autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Review: Gyeon CanCoat

What to say regarding can coat except “Where ya been all my life?” What an incredibly easy and effective product to use. The look and feel of the surface after application is very, very nice and the application takes about a whole 10 minutes, no runs, no streaks, no errors.

Water behavior, appearance and self-cleaning are on par with a ‘full fledged’ coating product and in the right situation, a product like this might even be a preferred solution for a vehicle/owner who is somewhat less OCD-ish or unwilling to invest the time and cost in a full correction/coating job for their vehicle. Maintained via wash with Gyeon Bathe+ on a somewhat regular basis, or post-wash with Gyeon WetCoat and I’ll bet the longevity exceeds the claimed 6 months. Add Gyeon Cure on occasion and it’ll likely stretch longer according to some accounts I’ve read.

I applied panel by panel by spritzing a Gyeon PolishWipe towel with 2-4 shots of CanCoat, going over panel in a somewhat regular motion of up/down then side-to-side to insure complete coverage then buffing the entire area with an Plush Microfiber towel. For me, it was easier than using a quick detailer as it wiped clean quite easily, leaving no streaks but rather a clean, shiny, slick surface with that desirable ‘coating look’ to it. Waited 24 hours and then tossed a 32oz cup of water at the hood which beaded nicely before gravity took over and they rolled off the panel. Leftover beads that gravity had ignored wiped cleanly off, leaving a great finish. Looking forward to some rain so I can pull it outside and watch it work.

I had CanCoat sitting unused on my shelf for the last 6 months, never really sure when/what to use it for. In this case I had a bright red Ford Ranger than I had prepped and applied Gyeon Mohs to back in February of 2017. Being a fleet vehicle it had been sitting outside 24/7 since then, had never been washed or received any attention outside of an occasional shower by Mother Nature. Although the truck was still staying cleaner than many other vehicles in our fleet that I had coated (with a variety of things) it’s had lost that ‘coating feel’ to it that Mohs & Cure brings to a surface. I probably could have brought it back with merely Cure but I wanted to finally give CanCoat a try.

With the mentality of ‘nothing ventured, nothing gained’ I foamed the truck with Gyeon Foam at 1:5 dilution, rinsed it, gave it and application of Sonax Fallout Cleaner, rinsed, clayed with Nanoskin Fine mitt during one last wash with Gyeon Bathe, dried, wiped down with Gyeon Prep and then snatched up the CanCoat. Having never used it before the initial panels I did with sort of a ‘coating mentality’ during application, slow and deliberate. By the end of the truck I realized the flexibility of application with the CanCoat allowed for a less concentrated approach to application, hence one of its benefits methinks. A few spritzes on application towel, back and forth, up and down, buff with second towel to insure full removal of any excess; I really don’t think it could get any easier.

Pondering what situations CanCoat would be ideal for (in addition to topping a Mohs or Prime application which I have heard adds some nice gloss and durability), I go back to when I was a bit less OCD-ish and less knowledgeable about our cars appearance and protection. Back in 2004 when we bought our new, black Corvette a certain ‘Z sealant’ was all the rage among Corvette owners. It provided a nice look with somewhat decent longevity but in the end, offered little protection from water spotting and other environmental contamination; despite numerous applications over the years, usually in Spring after claying and then once or twice the rest of the season, we were left with etched water spots in the paint. Additionally, the self-cleaning properties of the sealant were pretty much nonexistent. Had I used CanCoat instead (if it would have been available), perhaps 2 or 3 times a year, I’m pretty confident the protection and self-cleaning properties of it would have eliminated the etching of the paint. And I likely would have not needed to wash it as frequently, which would have reduced the buildup of wash-induced marring as well as being far easier and quicker to apply.

I could also see this as being an economical and effective product to use for those who do not wish to spend the time and money prepping and applying more ‘complete’ coating solution. Prep and perhaps a light polish once a year, a CanCoat application or two over that year and you’re getting the protection, self-cleaning and appearance properties of a coating without the more significant investment of time and money a more ‘semi-permanent’ coating would involve, especially for the casual DIY’er.

In fact, given the low cost of CanCoat, I can see it being a viable replacement for a sealant if you like or want the look, feel, protection and self-cleaning properties of a coating. It’s actually much easier to apply than most sealants (for me anyway) as well.

I’m really quite enamored with the ease of use and effectiveness of this product; it’s just so very handy to have around that I’ll likely keep a bottle on the shelf for quick use in the situations that warrant it. Will be interesting to see how it does going forward and it’s an easy way to ‘wow’ people with minimal effort and cost.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: Gyeon CanCoat

Thanks for the review. This is a product I've looked at a few different times but never pulled the trigger. If you give it your seal of approval it must be very good.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the review.

Based on how much you used for the truck, how far do you think a single car will go?

I keep hearing so many good things about CanCoat, but I have a hard time with the price being so much higher than Sonax PNS. I see them as competitors in the high quality, aerosol applied, wipe-on-wipe-off, category. Maybe I'm just too frugal...or as my wife says, "cheap".
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Thanks for the review.

