autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

SONAX High Speed Wax (and BSD)

What a unique product-- I'm fascinated. The High Speed Wax goes on like a spray wax but dries like a traditional carnauba wax. This is a fun product, guys. Get some! I washed my truck (2BM) today and after drying I began to apply the Sonax HSW. What I initially thought was some streaking turned out to be dried wax. Took me a few seconds to figure out what was going on. The spray bottle is awesome, by the way. A nice even mist of product comes out. And I found that I used a lot more of this product than I otherwise would use with something like Aquawax or Ultimate Quick Wax. It's just such a different product from those other, more "typical" spray waxes.

I ended up using 3-4 sprays per panel and spreading it with a folded low-gsm microfiber towel (a microfiber applicator would probably be great). After spreading in long straight passes, both L to R and top to bottom (to ensure consistent coverage), I let it sit for a few seconds while it dried. Within seconds, it sort of flashes like a traditional carnauba wax. And at that point, it's ready for removal. I then flipped the towel to a dry side and removed the product. It comes off feeling grabby, just like if you were removing something like Megs GC+ or Collinite 845. And it comes off really easily. After removed, the surface is slick. I did immediately notice some streaking, but it leveled quickly and easily with a few additional passes of the towel (I see that as proof that the product is doing what it's supposed to do-- stick!).

I immediately noticed the metallic flake popping. In fact, tonight backing out of the driveway, I could see the metallic flake on the tailgate on my nav screen back up camera. That's never happened in the three years I've had my truck. Crazy. Anyway, great product. Additionally, I applied the Brilliant Shine Detailer to my truck about a week ago, and when I washed the truck today, the water behavior was insane. The BSD has some staying power. But I'm not crazy about the grabby feeling it imparts on the paint. The grabby feeling was totally gone after applying the High Speed Wax. The HSW is slick (but not OMG slick).

Just to note, and for what it's worth, I've now got the wax sitting on top of the detailer. Not really an intentional move- I just got too excited to try out my new spray wax and so I did. Will be interesting to see how the wax affects the water behavior of the BSD. Will it be better? Worse? Different?

If if you like the carnauba look and want to achieve it very quickly and very easily, Sonax High Speed Wax is THE product for you! It totally impressed me. It's priced very well, too. It might just be my fave new product of 2017 (it is apparently a new formula).

SONAX High Speed Wax, premium liquid wax, sonax speed wax, sonax spray wax

Post Thanks / Like

Re: SONAX High Speed Wax (and BSD)

Thanks for the review Harpolith.

I love the Sonax BSD. I like it for the same reason you mentioned - insane water beading after application. And like you said, it lasts. I consider BSD a Spray LSP. I find it too thick to be a QD anyway.

I'm going to try the high speed Wax and add it on my next order. Sounds like the WG Fuzion Spray Wax. Do you have the new clear bottle or the older red bottle?
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marc08EX View Post
    Thanks for the review Harpolith.

I love the Sonax BSD. I like it for the same reason you mentioned - insane water beading after application. And like you said, it lasts. I consider BSD a Spray LSP. I find it too thick to be a QD anyway.

I'm going to try the high speed Wax and add it on my next order. Sounds like the WG Fuzion Spray Wax. Do you have the new clear bottle or the older red bottle?
    I have the new clear bottle (never did have a chance to try the red bottle so I can't offer a comparison). The wax itself is a milky-yellow color and much thinner in consistency than the BSD. The wax is also easier to spread on a panel. I agree with you-- the BSD is too thick to be used as a quick detailer. The wax applies and spreads much easier.

Funny you mention the Fuzion-- I've read reviews but haven't tried it. As I was applying the HSW today, I thought to myself "this seems just like the descriptions of the Fusion".

Regarding the BSD, I've developed a new method for application. Owing to its thicker consistency, it likes to be sprayed forcefully in order to get a nice fine mist from the bottle. And it sprays FAR when sprayed forcefully. So rather than delicately spritzing up close with a quarter pull of the trigger and working smaller areas as I do with most QD's, I stand back about 3 feet and really give 'er hell. I'll go down the whole side of a vehicle giving 5 or 6 big sweeping pulls and it'll put a nice fine mist down. I then go back with a towel in each hand, spread with one towel, and final wipe with another.

