autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Review - Meguiars D166 Ultra Polishing Wax

Product:

Meguiar’s D166 Ultra Polishing Wax

First off thanks to Meghan for sending this out to me for review. She actually sent it to me last year a few weeks after D166 was released. Unfortunately since I have my personal vehicles polished and ceramic coated I had no test vehicle. I also don’t typically use AIO’s on any of my vehicles or my immediate families vehicles.

Fast forward a few months and my brother’s wife has decided to put her 2009 Corvette up for sale. My brother asked me what can we do to get his wife’s Corvette shined up and ready to sell. Decided to put D166 to use and see how it performs since they don’t plan to keep it around that long.

I am going to keep this short as there are already plenty of reviews regarding D166.

First thing I am going to link the review from Mike Phillips as it has good information into the product as well.

NEW - Meguiars D166 Ultra Polishing Wax at Autogeek.com

For those not familiar with D166, it is an All In One (AIO)/Cleaner Wax product. Meaning it cleans, polishes, and protects in one step. Like most Meguiar’s products, this contains the typical SMAT (Super Micro Abrasive Technology) abrasives. Meaning non-diminishing abrasives.

I will add this video as Markus Kleis goes into more detail on D166. He does mention that the protection from D166 ranges from 60-90 days around the 4:45 min mark.

Decided to test D166 with the Meguiar’s microfiber and foam pads to see how it performed as various test spots. One thing I will note is the Meguiar’s yellow foam polishing pad is not that great on a Rupes LHR15 MKII. It doesn’t spin that well. Would not recommend it for those that own a Rupes.

This corvette has vary hard paint. After these test spots, I let my brother decide which way to go as he examined the paint under the scangrip. He opted to go with the microfiber finishing pads and that is what we did. He has a good eye. He tackled one side and I did the other.

Here is the rear trunk lid which was in the sun and showed the defects on the paint.

Here is the after with the microfiber cutting pad. This area needed more work and the microfiber finish pad was not enough to make it look better. This was another test area to see how far I could push the products correction ability on hard paint. Very impressive with some RIDS still remaining.

We let the wax sit on the painted surface while were going after the initial test spot. I let it sit for 1 hour to get the maximum performance and protection and to see if there would be any issues with wipe off. The wax wiped off effortlessly after that amount of time. Even those areas that were exposed to the sun.

I took these before he left. The Meguiar's microfiber finishing pads left a nice glossy finish. The future owner will enjoy it once it is sold.

Final thoughts:

There is nothing really new here as there have been others who have already used the product. Overall I found it to be a good AIO.

Good correction to remove some deep defects.

Good finish with good gloss.

Easy wipe off even after sitting on the paint for 1 hour.

The scent is supposed to be sour apple. Some have complained about it but I didn’t mind it.

Some have noticed it had some sort of sweating occur while using it. I did not experience that.

Versatile correction based on the pad used.

I can not comment on durability as the car is up for sale.

Thanks for reading.

2. Thanks JustJesus, Diner, Maxreed241 thanked for this post
    Likes Maxreed241, mbkite, SWETM, JKDesign liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review - Meguiars D166 Ultra Polishing Wax

Thanks Guz. Nice touch with the various pads. Car looks great, too.

4. Thanks The Guz thanked for this post
    Likes The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The leaving it on an hour for maximum durability, is this something you were trying out or is it stated somewhere that I have missed? I wipe it off after each section is done so far.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RZJZA80 View Post
    The leaving it on an hour for maximum durability, is this something you were trying out or is it stated somewhere that I have missed? I wipe it off after each section is done so far.
    I could not find the actual post for this but it may have been in the facebook group where one of the Meg's guys posted that letting it sit longer on the paint adds a little longer longevity rather than wiping it off right away.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I could not find the actual post for this but it may have been in the facebook group where one of the Meg's guys posted that letting it sit longer on the paint adds a little longer longevity rather than wiping it off right away.
    Nice, I'll have to try that next time, I've been just using it like a polish and wiping it off right away.

8. Likes The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great review Guz !!!!
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

10. Thanks The Guz thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the great review Guz! I'd be curious to hear your thoughts after trying it on black paint or softer paint.

I find myself reaching for it first when doing a 1-step on light color paints. I only use it with MF cutting pad anymore. It cuts pretty darn well with microfiber.

Despite the crummy experiences I've had with it initially, I think i'll continue buying it simply because of the cut it provides on microfiber. It's a great option for one stepping hard paints.

I did a side by side on the hood of my truck with HD Speed and D166 and based purely on water behavior HD Speed lasts around 6 weeks and D166 last 3-4 weeks. I applied both with a yellow uro-tec polishing pad and waited 45 minutes before buffing them off my hood with a microfiber towel.

Also, All I used to clean the hood of my truck was D114 @ 128:1 (waterless wash ratio) about 3 times a week.

I honestly thought both HD Speed and D166 would make it to the 2 month mark. I was a little disappointed D166 didn't last a little longer.

12. Thanks The Guz thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mwoywod View Post
    Thanks for the great review Guz! I'd be curious to hear your thoughts after trying it on black paint or softer paint.

I find myself reaching for it first when doing a 1-step on light color paints. I only use it with MF cutting pad anymore. It cuts pretty darn well with microfiber.

Despite the crummy experiences I've had with it initially, I think i'll continue buying it simply because of the cut it provides on microfiber. It's a great option for one stepping hard paints.

I did a side by side on the hood of my truck with HD Speed and D166 and based purely on water behavior HD Speed lasts around 6 weeks and D166 last 3-4 weeks. I applied both with a yellow uro-tec polishing pad and waited 45 minutes before buffing them off my hood with a microfiber towel.

Also, All I used to clean the hood of my truck was D114 @ 128:1 (waterless wash ratio) about 3 times a week.

I honestly thought both HD Speed and D166 would make it to the 2 month mark. I was a little disappointed D166 didn't last a little longer.
    When do you find yourself reaching for BF One Step instead of D166?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

The GUUUUUUUZZZZZZZZZZ!!!! Awesome review! BTW, D166 is now my Go-to AIO. I have Menzerna AIO as my back up now. D166 is so much easier to use. Excellent review and Keep on Rocking!

PS: Beautiful Ride!

The Guzman Strikes again and knocked it out of the park!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    Thanks Guz. Nice touch with the various pads. Car looks great, too.
    Thanks. Other than the terrible body work from having the fender fixed after someone hit on the parking lot the car looks great. The orange peel on the hood takes away from the factory finish on the rest of the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Pats300zx View Post
    Great review Guz !!!!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mwoywod View Post

Thanks. If I find one I will try it out. I can't promise that since I don't do this as a side business. I suspect most AIO's fall into that similar longevity category.

16. Likes AKT liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast