autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Review: Race Ramps

Review: Race Ramps
    Race Ramps

Description: (Taken from AG's website)

Race Ramps is a manufacturer of premium automotive accessories. Race Ramps is based in Michigan痴 beautiful Upper Peninsula, in the city of Escanaba. Race Ramps goal is to provide unparalleled automotive products and second-to-none quality service to automotive enthusiasts all over the U.S. Every product Race Ramps manufactures is made in the USA with American-manufactured raw products. No other car ramps or vehicle ramp solutions can compare.

Race Ramps products have consistently won new products awards at every show attended. Race Ramps have been featured in many top rated publications such as Car and Driver, Road and Track, Motor Trend and various other automotive magazines, in their "Top New Products" sections.

No other car ramps compare to the Race Ramp products. Race Ramps are practically indestructible while also being extremely lightweight. Because of their unique construction, they will not slide across a garage floor, dig into an asphalt driveway, or scratch or otherwise damage a cement or painted floor. They can be used on grass, sand, or almost any other flat surface, and they will never rust. Most products come complete with straps for easy carrying and storage.

Price:
    $110.00 for Rally Ramps (RR-30)
    $219.99 for Car Service Ramps - 56 inch (RR-56)
    $247.00 for Car Service Ramps - 56 inch 2 piece (RR-56-2)
    $363.00 for Car Service Ramps - 67 inch 2 piece (RR-XT-2)
    etc

Introduction:

Are you an avid DIY'er who loves wrenching on your own car? If so, this product review is for you! Read on.

I honestly never thought I'd purchase Race Ramps. For as long as I can remember, I never really entertained the thought of buying their products because of their hefty price tag. I've been using my trusty Rhino Ramps whenever I'd perform maintenance on our family's vehicles. I've been doing so for 10+ years. I've had some issues with it but as long as you are aware of its limitations, you learn to be cautious with it.

Review:

I'm going to discuss the different aspects I like and dislike about the product.

Lightweight - easy to carry and maneuver around. Easy to position in front of the tires to center it before driving up.

Non-skid surface - the exterior has a special coating that prevents it from skidding. This is a big safety feature for me because you know the ramp will stay in place while you're driving up on it. I felt extremely confident driving up on these ramps going forward or in reverse. The ramps didn't move at all. When I first got my rhino ramps, my uncle had an accident with it. As he was going up on the ramp, he stopped halfway through the incline. As he started rolling back, he gave the car some gas and it kicked the ramps all the way to the back tire and made the front tires drop to the ground. This was extremely scary and unsafe. What if the driver forgets to hit the brake pedal because of panic? Sometimes, the ramps also scoots forward as you reach the stoppers at the top of the ramps. Both these issues are prevented by the non-slip surface coating of Race Ramps.

Here's a video I found on YouTube that shows exactly what happened to my uncle before. Please start at time stamp 0:46

Solid construction - the race ramps are solid. You don't see these ramps flexing as the car drives up on it. As opposed to rhino ramps, which are hollow inside. Sometimes, you see the support structure of the rhino ramps bend a little. Makes me feel uneasy sometimes.

Here a picture showing the construction of my Race Ramps:

Here are some pictures showing how Rhino Ramps are constructed and how it compares to Race Ramps:

Integrated strap - this is a cool feature because it makes it more convenient to carry the ramps around. Also, it gives you the ability to mount these ramps on the wall.

Removable piece - you can remove half of the ramp to allow easier access through the side of the vehicle. This feature is only availabe in the 2 piece models.

Dimensions - the length, width, height and incline of the ramp depends on which model you get. The model number specifies the length of the ramps.

I recently purchased the 67" Ramps. It provides a 10" lift at the top and it is 14" wide. It has a 10.5 degree angle, which allows lowered cars to have more clearance driving up the ramps. This low approach angle is a big improvement over the old rhino ramps which has a 17 degree approach angle. If your car is lowered and can't use rhino ramps because your bumper doesn't clear it, then you need to consider this product. I think this is the main feature buyers of these ramps are looking for. The 67" ramps is available in 1 or 2 pieces. AG only sells the 2 piece for the 67" Ramps.

The next product they have is the 56" Ramps. It provides an 8" lift at the top and it is 12" wide. It has the same approach angle (10.5 degrees) as the 67" Ramps. So bumper clearance between this and the 67" ramps are the same. The main difference between this and the 67" ramps is the lift height. The 56" ramps are significantly cheaper than the 67" ramps so if you're on a budget, you need to consider these ramps. Again, It comes in 1 or 2 pieces and AG sells both of them.

The next product they have is the 30" Ramps. It provides a 5" lift at the top and it is 10" wide. It has a 16 degree approach angle. This is the cheapest car service ramp they offer at $90 but I honestly don't think the lift height is enough.

Race ramps also has a 40" Ramp, but AG doesn't sell these specifically. But I have these ramps so I'm going to discuss them. It provides a 7" lift at the top and it is 10" wide. It has a 16.7 degree approach angle. This specific ramp will not give you additional approach angle clearance compared to rhino ramps.

There are a lot more choices for these ramps and you can pick one that suits your needs. But I'd highly recommend getting either the 56" or the 67" ramps. They have the low approach angle and provides good lift height at the top. AG sells both of these ramps.

Here are pictures comparing the Race Ramps 67", Race Ramps 40" and rhino ramps at different angles.

Here's a good picture showing how wide the Race Ramps 67" are compared to the other 2.

Here's a side profile picture comparing the lift differences between the ramps. The farthest most is the Race Ramps 67" which provides a 10" lift. The middle one is the Race Ramps 40" which provides a 7" lift. The closest one is Rhino Ramps and I think it proves a 6-6.5" lift.

The following pictures are showing the approach angle of each ramp and how it looks relative to the car's bumper.

The Race Ramps 67" has a 10.5 degree approach angle:

As you can see, it's not hitting the plastic piece underneath my bumper:

The Race Ramps 40" has a 16.7 degree approach angle:

As you can see, it's hitting the plastic piece underneath my bumper:

The Rhino Ramps has a 17 degree approach angle or so (please don't quote me on this)

As you can see, it's also hitting the plastic piece underneath my bumper:

Yeah I know I know hitting this plastic piece is not a big deal. My bumper sits relatively high so I'm fortunate in this aspect. But lowered vehicles or vehicles that have low front bumper clearance from factory like the Corvettes need a low angle approach angle. The 16.7 degree approach angle from the Race Ramps 40" or Rhino Ramps will hit Corvette's bumpers.

In action pictures: Check out all that ground clearance!!!

You can use these ramps to install an exhaust system or polish it (for us detail geeks):

Here's a picture showing how a 255 tire sits on top of the Race Ramps 67".

Here are some action shots on the Race Ramps 40" on an Acura TL:

Price - here's the main reason people shy away from these and it is its biggest downfall. I totally understand. I myself didn't even consider these for a long time. More so when you think that the rhino ramps Essentially accomplishes the same thing. But if you have a sports car with very low ground clearance then you need an alternative to rhino ramps. Also, the benefits I outlined above make them worth it to me. I didn't realize it until I started using these ramps and I couldn't be happier with my purchase. For me, the price is totally worth it.

I mainly bought these ramps because of the lift height it provides. I recently purchased a catless downpipe for my car and I heard it's a PITA to install. Majority of the people are saying that the higher the car, the easier the job will be. Having a lift would be the best. When I changed the oil on my car before, I barely had any room underneath the car when I put it up on rhino ramps. I really feel uncomfortable putting my car on jackstands. As much as possible, I don't like working underneath the car that's only supported by jackstands. Also, my car has these stupid jackpads which makes me so uneasy when it sits on top of a jackstand. Im afraid it will slip or crack lol! Shops were charging an arm and a leg for the DP install so I told myself I'll just buy these instead of giving the shops that money.

And the way I look at it, these ramps will last a lifetime. I'll be using it in my future cars and if I decide to get a Vette one day, then I'm already covered. Also, these ramps have good resale value so when you consider that, the cost isn't as high anymore.

Storage - these ramps do take a lot of space because of its length and height. A good option is to wall mount these and get them out of the way.

Disappointment:

I do want to share one disappointment I have. My 67" race ramps came with a few minor dents. I contacted AG regarding this and they were so helpful the entire time. These Race Ramps are drop shipped directly from Brute Industries so there's only so much AG can do and I totally understand that. Anyway, Race Ramps just blamed the dents from shipping and said that it won't affect functionality anyway. I totally understand that it won't affect functionality but being an OCD detailer, I think you guys can understand my frustration. I paid a hefty price for these ramps and I just expect them to be perfect. If anybody is going to dent them, I want them to be me. Not from the factory or shipping. And to be honest, the box didn't look like it was mishandled so IMO, the dents were from the packing process done in the Race Ramps factory. Anyway, Race Ramps didn't even apologize or try to help out in any way. They just shrugged it off and blamed it on shipping. There's a guy on the Camaro forums that received dented race ramps and Amazon shipped him ramps 3 times until he was satisfied. So if you're anal about how perfect the ramps will look upon arrival, you should consider getting these from Amazon (sorry Autogeek - I mean no disrespect) because Amazon stocks them and has the ability to ship replacements. Like I said earlier, this is not Autogeek's fault because they don't stock them. I also had an inquiry/request I e-mailed Race Ramps about twice and I didn't hear anything back from them at all. I knew my request that time was a long shot and I wasn't expecting them to do anything but a simple response saying no would have been fine. Don't ignore your customers. IMO, Race Ramps has pretty poor customer service.

I guess I'm just spoiled by how AWESOME the customer service we get from Autogeek. So all you guys buying from Autogeek, please be grateful for what they do for us. They have the best customer service in the business.

Conclusion:

You can't put a price on safety and peace of mind while working underneath your car. Nothing beats that warm and fuzzy feeling you get knowing that the car above you is solid and stable. these race ramps give me that feeling compared to using rhino ramps. Even more so with jackstands. The low grade angle allows vehicles with low ground clearance to get up on ramps with ease. The non-skid surface gives me confidence that the ramps won't move while driving up on them.

Yes these ramps are expensive as heck but with the benefits I've outlined above, I think they're totally worth it. These ramps are solid and looks like it will last a lifetime. They are proudly made in the USA and I'm proud to support companies that make their products here.

I give Race Ramps a big thumbs up! You need to consider purchasing them if you enjoy working on your own car.
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: Race Ramps

Thanks for the very detailed and educational review.
    2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice review, Marc.

Post Thanks / Like

Marc, even a non-detailing product, still an awesome review, nicely done
    http://Www.gonzodetailing.com

Anything in life worth doing is worth over doing, moderation is for cowards.

Post Thanks / Like

Great review Marc!

Race Ramps, car service ramps

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review Marc. Glad to hear they work well but disappointing to hear there crappy customer service. That alone would make me look elsewhere to spend my money.

Post Thanks / Like

I have these and the huge advantage for me is the lightweight construction. Compared to the steel ramps I used before these are feather-light.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Marc,

Thanks for this presentation---one
    that raises your product reviews to:
    "A whole nother level"!

Quote Originally Posted by Marc08EX View Post
    lowered vehicles or vehicles that
    have low front bumper clearance
    from factory like the Corvettes
    need a low angle approach angle.

And the way I look at it, these ramps
    will last a lifetime. I'll be using it in my
    future cars and if I decide to get a Vette
    one day, then I'm already covered.
    Been using mine for over 10 years now.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely too rich for my blood...have been rolling the dice with Rhino Ramps since 2004. May very well be that my last words will be "Shoulda got the Race Ramps..."

Post Thanks / Like

Great review Marc !!!
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast