autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Tire Dressing Face Off - Griots Black Satin, McKee's 37 Gloss Tire Gel, 303 Tire Balm

Here's a quick review on the following tire dressings:

Griots Garage Black Satin Tire Coating
    McKee's 37 Gloss Tire Gel
    303 Tire Balm & Protectant

This is not an in-depth review, just some quick thoughts and observations. Also, please excuse the quality of my iPhone camera pictures, I thought they would come out better than they did.

I'm looking for something that will give good results in one single application since I want to keep my detailing time to a minimum when working on client's cars.

All the tires were thoroughly cleaned and dried before applying the dressings.

First up is Griots Garage Black Satin Tire Coating - This is an aerosol spray. I like the look but I don't like the overspray that gets on the wheels and some of the body panels, even though I used it on an afternoon with little wind. There were some wet spots left on the tire after spraying and I had to wipe it down with a MF towel to even it out. I think this dressing would work good on big knobby tires.

Next up is McKee's 37 Tire Gloss Gel - This is one of my favorite tire dressings, seems to perform well on different tire manufacturers, usually just the right amount of gloss for my liking. I want to see how it compares with the others in terms of longevity. I also applied it with the new McKee's Dual Action Trim & Tire Applicator Sponges.

Next up is 303 Tire Balm & Protectant - I already used it before on these same tires and it didn't last very long, a day or two later I could hardly tell anything was applied. I want to give this dressing the benefit of the doubt and try it again. This dressing is on the liquidy side. I like the look when it first goes on. Perhaps on some tires you need a second application but I'm looking for a "Once and Done" type of dressing. It may be great for the enthusiast who has more time to spend on his car. This dressing was applied with the Speed Master Tire Dressing Applicator.

We've been getting a lot of rain lately here in south FL so I thought this would be a good time to test these dressings out.

I'll be giving some updates in the next few days.

2. Thanks Eldorado2k, Diner thanked for this post
    Likes fly07sti, Hammer77, Eldorado2k, GEM65, SWETM and 1 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tire Dressing Face Off - Griots Black Satin, McKee's 37 Gloss Tire Gel, 303 Tire Balm

I've been using this: Chemical Guys Natural Shine Pleasant Matte Shine Dressing 128 oz. with decent results. It works on interior surfaces pretty well, too.

4. Likes FrankS liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tire Dressing Face Off - Griots Black Satin, McKee's 37 Gloss Tire Gel, 303 Tire Balm

Subscribed. I am a big fan of the GG satin spray mainly because it does work great on my Nitto Trail Grapplers. I do also like the McKee’s a lot as well. I’m usually using PERL at 1:1 or McKee’s, just depends on how I’m feeling any given day.

6. Likes FrankS liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fly07sti View Post
    Subscribed. I am a big fan of the GG satin spray mainly because it does work great on my Nitto Trail Grapplers. I do also like the McKee’s a lot as well. I’m usually using PERL at 1:1 or McKee’s, just depends on how I’m feeling any given day.
    Yep, GG Black Satin would work good on your tires. Same here with PERL & McKee's, it depends on what I want to use on that day.

8. Dislikes grisby disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great post.Tire Dressing Face Off - Griots Black Satin, McKee's 37 Gloss Tire Gel, 303 Tire Balm I love comparos.

10. Likes FrankS liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You might like DG 253 Tire and Rubber Dressing. One application just makes them look like new tires. 2+ increases the shine. I havent found anything that lasts as long as 253. It's not greasy. It's dry. Doesn't sling. Dust doesn't adhere. A+ in my book. I'll probably never try anything else (and I've tried many) because I find 253 to be perfect for me.

if it doesn't get wet, it'll last weeks. If it does get wet... it'll last through a few rains.

12. Likes FrankS, davidc liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Tire Dressing Face Off - Griots Black Satin, McKee's 37 Gloss Tire Gel, 303 Tire Balm

Meguiars Endurance Gel is a pretty good 1 and done tire gel with better than decent lasting ability.

The only thing is it might be a bit on the high gloss side for people who prefer more of a matte black look.

14. Likes FrankS liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Excellent. Will be watching to see what holds up. I keep going back to Duragloss 253. Cheap and works well. I seem to get ~3 months out of it. Happy to switch is something does better and is economical.
    2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

16. Likes FrankS liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been playing with the 303 Tire Balm. I recently mixed some 303 Tire Balm and some undiluted PERL at about a 2:1 ratio. Still had a very nice sheen to it and seems to be lasting longer so far, but its been dry around here up until today. The tires were definitely beading water when I got to work this morning. I remember when PERL came out that it was revealed that PERL was using similar plasticizers as 303 spray was using, just more of it with the additional SiO2. So I wanted to see what the mix would do. On our minivan I have 1 tire that I used the 303 spray on first. Just a light coat that practically totally absorbed into the rubber. Then I applied the 303 Balm on top to see if will last longer with the 303 spray acting as a primer. I was assuming that the Tire Balm was using similar chemistry as the spray.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the GG Satin Tire spray too. Really do not like their glossy one. I've been using the satin one on knobby truck tires also.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast