autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Review & How-To: Clean And Protect Your Leather With McKee's 37 Leather Products

Review & How-To: Clean And Protect Your Leather With McKee's 37 Leather Products

For this review and how-to article, I'm going to be reviewing the following products:
    McKee's 37 Leather Shampoo 70/30
    McKee's 37 Leather Guard UV50

McKee's 37 has another leather product, the McKee’s 37 All In One Leather Lotion. I've reviewed that product before. If you're interested, my review is here:
    Review & How-To: Spruce Up Your Interior With McKee's 37 Interior Products

Price:

Leather Shampoo 70/30:
    $17.99 for 16oz
    $47.99 for 128oz

Leather Guard UV50:
    $19.99 for 8oz

Review:

Here are the description and directions of each product just in case you're interested:

The test subject for this review is a pre-owned Acura TL. The leather isn't bad but it's shiny and looks a little bit dirty. Here are some before pictures of the leather seats/interior:

In the pics above, I already wiped down the leather with soapy water to get the initial crud off.

Nick said for the best results, we need to agitate the McKee's 37 Leather Shampoo 70/30 with the Famous Detailing Brush:

To see if the product is working, I have to put a tape line down LOL!

First, spray the product on the leather surface you're working on

Product on the leather:

Then agitate the leather with your Famous Detailing Brush

You can see that I wasn't getting much suds unlike most of the people who have used this already. I was able to find a solution for this. You need to spray some leather shampoo directly on the bristles of the Famous Detailing Brush. After doing so, suds instantly came about. Sorry I didn't have a picture of me spraying the product on the brush. It was hard to take that by myself LOL!

After agitating the leather, wipe off the excess shampoo:

Here's a 50/50 shot. I know the difference is faint but if you look at the white line reflection in the perforated area, you can see the clean side has a dull reflection while the dirty side has a clear reflection. You can also see the bolster support towards the center of the car has a matte finish to it while the one towards the driver side of the car has a little shine. It's really hard to capture on camera but it's clear in person.

This is the only time we would like a dull reflection from lights! Hahahaha!

Close up shot of the dirty area:

Close up shot of the cleaned area:

I also wanted to do a 50/50 on the dirtiest part of the seat. It's where all the wear and tear happens. This is typically the area where your jeans scrape the leather as you get in and out of your car.

Spray the McKee's 37 Leather Shampoo 70/30 and agitate it with the Famous Detailing Brush

Wipe off the excess using a microfiber towel:

Here's a 50/50 shot of the same area. As you can see, the leather on the right side looks cleaner, brighter and less black lines. I know the difference is faint but it's there.

I'm sure I can get a better clean by using a stiffer bristle brush but I didn't want to damage the leather.

Now repeat the entire process on all the leather surfaces inside your car.

Spray the product on the leather surface you're working on

Agitate the shampoo using your brush:

Wipe off the excess shampoo. Here's the microfiber towel from just cleaning the vertical section of the driver seat:

The seat after:

This car also had a leather wrapped steering wheel. You know I'm going to clean that with this shampoo too:

I had already made an initial pass of soapy water prior to doing this. When I did that, the microfiber towel was so filthy. I didn't think I'd pull much dirt out from the McKee's 37 Leather Shampoo 70/30 but boy I was wrong. Here's the dirt I pulled from cleaning the steering wheel again:

After you're doing cleaning all the leather surfaces in your interior. It's time to use the McKee's 37 Leather Guard UV50.

Spray some leather guard in a clean foam applicator pad:

Spread the product around in circles:

Wait approximately a minute then wipe off the excess using a microfiber towel.

Just a note, the leather guard makes your leather surfaces shiny. So if you don't like shiny leather then this product may not be for you. I'm sure you can buff off the leather more to create a matte finish but you might be removing the leather guard you applied.

Here's the interior of the vehicle after using the McKee's 37 Leather Shampoo 70/30 and McKee's 37 Leather Guard UV50:

Thoughts and Observations:

Leather Shampoo 70/30:
    This is a great leather cleaner. It cleans the surface effectively and leaves behind a matte/natural finish. It has a very pleasant smell like new leather smell. I really like how this product creates suds as it's being agitated. Suds make me feel that it's cleaning better. I think that a brush with stiffer bristles than the famous detailing brush will even yield better cleaning ability. But please be careful not to damage or scratch the leather surface

Leather Guard UV50:
    I honestly didn't think this product would do anything but I was wrong. There was a shine being left behind by this product so you know there was something on your leather after using this product. Not only that but the leather felt a lot slicker when I was getting in and out of the driver seat. I'm comparing this to when it didn't have any leather guard. This product is very easy to apply and spread around. But it makes the leather surface shiny so if you don't like shiny leather then this product may not be for you.

Conclusion:

Both these McKee's 37 leather products are amazing. If you need something to clean and protect your leather, you need to consider these products. They work extremely well and as advertised.

Thanks for reading. Hope you enjoyed this review. Comments are appreciated.
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review & How-To: Clean And Protect Your Leather With McKee's 37 Leather Products

The shine left behind by the UV guard goes away in a couple of days. At first I wasn't happy that it made my then dull seats shiny but it all went away. Just like the fake smell of leather left by the Shampoo 70/30. Overall I'm happy with the results. I didn't see a miracle because I used it on leather seats that were just a few months old. But my intention is not to repair a filthy seat but to keep mine looking new for a long time. I'll continue to use the combo twice a year.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review & How-To: Clean And Protect Your Leather With McKee's 37 Leather Products

Nicely done, Marc
    http://Www.gonzodetailing.com

Anything in life worth doing is worth over doing, moderation is for cowards.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post
    The shine left behind by the UV guard goes away in a couple of days. At first I wasn't happy that it made my then dull seats shiny but it all went away. Just like the fake smell of leather left by the Shampoo 70/30. Overall I'm happy with the results. I didn't see a miracle because I used it on leather seats that were just a few months old. But my intention is not to repair a filthy seat but to keep mine looking new for a long time. I'll continue to use the combo twice a year.
    Thanks for sharing your experience.

Does the slickness you get from the Leather Guard also go away after a couple of days?

Quote Originally Posted by atgonzales View Post
    Nicely done, Marc
    Thanks so much atgonzales! I really appreciate the support.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marc08EX View Post
    Thanks for sharing your experience.

Does the slickness you get from the Leather Guard also go away after a couple of days?
    Yes. I have a feeling that if we rubbed it more we could get rid of the shine and slickness right after application. But it doesn't come off easily then. A couple days later and it's all gone. Probably on our clothing LOL
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

Which did you like more...leather shampoo 70/30 and the uv guard or the fast detailer and leather lotion? I'm wanting to try a few products on my seats as they are extremely neglected, we are talking like been under a seat cover for a year and dry and brittle and disgusting. Took 8 microfibers and megs apc to do the drivers seat.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by minerigger View Post
    Which did you like more...leather shampoo 70/30 and the uv guard or the fast detailer and leather lotion? I'm wanting to try a few products on my seats as they are extremely neglected, we are talking like been under a seat cover for a year and dry and brittle and disgusting. Took 8 microfibers and megs apc to do the drivers seat.
    I really liked the Leather AIO lotion because it's so easy to use, smells great and makes the leather feel so good. I hate hate hate working on Leather because it takes so much time.

In your case, you might need the leather shampoo and leather guard combo for maximum cleaning ability and protection. Heck, you might even need an APC type of product to clean your leather if it truly is that bad and leather shampoo won't touch it.

Post Thanks / Like

Well it's clean now just looking to future. I agree on cleaning leather or interior for that matter...it is a love hate relationship

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the review, Marc! You've been on fire lately!!

Agitate the shampoo using your brush:
    I know what you mean about seeing suds - they make me feel like I'm actually cleaning something too. Do you keep a separate famous brush for cleaning leather? Or just a single general purpose one for interior work and rinse it out afterward?

This car also had a leather wrapped steering wheel. You know I'm going to clean that with this shampoo too:

I had already made an initial pass of soapy water prior to doing this. When I did that, the microfiber towel was so filthy. I didn't think I'd pull much dirt out from the McKee's 37 Leather Shampoo 70/30 but boy I was wrong. Here's the dirt I pulled from cleaning the steering wheel again:

Yummy!

The only piece of advice I'd share with newbies reading this is: be careful when cleaning leather steering wheels. Once upon a time, I managed to clean the dye right out my aftermarket Wheel Skins leather steering wheel cover by being too aggressive with my cleaning method. A simple wipe with a leather cleaner like McKee's is all you need.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by minerigger View Post
    Well it's clean now just looking to future. I agree on cleaning leather or interior for that matter...it is a love hate relationship
    If it's clean now then you can't go wrong with the Leather AIO Lotion. Just use it like 3-4x a year and call it good. I think it should be enough if you maintain it like that. You can also use leather guard sometimes to help protect the leather better.

Quote Originally Posted by Angus View Post
    Thanks for the review, Marc! You've been on fire lately!!
    Thanks a lot Angus! I really appreciate your compliments man.

I know what you mean about seeing suds - they make me feel like I'm actually cleaning something too. Do you keep a separate famous brush for cleaning leather? Or just a single general purpose one for interior work and rinse it out afterward?
    I'm glad to hear I'm not alone on this LOL!! Like with car soap vs rinseless. I also feel that the suds in the shampoo are cleaning the paint better.

This is my first famous detailing brush. I had to buy it because Nick said it works best with the Leather Shampoo. I think I'll make it an "interior" surface brush. I'll use it only on vents, knobs or seats. I'll rinse it out when I'm done with the Leather Shampoo.

I have my old Swissvax wheel brush for the wheels or exterior stuff.

Yummy!

The only piece of advice I'd share with newbies reading this is: be careful when cleaning leather steering wheels. Once upon a time, I managed to clean the dye right out my aftermarket Wheel Skins leather steering wheel cover by being too aggressive with my cleaning method. A simple wipe with a leather cleaner like McKee's is all you need.
    Thanks for the advice! I'm sure it will benefit lots of other people. Man, I'm so glad nothing like that happened to this steering wheel.