Post Thanks / Like

Over the big pond on a nother forum their are 1000 threads about mixing bds with different QD 50/50 mix
    I have mine mixed with J Leno detailors you get the best of both worlds and I think Lenos middle name is Adams

Post Thanks / Like

I talked with one of the product reps at a detailing open house earlier this summer. He said that the HSW was mostly just new packaging wither the bottle and color. It is nice and slick.

I was asking about BSD as well because I use it a bunch but would like a little more slickness as well. He said the reason it isn't slick is because it is basically a straight Polymer product with no slickness agents added. For those of us that use coating we are getting more use to this lack of slickness.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harpolith View Post
    What a unique product-- I'm fascinated. The High Speed Wax goes on like a spray wax but dries like a traditional carnauba wax. This is a fun product, guys. Get some! I washed my truck (2BM) today and after drying I began to apply the Sonax HSW. What I initially thought was some streaking turned out to be dried wax. Took me a few seconds to figure out what was going on. The spray bottle is awesome, by the way. A nice even mist of product comes out. And I found that I used a lot more of this product than I otherwise would use with something like Aquawax or Ultimate Quick Wax. It's just such a different product from those other, more "typical" spray waxes.

I ended up using 3-4 sprays per panel and spreading it with a folded low-gsm microfiber towel (a microfiber applicator would probably be great). After spreading in long straight passes, both L to R and top to bottom (to ensure consistent coverage), I let it sit for a few seconds while it dried. Within seconds, it sort of flashes like a traditional carnauba wax. And at that point, it's ready for removal. I then flipped the towel to a dry side and removed the product. It comes off feeling grabby, just like if you were removing something like Megs GC+ or Collinite 845. And it comes off really easily. After removed, the surface is slick. I did immediately notice some streaking, but it leveled quickly and easily with a few additional passes of the towel (I see that as proof that the product is doing what it's supposed to do-- stick!).

I immediately noticed the metallic flake popping. In fact, tonight backing out of the driveway, I could see the metallic flake on the tailgate on my nav screen back up camera. That's never happened in the three years I've had my truck. Crazy. Anyway, great product. Additionally, I applied the Brilliant Shine Detailer to my truck about a week ago, and when I washed the truck today, the water behavior was insane. The BSD has some staying power. But I'm not crazy about the grabby feeling it imparts on the paint. The grabby feeling was totally gone after applying the High Speed Wax. The HSW is slick (but not OMG slick).

Just to note, and for what it's worth, I've now got the wax sitting on top of the detailer. Not really an intentional move- I just got too excited to try out my new spray wax and so I did. Will be interesting to see how the wax affects the water behavior of the BSD. Will it be better? Worse? Different?

If if you like the carnauba look and want to achieve it very quickly and very easily, Sonax High Speed Wax is THE product for you! It totally impressed me. It's priced very well, too. It might just be my fave new product of 2017 (it is apparently a new formula).

SONAX High Speed Wax, premium liquid wax, sonax speed wax, sonax spray wax
    Nice product bought it a couple days ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with mbkite about mixing. BSD and CG V7 at 1:1 is an awesome combo. Easier to apply than BSD alone, retains some of the slickness of V7, but lasts longer and way better beading than V7 alone. Give it a go if you have both.

Post Thanks / Like

This is the only Spray wax I have ever liked to use, for all the reasons you mentioned. Great product at a good value.
    2019 GLI 35th Edition DSG in Pure Grey w/ OEM+ IS38 turbocharger and various bolt-ons.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rmd View Post
    Agree with mbkite about mixing. BSD and CG V7 at 1:1 is an awesome combo. Easier to apply than BSD alone, retains some of the slickness of V7, but lasts longer and way better beading than V7 alone. Give it a go if you have both.
    V7 has nearly no beading by itself. I was never shook up about it personally. I have some of both and may try this.
    2019 GLI 35th Edition DSG in Pure Grey w/ OEM+ IS38 turbocharger and various bolt-ons.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

These are all great products. I also added Optimums spray wax and been using that this summer. It's so good, gives lasting shine and protection and smells incredible.

I have mixed V07 with Optimums qd gloss enhancer and damn! Maybe I should also try the other combo.