Based on how much you used for the truck, how far do you think a single car will go?

I keep hearing so many good things about CanCoat, but I have a hard time with the price being so much higher than Sonax PNS. I see them as competitors in the high quality, aerosol applied, wipe-on-wipe-off, category. Maybe I'm just too frugal...or as my wife says, "cheap".
    First, BP1 thanks for the review and taking the time to post it.

DN, you beat me to it, I was thinking the same thing. The price of 340 ml of PNS before any sales is $29.99 / .1249 per ml. GC 200ml. $49.99 / .2499 per ml. that's twice as much per ml or 50% more. Is it twice as good as PNS?

That would make PNS cost $84.96 per can!!!
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the review.

I know both products are listed as providing protection lasting up to 6 months, but I thought CanCoat was supposed to be more substantial (closer to a coating as opposed to a spray sealant like PNS). But I would like to hear thoughts from those who have used both in terms of durability, self-cleaning abilities, etc. to see if CanCoat really outperforms PNS by a substantial margin.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boomdone View Post
    Thanks for the review. This is a product I've looked at a few different times but never pulled the trigger. If you give it your seal of approval it must be very good.
    Haha...thanks for the vote of confidence but it's strictly amateur hour over here. The main thing that stands out with the CanCoat is just how easy it is to use given the final results. If it has anywhere near the 6 month claim of longevity, it's a winner. In fact, 'less than full fledged coating' in some cases may be a positive aspect to the product. If your 'semi-permanent' coated car gets marred by a shopping cart, it's a much more involved process to polish off the coating/defect and re-coat, especially if you use a coating that darkens the paint. If you used CanCoat, and still have 1/2 a can left on the shelf and the same thing happens, you could fix that right up in about 15 minutes.

Thanks for the review.

I'd guess you could get 4-6 applications on something like a Chevy Cruze; I think it would go far enough that I bottle would get you thru a year/season applying 2 coats 2-3 times over the course of that time. It just has a 'feel' to it in application that makes it less 'serious' than a coating in application, with short term results equaling the self cleaning and appearance behavior of a coating. Neat stuff...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    First, BP1 thanks for the review and taking the time to post it.

DN, you beat me to it, I was thinking the same thing. The price of 340 ml of PNS before any sales is $29.99 / .1249 per ml. GC 200ml. $49.99 / .2499 per ml. that's twice as much per ml or 50% more. Is it twice as good as PNS?

That would make PNS cost $84.96 per can!!!
    If someone wants to send it to me for free to test I'll post a review otherwise I'm sticking with PNS for the overall value and ease of application and it does look great too.

PNS
    Review: Gyeon CanCoat-spns-jpg

PNS Beadtastic!
    Review: Gyeon CanCoat-pnsbeads1-jpg
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

I can attest to CanCoat and like Budget I would recommend it. It really is a nice product. One gets the benefits of a coating with this one but the ease of use with application. The self cleaning effect it nice which not only makes it easy to wash but also makes the paint stay cleaner. It has aggressive water behavior with crazy water beading and sheeting.

I have not used PNS but I can say that CanCoat can hang with some of the best. I would even venture to say that it's water behavior is close the Sonax CC36 coating I just reviewed which in my opinion has one of the best water behaviors for me personally for a coating.

A little goes a long way. I would actually say one can get 4-6 applications on an average sized vehicle. A little less if one chooses to go with 2 coats but 1 coat is more than enough.

Maintain it with Cure and it's really nice combo. For someone looking to get into coatings but is hesitant, then this would be a good starting point.

One thing i will reiterate is to flush out the sprayer. It hardens pretty fast and will clog up the sprayer.

Here is what CanCoat did to the applicator overnight after I tossed it on my workbench after I was done.

If someone wants to send it to me for free to test I'll post a review otherwise I'm sticking with PNS for the overall value and ease of application and it does look great too.
    It won't be from me lol. Give it a try. It's price point is not that bad during a sale and it's really no different than applying an aerosol sealant like PNS or Meguiar's Ult. Fast Finish. I got it when it was 25% off from another site with free shipping.

Post Thanks / Like

PNS
    Review: Gyeon CanCoat-spns-jpg

PNS Beadtastic!
    Review: Gyeon CanCoat-pnsbeads1-jpg
    How is PNS (or Can Coat, for those with long term experience) for water spots if you can't get them cleaned off right away?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oneheadlite View Post
    How is PNS (or Can Coat, for those with long term experience) for water spots if you can't get them cleaned off right away?
    I've never had any issues with them with PNS and the side of the Altima gets hit with my sprinklers all the time. No water spots that I've ever seen. I easily get 6 months out of PNS on white paint with minimal washes and little to no care as it's my daughters car.
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

11. Thanks oneheadlite thanked for this post
    Likes oneheadlite liked this post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast