autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review - Sonax CC36 Ceramic Coating

PNS every 6 months works great without a coating. Applying PNS every 6 months should last the lifetime of the car. Lol. Thanks for the follow up. Have you noticed any marring or lack thereof?

2. Likes DetailZeus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    PNS every 6 months works great without a coating. Applying PNS every 6 months should last the lifetime of the car. Lol. Thanks for the follow up. Have you noticed any marring or lack thereof?
    I have a little sample of PNS Loach sent me but I have not used it yet. Maybe I will use it on another area to see how it does in the short term.

Have not noticed any marring when I look at the paint under the sun. My job will be easier after a year and I move onto test another coating. This coating has been better than Gloss Coat, Cquartz TiO2/Classic and Pinnacle Black Label in terms of marring. Much more aggressive water behavior and self cleaning effect. Nowhere near Gyeon Syncro but CC36 is up there.

4. Likes Dan Tran liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bump... any updates Guz?
    ​Al Schmidt
    "Adventure, is a car called Riviera..."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerRivFan View Post
    Bump... any updates Guz?
    It will be 1 year the first week of July so I am just going to wait for it the 1 year and give my final thoughts. It's not so far away anyway. But it's doing pretty well.

The roof, hood and trunk have a little contamination so the beading is not as tight. It sheets pretty well. This is expected given the car sits outside 24/7. The sides are just fine. Debating on whether or not to try a decon wash as a test as Sonax really never gave me an answer if the coating will survive an iron remover.

Post Thanks / Like

Wait the year for the full decon wash.

maybe a light clay?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    maybe a light clay?
    I am thinking about this as well. I have the 22ple clay that was designed to be used with coatings.

Either way the coating will be polished off at the end of 1 year to try another coating.

Some of the claims from the 22ple clay.

◾Incredibly soft and malleable clay bar
    ◾Helps remove embedded contamination safely
    ◾Safe to use on bare paint and coatings
    ◾Very gentle and highly effective!

22ple Ultra Soft Glass Coat Clay will help you remove lightly embedded contamination from the paint with ease! This truly unique clay is specially formulated without abrasives, allowing it to not only work well on bare paint but to work on a glass coated surface without leaving micro scratches. The incredibly malleable bar is easily shaped and with some clay lube, it will glide across the surface readily. It works great with virtually all clay lubes, so keep using your favorite one. You will notice right away this bar has the rare balance of great cleaning power but very gentle on your paint so you don't introduce marring. 22ple recommends storing this bar in a cool area in between uses. If it is stored near heat, it will become a little tacky but you can easily fix it by placing it back in a cool area. The bar will regain its original feel and work great for you! This is a really remarkable type of clay that will impress anyone who loves car care. So take your paint to the next level with a deep cleaning from the 22ple Ultra Soft Glass Coat Clay!

9. Likes BudgetPlan1, JustJesus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well decided to spray the paint down with some ironx out of curiousity. As I mentioned there is a hint of contaminants on the surface. Which was expected given that car sits outside 24/7. Nothing to go crazy about. One other thing to keep in mind is that coatings are not contaminant proof. Marring resistance seems to be pretty good. Again nothing to go crazy about. The worst part is where some cat scratched the hood.

Good news is that the coating survived with ironx being used. So that is a positive for this coating. The other good news is that there was not a lot of the purple color changing effect. The paint felt smoother with little contaminants left. Beading and sheeting was restored to the flat surfaces. Not like day one but pretty close. The sides are holding up just fine. I will also note that I have cquartz on the front bumper when I applied Sonax. Cquartz is by far more hydrophobic at this point, which is 11 months.

11. Thanks JustJesus thanked for this post
    Likes osiapstndp, BadgerRivFan, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the update. Glad the coating held up well enough to the Iron X

Not sure if I didn't read properly (still early, still drinking my coffee), but did you end up using that 22ple clay as well?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    Thanks for the update. Glad the coating held up well enough to the Iron X

Not sure if I didn't read properly (still early, still drinking my coffee), but did you end up using that 22ple clay as well?
    I didn't get a chance to try it. Maybe this weekend.

14. Likes JustJesus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is going to be the last update on Sonax CC36. Curiosity got the best of me in giving the new McKee's 37 Coating Prep Auto Wash. Hearing it was coating safe from Nick is why I decided to give it a go and to give the coating a deep clean.

Used 3 ounces in the foam gun and 2 in the bucket and went with my normal wash routine. Low and behold as I rinsed off the soap there were signs of a degraded coated surface. Especially noticeable on the hood and trunk. The roof and sides looked about the same.

I was hoping to let this go for a full year but it will come up 3 weeks shy of 12 months. So 11 months and 1 week will have to do. One year is what Sonax claims and I will say it met that claim for my experience.

Things I noticed during the 6-9 month window was the sides holding up well while the flat surfaces were losing their beading properties while still retaining some decent sheeting properties. A decon wash with Ironx and Gtechniq Citrus Wash did revive some of the beading but not like it once was. I guess that is why Sonax recommends using Polymer Net Shield every 6 months to be the sacrificial layer over the coating.

I can not comment how it would handle the winter weather in harsh winter conditions. Would the chemicals degrade the sealant or cause it to fail? Hard to say. But the fact that it was degraded by McKee's Coating Prep Wash does not say much about the chemical resistance of the coating. Compared to the cquartz that is on the front bumper which at first showed signs of it being degraded but after a wash with Reset it appeared to be fine.

I forgot to mention that I did wash the car 2 times with Reset to see if McKee's left anything behind and there was no change. Seems like McKee's Coating Prep Wash is the real deal and would remove old waxes and sealants.

In the end I would like to thank Meghan for sending me this product for review. There is not a lot of talk about it on the forum and I hope this helps in documenting how it worked for me.

The question that some are going to ask is if I would buy this coating again? The answer would be a no. I am not saying it is a bad product but based on the performance of what I saw, there are better coatings available. I prefer my coating to be more hydrophobic and Sonax is lacking in that department as it ages. Not to mention the chemical resistance compared to the cquartz that is on the car as well.

I would recommend Sonax to someone who is looking to get into coatings. The short term performance is great. If someone chooses to use this coating I would definitely recommend to use at least Brilliant Shine Detailer as a maintenance topper. To this day the biggest con is the price for the amount in the kit. One could get a more durable coating for a similar price if not cheaper.

Finally if I will say that this is a middle of the ground coating that is just ok.

Here's a video of McKee's Coating Prep Wash and the last update to Sonax CC36.

2:45 is the initial rinse.

4:35 is the rinse of the soap

16. Thanks Diner, JustJesus thanked for this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast