autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Makita PO5000C Review

Quote Originally Posted by WRAPT C5Z06 View Post
    ... Counterclockwise is both modes.

So it's the same as the Flex. Bummer!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review. I had a chance to play with the Makita for a bit and like you said, it definitely works better with thin pads. If I had to guess, I'd say the Makita in forced mode corrects faster than the 3401. Any forced rotation polisher is going to have the tendency to "steer" or "walk". I found the Makita to feel smoother/less vibration than the 3401(not that it was bad).

Free spin mode is worthless.

Counterclockwise is both modes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Agreed.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review. I had a chance to play with the Makita for a bit and like you said, it definitely works better with thin pads. If I had to guess, I'd say the Makita in forced mode corrects faster than the 3401. Any forced rotation polisher is going to have the tendency to "steer" or "walk". I found the Makita to feel smoother/less vibration than the 3401(not that it was bad).

Free spin mode is worthless.

Counterclockwise is both modes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    According to Mike, it spins clockwise in forced mode and counter clockwise in free spin. Which is it? I'm sure it's been confirmed by now. I'm just late to the game.

Review: Makita PO5000C Orbital Polisher - Gear-driven and Free Spinning - Mike Phillips
    "Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Methodical View Post
    According to Mike, it spins clockwise in forced mode and counter clockwise in free spin. Which is it? I'm sure it's been confirmed by now. I'm just late to the game.

Review: Makita PO5000C Orbital Polisher - Gear-driven and Free Spinning - Mike Phillips
    It 100% spins counter clockwise in forced mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the feedback^^^^
    "Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

Mike Phillips

Thanks for the feedback^^^^
    That's one of the few documented mistakes I've ever made in posting to the Internet since 1994.

Not sure how I got it wrong when I probably have more how-to articles tools and buffing than anyone breathing.

Oh yeah, I corrected the mistake in the original review here,

And helped Mark with customer care to return his once he decided he liked being pulled around from a tool that rotates a pad clockwise better than being pulled around from a tool that rotates a pad counter clockwise.

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly the direction of rotation really doesn’t matter. (At least to me) I have been using rotary polishers that spin clockwise forever. I was hesitant to get a Flex 3401 when they came out due to its counterclockwise rotation......... Then I tried a 3401 and after 1.5 seconds of polishing it didn’t matter. To this day I have no trouble switching between machines that spin one way or another. The only way I could see someone saying I don’t like the direction of the spin would be because they are picking up a bead on the wrong side(due to habit) and splattering compound or polish all over the place. To date I haven’t seen a single person complain of that on the Forums.
    Jim

8. Thanks RamAirV1 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

i know many have mentioned that it stalls in free spinning mode. this guy must have gotten lucky with his because his doesn't really stall that easy...

10. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

And helped Mark with customer care to return his once he decided he liked being pulled around from a tool that rotates a pad clockwise better than being pulled around from a tool that rotates a pad counter clockwise.

You sure did. I must say, however, after trying the Mille, which way it rotates made no difference. In fact, I still like the 3401 the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    '03 Corvette Z06

Mike Phillips

I must say, however, after trying the Mille, which way it rotates made no difference.

I agree.

What I laugh about is when I read some guys say they prefer the RUPES Mille to the Makita PO5000C or FLEX 3401 because the prefer that the pad is rotated clockwise with the Mille. For those that don't know, the Makita PO5000C and the FLEX 3401 rotate the pad counter clockwise.

What these guys are actually saying is,

I like being pulled around a panel this way versus the other way....

To me that is ridiculous.

Time to hit the gym and learn how to hold ANY polisher, figure out it's characteristics and then buff out the car.

13. Thanks VISITOR thanked for this post
    Likes VISITOR, RamAirV1, Martin53 liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast