likes FrankS liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice! Looking forwardTire Dressing Face Off #2 - PERL, Megs Tire Gel, Duragloss 253, Chemical Guys VRP

7. Likes FrankS liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for putting these together! Great thread.

I'm a long time user of 253, but curiosity has me looking at alternative products. VRP and PERL were two of the top canidates I was considering, so this comparison is very helpful and timely.

When you mention the VRP was greasy, was that simply in the application or did it not dry very well and left the surface greasy? I could see that being a dust/grime problem if it doesn't totally dry. Might sling a bit too.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

9. Likes FrankS liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The PERL and DG tire have the best look in your photos. I hate Megs Endurance. I have like five 8oz bottles of that stuff sitting in my cabinet. Never understood the hype with that stuff.

11. Likes FrankS, eaglefan, VISITOR liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DBAILEY View Post
    The PERL and DG tire have the best look in your photos. I hate Megs Endurance. I have like five 8oz bottles of that stuff sitting in my cabinet. Never understood the hype with that stuff.
    I agree, PERL and DG have that satin look that I prefer.

We'll see how long they last over the next few days since we're expecting more rain.

13. Likes eaglefan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I never had much luck with Perl lasting very long. It looked very well after I put it on but soon faded away with the brown bloom left. 253 on the other hand seems to last a lot longer.

Dave

15. Likes FrankS liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The shine of PERL won't last more than a week, but I have always got a nice clean looking tire for a few weeks that beaded water quite well. Does the shine ever last with any product?

17. Likes FrankS liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast