autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

McKee's 37 mini-rant

Hey guys,

I purchased a bottle of McKee's Paint Coating and a bottle of Coating prep polish last year and was only able to try them today.

So, before doing the application, I watched a video on Youtube where Mike and some other guy explain how to use the coating and prep polish. First thing that jumped to my attention was that Mike mentions this coating can last up to a year with proper care...A year? When I purchased it last year it was stated in the product description that this a was a 2 year+ coating. So really not happy about this one. I have sealants that can last a year with proper maintenance, so this is not really a coating to me.

Second thing, when I started using the coating prep polish, IT STAINS PLASTICS! What the hell? I was forced to bust out a brush and super degreaser to clean the plastic parts afterwards. It seems to work ok on paint but if I need a completelly different paint prep product to do the plastic, why would I bother with this product?

So my first experience with those 2 products were less than satisfactory, will definatelly not buy them again.

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: McKee's 37 mini-rant

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    Hey guys,

I purchased a bottle of McKee's Paint Coating and a bottle of Coating prep polish last year and was only able to try them today.

So, before doing the application, I watched a video on Youtube where Mike and some other guy explain how to use the coating and prep polish. First thing that jumped to my attention was that Mike mentions this coating can last up to a year with proper care...A year? When I purchased it last year it was stated in the product description that this a was a 2 year+ coating. So really not happy about this one. I have sealants that can last a year with proper maintenance, so this is not really a coating to me.

Second thing, when I started using the coating prep polish, IT STAINS PLASTICS! What the hell? I was forced to bust out a brush and super degreaser to clean the plastic parts afterwards. It seems to work ok on paint but if I need a completelly different paint prep product to do the plastic, why would I bother with this product?

So my first experience with those 2 products were less than satisfactory, will definatelly not buy them again.
    The 1 year mention in the video is incorrect ("typo" if you will). Coating Prep Polish is designed for paint. Where does it say on the bottle or the website about using it on plastic?

Have you tried the products for their intended application yet??

3. Likes AKT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have used this Coating (DP lab ) and it is ok, but it's so easy to apply that I can't complain. Now the prep polish staining plastics? That's weird to me because I actually use it to revitalize smooth, non textured trim. I feel it works easier/better for trim than it does on the paint.
    Also a fellow member (Eldorado2k) has a thread on here with pictures of what it did to the fender trim on a Tacoma.

Post Thanks / Like

I only bought the prep for trim on Tacoma lol. Hope it works. Hope to get into coating soon but so much wax and sealer in stock

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fly07sti View Post
    I have used this Coating (DP lab ) and it is ok, but it's so easy to apply that I can't complain. Now the prep polish staining plastics? That's weird to me because I actually use it to revitalize smooth, non textured trim. I feel it works easier/better for trim than it does on the paint.
    Also a fellow member (Eldorado2k) has a thread on here with pictures of what it did to the fender trim on a Tacoma.
    I second this. I have cleaned lots of trim with it as well. In fact I created a thread when it was released noting how well it cleaned stained trim.
    Back to the full-time grind.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cleanmycorolla View Post
    I second this. I have cleaned lots of trim with it as well. In fact I created a thread when it was released noting how well it cleaned stained trim.
    It was from your thread that made me try it on he trim. Believe you said you got a lil on some trim and when you wiped it off, the trim looked good. I've been using it on Bpillars that have black vinyl, matte wheels, smooth trim. I usually top with PNS or BSD for added protection. Thanks again for sharing that thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fly07sti View Post
    Yup.

Not sure what it does on textured trim, but on smooth plastic & b pillars the stuff is sweet.

Post Thanks / Like

Like a cleaner wax, or a paint cleanser of any kind, it will stain rubber trim or textured plastic. I doubt Bob Mckee would put his name on any product that is not well made for its intended purpose.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    Hey guys,

Quote Originally Posted by Nick@McKees37 View Post
    The 1 year mention in the video is incorrect ("typo" if you will). Coating Prep Polish is designed for paint. Where does it say on the bottle or the website about using it on plastic?

Have you tried the products for their intended application yet??
    "Some Other Guy" speaks!!

I've used the McKee's 37 Paint coating and had great results with it. I just need to use a different applicator because I didn't like the Lake Country one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WillSports3 View Post
    Like a cleaner wax, or a paint cleanser of any kind, it will stain rubber trim or textured plastic. I doubt Bob Mckee would put his name on any product that is not well made for its intended purpose.
    HD Speed stains rubber & plastic trim?

No product line is immune to a dud... Don't have such blind faith now, cmon.

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast