autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Review: McKee’s 37 Glass Coating

Review: McKee’s 37 Glass Coating
    McKee's 37 Glass Coating

Description:

Creates an impenetrable barrier that repels water, dirt and oil

McKee's 37 Glass Coating is a super-hydrophobic nano-glass ceramic coating that creates an extremely hard, crystal-clear barrier of protection on exterior glass surfaces. Treated glass surfaces will be impenetrable to environmental contaminants while exhibiting super hydrophobic properties; water will bead up and roll off while snow and ice will be effortless to remove. A single application lasts up to one year!

Nobody likes cleaning glass and neither do we, which is why we’ve come out with McKee's 37 Glass Coating – a super hydrophobic coating that repels airborne contaminants, water, rain, dirt and oil, keeping your windshield cleaner in between regular washes.

If you’re as particular about your glass as we are (Bob especially!) then McKee's 37 Glass Coating is for you. This super hydrophobic coating was developed and tested in South Florida, one of the most rainfall ridden parts of the country. Trust us when we say that McKee's 37 Glass Coating is one of the best investments you can make in car care!

McKee's 37 Glass Coating goes on crystal clear and stays that way – no excessive rubbing or buffing required. Application is as simple as spraying the coating directly onto the surface and evenly distributing it with a foam applicator. That’s it! The coating self-levels so there is no heavy rubbing or buffing required. A single application of McKee's 37 Glass Coating will last up to one year!

McKee's 37 Glass Coating is comprised of nano-glass ceramic particles that fill in the microscopic pits, pores and craters on your vehicle’s glass, making the surface perfectly smooth. This prevents dirt, water, oil, snow, sleet and rain from adhering to the glass, keeping it clean while optimizing visibility. McKee's 37 Glass Coating creates such an immense amount of surface tension that water will bead up and roll off at speeds above 30 mph, rendering your windshield wipers virtually unnecessary!

Price:

$35.00 for 4oz

Review:

I wasn't really planning to review this product but I had my windshield replaced on my 2 vehicles so I said this will be a perfect test subject to do this review. The glass is clean and free from any rash/pitting.

For the first vehicle, I'm going to compare the glass coating to a typical drying aid I use. For the other vehicle, I'm going to compare the glass coating to bare glass.

Both coating applications were done after the vehicle was washed using Meguiar's Car Wash Plus+. I wouldn't bore you guys with washing pictures so I'm going to go straight into the application pictures.

Before applying the glass coating, I wanted to make sure that the glass is squeaky clean and free from anything that the wash may have left behind. For this purpose, I elected to use CarPro Eraser.

Spray Carpro Eraser on the windshield:

Wipe the windshield. Ensure no streaks are left behind.

For this first vehicle, I elected to compare this class coating to a drying aid and see how the beading compares. Here's a picture of the tape line:

Whenever I dry the vehicle, I always use a spray LSP or a QD as my last pass. I like doing this for multiple reasons:
    1. It's so easy to do
    2. Leaves protection and makes paint slick and shiny
    3. Wipes off any streaks/water droplets left behind

After applying my spray LSP or QD to the entire vehicle, I use the damp MF towel with the spray LSP or QD left in it to wipe all the windows as well. This makes my windows bead water and leaves it slick.

In this specific case, I used Finish Kare 425 Extra Slick Final Body Shine on the other side of the windshield.

Enough sidetrack lol! Now let's get back on track to the Glass Coating application. Make sure you shake the bottle vigorously before using the product:

Spray the Glass Coating on the glass directly:

Here's what the glass coating looks as it was sprayed on the glass:

Using a clean foam applicator pad, spread the product around the glass. I like to do a 50% overlapping motion then cover the same area once again in the direction perpendicular to the previous motion (Cross hatch pattern). This is the same way you apply paint coatings.

Wait approximately 2 minutes... You will be left with some high spots as shown below:

Then lightly buff the glass using a clean microfiber towel to remove all these highspots:

The same procedure was pretty much done to my other vehicle except, the other half of the windshield was left alone.

Spray Carpro Eraser on the windshield:

Wipe the windshield. Ensure no streaks are left behind.

Here's a picture of the tape line:

Spray the Glass Coating on the glass directly:

Coating flashing off:

Then lightly buff the glass using a clean microfiber towel to remove all these highspots:

Results:

For the first vehicle, there's really no difference in the beading behavior between the side with the Glass Coating and the side with the FK425. I didn't take a picture of this because the windshield just showed uniform beading.

I did see a difference on the second vehicle between the coated side and the uncoated side. The coating on this vehicle was applied approximately a month ago. While driving to work this morning, I noticed some kind of residue that the uncoated side has that the coated side ddin't have.

I originally thought this residue was on the inside glass and was uniform throughout the entire glass. (You know, the residue you get inside your glass from not cleaning it after a while LOL) But we experienced some light drizzle while I was driving to work this morning and when the water dried up, I could clearly see that this residue was on the outside glass. You can see on the right side that there are circular clean areas surrounding each water droplet. Clearly, the coating prevented this residue from bonding to the glass! I was blown away at this point.

We had a rare occurrence of rain today. I thought I'd see an area of flat water on the uncoated side of the windshield but it was beading. However, you can definitely see a difference when you're spraying water on the windshield. Here's a video of the difference:

As you can see, the coated side (driver side) was beading water like crazy. The uncoated side (passenger side) was holding water in larger groups.

As I was washing the windshield and wiping it dry using a microfiber towel, I could definitely tell that the coated side had a slick surface. The uncoated side was very grabby. It's the same kind of feeling you get when you wash your dishes with dawn. Like it's squeaky clean.

Thoughts and Observations:

The product's consistency is very thin like water. The color is clear like water too. It has a slight chemical smell to it.

The product was very easy to apply, spread and buff off. There were some highspots that required a little extra effort to buff off though. But I don't blame this on the product. It was above 90F when I applied the paint coating to the windshield and I think I left it for more than 2 minutes. I would like to think that the coating is doing what it's supposed to - providing a hard shell of protection.

It left the glass EXTREMELY SLICK. It feels like I just applied sealant on the glass.

Whenever I wash my vehicles, I normally use a spray LSP or QD after to give it some protection and boost the shine and slickness. It's so easy to do anyway. And after I'm done with the vehicle, I use the MF towel that was damp from the spray LSP/QD in it and wipe all my glass down with it. This would make water bead on glass already. So if you like doing this often, I don't think a glass coating is necessary. I'm sure this Glass Coating will provide a longer and tougher protection compared to spray LSPs or QDs.

The price is very reasonable for a coating that works. You only need a few sprays per panel of glass. A 4oz bottle will last you a long time and will coat glass of many many vehicles!

Conclusion:

This product works as advertised - it provides a coating on the glass and makes water bead. It also prevents from "stuff" on sticking to glass, just like any other coating would.

As always, thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed this review. Comments are appreciated.
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: McKee’s 37 Glass Coating

Great review. The video tells the story. McKee's glass coating is a good product and works as advertised.

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent review Marc!

Post Thanks / Like

Keep us posted on your thoughts and observations long term. I've used it and want to like it but over time it doesn't seem to hold up well for me.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Nicely done review Marc, very professional
    http://Www.gonzodetailing.com

Anything in life worth doing is worth over doing, moderation is for cowards.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Great review. The video tells the story. McKee's glass coating is a good product and works as advertised.
    Thanks a lot Mike! I appreciate the kind words.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankS View Post
    Excellent review Marc!
    Thank you so much Frank!

Quote Originally Posted by pdqgp View Post
    Keep us posted on your thoughts and observations long term. I've used it and want to like it but over time it doesn't seem to hold up well for me.
    Will keep it in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by atgonzales View Post
    Nicely done review Marc, very professional
    Thanks a lot atgonzales!
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pdqgp View Post
    I put it on my daily driver ram that sits out 24/7 back in early September of last year. Washed once a month at best. It doesn't bead as good as it did when it was fresh, but it is still very much alive and I still hardly ever need to use my wipers. This is in a middle TN climate by the way. I can say im pleased with it.

Jesse
    16 Ram Laramie diesel. The Daily
    08 GMC RCSB 2wd 4.8/4l80e with an eBay turbo. Street driven and built and tuned by me.
    Best so far of 7.251 @ 97.44 mph in the 1/8th. (675ish hp)

Post Thanks / Like

Hello,

I use the glass coating on all of my cars. Adding hydro blue once a month helps keep the windows clean. Not only does it help when it's raining, it's easy to clean the bugs off of the windshield.

Lou

Post Thanks / Like

Great review Marc. Do you notice the coating have any better performance during rain while on Highways?

Post Thanks / Like

Great review as always Marc. While I have used it in the past, I liked how easy it applied but as others have said, it never lasted for me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast