autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anyone try the new Rupes microfiber pads?

I have the old and new Rupes mf. The new seems to have less cut and matts down pretty easy. Definitely one of the worst mf out there. The blue coarse wool is not as aggressive as they would make you believe either.

Post Thanks / Like

Kinda surprising if the new pads are worse. I like those new woolpads, i think they cut more than Megs mf.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joel1979 View Post
    Kinda surprising if the new pads are worse. I like those new woolpads, i think they cut more than Megs mf.
    I am curious to know your thoughts on the yellow medium wool. Personally I find its performance superior to the coarse blue wool, the wool nap on the yellow is really nice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin47 View Post
    I have the old and new Rupes mf. The new seems to have less cut and matts down pretty easy. Definitely one of the worst mf out there. The blue coarse wool is not as aggressive as they would make you believe either.
    That's sort of what I gathered from using the new MF pads. I ended up backing off the amount of compound from three drops to, two drops. Still, I prefer the original.

The new MF finishing pads are pretty good, but they don't seem to want to mat down, but they also don't seem to want to rotate as well as the original. They have more surface area as they're pretty plush, which slows them down by comparison.

I'd look for new liquids to be introduced for use with the new pads, which might optimize their performance.

Until then, andaybe after - I really like the original MF pads with their current compounds.

Post Thanks / Like

Now that I have more time with the new pads, here are some of my findings:

Polishing pads:

Like stated before, the new finishing pad is significantly more dense. As a result, it really grabs on to the paint, and really slows rotation by comparison. The fibers seem more durable, and more resilient to being brushed out. The cut seems less, and the finish seems on par with the original.

Cutting Pads:

The new pad is much less dense in fiber, and it has a lot more rotation it's cut seems similar to the original, but we're looking at the fiber dense original pad slowing down the overall spin to a degree, vs the new pads more nimble, less dense fiber structure giving way to increased rotation. While the fibers of the new pad mat down quicker, again the fibers in the are much more resilient to being brushed out, where the closed loop fibers found in the original pad can be severely damaged by over zealous brushing. I've scalped about three of them before I had to scale back my brushing technique. I also feel like the new versions are much easier to clean out at the end of the job.

I've spent quote a bit of time with the original pads. I've been using them since the summer of 2014 - before I even had a Rupes tool, and have really enjoyed them. I also have a lifetime supply given my current work load! That being said, I can definitely use these new pads when the time comes to switch over. Until then, I may bulk up more on the familiar original design.

6. Thanks mc2hill thanked for this post
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Wait till u try the yellow medium wool.

8. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin47 View Post
    Wait till u try the yellow medium wool.
    Havent tested that yet. Are you saying that it cuts as good as coarse wool?

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joel1979 View Post
    Havent testes that yet. Are you saying it cuts aa good as coarse wool?
    The blue coarse wool like the new mf mats down pretty easy and performance deteriorates fast. The yellow medium wool cuts more, finishes better and just keeps chugging along. They really hit the ball out the park with the yellow wool.

11. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Any more experience of Rupes new mf and wool pads? Im going to test yellow wool next week. They all feel good so far but dont know about durability yet. Intrerested to see if the yellow actully cuts more.

Post Thanks / Like

Apparently Rupes will release new microfiber pads again. This time foam backing instead of polyurethan backing.

I Really hope that these new pads will beat Meguairs which are still my favourite mf pads.

14. Likes WRAPT C5Z06 liked this post
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast