autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: Microfiber Drying Towel Review - what would you like to see reviewed and how?

However you do it... it's important to have controls in place. It's not always easy coming up with perfect controls.

I've done comparative testing before and there's two general ways to do it...

1: Make it super complicated.

2: Keep it super simple

I'd opt for the super simple method otherwise you can go so deep that you can never get out, by this I mean never finish the testing and publishing your findings. Just find a way to keep it simple, wash and rinse one of our cars and then take one brand of towel and dry it off. Have someone there to take notes. Notes are you monitoring what you're seeing and experiencing.

Summarize and publish.

The thing about doing this testing on cars sealed with wax or sealant is the more you wash and dry the cars the more you'll micro-abrade off the wax or sealant. With a ceramic coated car, the ceramic coating is a lot less likely to wear off from careful washing and drying and thus a coated car would be a better "control" to test the performance of removing water versus a waxed or sealed car.

Just my thoughts after spending about 3 minutes thinking about how I would do comparative testing.

But for sure... keeping it simple will probably work better than making it complicated. At the end of the day, all we all want to do is get the water off our cars without scratching the paint and wasting time.

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Microfiber Drying Towel Review - what would you like to see reviewed and how?

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Certainly understandable... But I'd just like to state that the Griots PFM has an extra 7" of towel to drag behind if held horizontally, and and extra 10" if held vertically vs. the Big Blue as it stands... Just want to point that out before/just in case any PFM fanboys get their championship champagne celebration started. Microfiber Drying Towel Review - what would you like to see reviewed and how?lol.

My money's on Big Blue baby! Microfiber Drying Towel Review - what would you like to see reviewed and how?lol.
    I think you'll like how I break it out. I've got some plans that I not going to divulge until it's all complete. I can't give all my ideas away!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Have you thought about using glass as part of your testing? Drying a freshly rinsed windshield or side window would certainly mitigate the microabrasion of wax and sealant that Mike alluded to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    However you do it... it's important to have controls in place. It's not always easy coming up with perfect controls.

I've done comparative testing before and there's two general ways to do it...

1: Make it super complicated.

2: Keep it super simple

I'd opt for the super simple method otherwise you can go so deep that you can never get out, by this I mean never finish the testing and publishing your findings. Just find a way to keep it simple, wash and rinse one of our cars and then take one brand of towel and dry it off. Have someone there to take notes. Notes are you monitoring what you're seeing and experiencing.

Summarize and publish.

The thing about doing this testing on cars sealed with wax or sealant is the more you wash and dry the cars the more you'll micro-abrade off the wax or sealant. With a ceramic coated car, the ceramic coating is a lot less likely to wear off from careful washing and drying and thus a coated car would be a better "control" to test the performance of removing water versus a waxed or sealed car.

Just my thoughts after spending about 3 minutes thinking about how I would do comparative testing.

But for sure... keeping it simple will probably work better than making it complicated. At the end of the day, all we all want to do is get the water off our cars without scratching the paint and wasting time.

Good luck!

I completely agree, my tenancy is to make things complicated and be extremely thorough. I've done countless write ups on off roading forums for project builds, they took weeks write and publish after multiple month-long builds.

My goal for this one is to make it simple yet informative without vendor bias. Sorry Autogeek!

Hopefully; if there are towels that come out better than those sold on AG, they can soon be sold on AG for mutual benefit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Route246 View Post
    Have you thought about using glass as part of your testing? Drying a freshly rinsed windshield or side window would certainly mitigate the microabrasion of wax and sealant that Mike alluded to.

I have thought about it. But using a large towel on a windshield would only satisfy a small portion of the test as a smaller towel could dry the same size area without issue.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Certainly understandable... But I'd just like to state that the Griots PFM has an extra 7" of towel to drag behind if held horizontally, and and extra 10" if held vertically vs. the Big Blue as it stands... Just want to point that out before/just in case any PFM fanboys get their championship champagne celebration started. Microfiber Drying Towel Review - what would you like to see reviewed and how?lol.

My money's on Big Blue baby! Microfiber Drying Towel Review - what would you like to see reviewed and how?lol.
    That's easy money and I'd gladly take it. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fly07sti View Post
    That's easy money and I'd gladly take it. LOL
    Lol. Microfiber Drying Towel Review - what would you like to see reviewed and how?

Post Thanks / Like

I use the Platinum Pluffle Towels from TRC, and like them a lot. But I would like to see what others think about them as well, and what their reviews of them would be like.

Post Thanks / Like

Update:

I secured a few more towels and updated the list on the first post.

KL!N Drying Towel Duo - Large and medium
    I Hate Detailing - 001 Drying Towel

Still trying to get a large towel From Gyeon Quartz, a drying towel from Adams, and The Uber Super Drying Towel.

I will say; the response from vendors has been 99% positive, I've only had one or two say no. Pretty impressive!

Post Thanks / Like

That's pretty good. I mean they all try to say there's is the best. Sometimes companies need to put there money where there mouth is not everyone can or wants to afford a microfiber madness towel at 50 bucks

Maybe some are looking for bang for the buck

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast