autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Dr. ColorChip on Metallic Paint

I have a metallic dark grey car and here's the results of using Dr. ColorChip on many chips and scratches. These pictures are closeup so you notice the imperfect repair a lot more than in real life when you're looking at few square feet at once.

Dr. ColorChip has the color and metallic sheen perfect but as soon as you start to use the SealAct solution to remove the excess paint, it changes the color of the paint because it starts to expose more of the metallic bits.

This is shown here where inside the scratch, the ColorChip paint is still dark but the excess paint is much brighter as I start to remove it using the SealAct solution.

Dr. ColorChip on Metallic Paint-img_1981-001-jpg

In chip #1-2 below, I didn't use the SealAct solution and instead just applied paint with a tiny brush and let it dry and you can see how close of a match the paint is but without being able to level off the chip, it's still visible. I'm sure that Dr. ColorChip on a non-metallic/pearl paint would look so good!

As you can see, with metallic paint, it totally just depends on the chip - if it's deep and small enough that the SealAct solution doesn't touch the ColorChip paint inside the chip, it'll look pretty good but if the chip is too shallow or wide, the solution lightens up the ColorChip paint inside the chip and it looks better but still visible. I did a ton of chips on my hood (not pictured) and they usually were small but deep, just like chip #1-3, which are the perfect candidates and I never notice those repairs cause they look so good and I can't even find most of them when I'm intentionally looking for them.

I've done 20 tiny chips like 1-3, 7 chips of various sizes like you see here, the 3 scratches you see here, and several chips on the roof that had rusted so I had to make them at least 1/4 of an inch (6mm) to remove the rust and I still have 90% of the paint left from the "1 dozen chip" kit! It would last anyone the life of the car unless you were doing the "squirt and squeegee method" over a decently sized area. However, I have used about 30% of the SealAct solution. Another one of those will be $12.

Overall, I definitely would buy it again. I'm so glad I heard of it. It doesn't remove most chips but it improves all chips at least enough that I don't notice them, some enough that I can't find them and scratches are still noticeable but at least they're closer to the paint color than before.

One tip I have is to cut the included cloth into many pieces and wrap them around a card like this so you get a flat surface that is less likely to reach into the chip.

Dr. ColorChip on Metallic Paint-img_2003-jpg

Note: Some of these have the IPA/water solution I used to clean them chip or the SealAct solution residue still visible.

Dr. ColorChip on Metallic Paint-matches-jpg

Dr. ColorChip on Metallic Paint-matches1-jpg

Dr. ColorChip on Metallic Paint-matches2-jpg

2. Likes Bruno Soares, WRAPT C5Z06 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dr. ColorChip on Metallic Paint

Dr. Colorchip is top notch for its intended purpose.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Themikerobe View Post

Overall, I definitely would buy it again. I'm so glad I heard of it.

It doesn't remove most chips but it improves all chips at least enough that I don't notice them, some enough that I can't find them and scratches are still noticeable but at least they're closer to the paint color than before.

That's pretty much the goal of the Dr. Color Chip system, that is make chips in the paint a lot less noticeable to the human eye from about 5 feet away.

I've been answering questions about fixing rock chips and scratches in paint for years now and the thing I've learned is to first set a person's expectations. You have real-world expectations.

Too many people think and hope that by using the Dr. Color Chip system that if they put their nose on the hood of tier car they'll never be able to see where the rock chip used to be.... that's not real-world. For these people I tell them they will be happier to have their hood or car repainted. (Of course they never like that answer either).

So as long as a person has real-world expectations then the Dr. Color Chip repair system works great.

For anyone reading this into the future, here's my write-up on how to use the DR. Color Chip system...

How to use the Dr. ColorChip Paint Chip Repair Systems

I cover the topic of keeping expectations real-world in post #9

Mike Phillips

Dr. ColorChip has the color and metallic sheen perfect but as soon as you start to use the SealAct solution to remove the excess paint, it changes the color of the paint because it starts to expose more of the metallic bits.
    Interesting observation. Metallic paints bring with them unique challenges for repair, be it a tiny rock chip or a re-paint to a body panel.

One tip I have is to cut the included cloth into many pieces and wrap them around a card like this so you get a flat surface that is less likely to reach into the chip.

Thanks for the tip... I'll have to give this a try. What kind of car? Business card? Credit card?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

For anyone reading this into the future, here's my write-up on how to use the DR. Color Chip system...

How to use the Dr. ColorChip Paint Chip Repair Systems

I saw that you recommend waiting an hour before using the SealAct solution to allow the paint inside the cheap to harden. Ive always waited about 10 minutes so I'll have to try the hour and see what happens with my metallic paint. On some chips it seems like the chip only gets brushed a couple times but that's enough to make it brighten up. Waiting the hour might make it more resistant to that.

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

Thanks for the tip... I'll have to give this a try. What kind of car? Business card? Credit card?

It must be a MasterCard haha, just kidding! I use a credit card. An expired credit card just in case the SealAct discolors the card but I haven't experienced that so far.
    Using a card does require more passes to dissolve the excess paint since the card has so little surface area but on metallic paint at least, it's worth it to reduce the amount of paint you brighten up inside the chip.

Post Thanks / Like

I've gotten good results (pleasing results, not perfect) on flat color paints.
    I usually get fair at best results if I am working with metallic paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glfnaz View Post
    That’s disappointing to hear since I’ve been meaning to get this to touch up the wonderful amount of chips on my metallic red hood.

I imagine it would still look better than seeing the chips, at any rate. Some are pretty deep/jagged. They tend to snag my towels if I’m not mindful of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glfnaz View Post
    Good to hear from someone who's used it on both types of paint. I imagine it's very impressive on flat paints.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Finick View Post
    That’s disappointing to hear since I’ve been meaning to get this to touch up the wonderful amount of chips on my metallic red hood.

I imagine it would still look better than seeing the chips, at any rate. Some are pretty deep/jagged. They tend to snag my towels if I’m not mindful of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It will definitely look better. And one bottle is a lifetime supply in my experience so it's definitely a worthwhile purchase.

12. Likes Finick liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast