autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: McKee’s 37 Xtreme Iron Remover

Nice review Marc!

Post Thanks / Like

Every time I read a wheel cleaner review that states you agitated the wheel makes me sigh.

What do I mean by this? We are reading these reviews to determine what these chemicals can do outside of the realm of soap and water. What is the point of using a wheel cleaner if agitating with soap and water is going to do the same thing?

I think we should start testing these cleaners on a wheel that has been cleaned with soap and water, dried, and then cleaned with the wheel cleaner so that we actually know how well it removes the contamination we care about.

/rant, nice review!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M at ShowShine View Post
    Every time I read a wheel cleaner review that states you agitated the wheel makes me sigh.

What do I mean by this? We are reading these reviews to determine what these chemicals can do outside of the realm of soap and water. What is the point of using a wheel cleaner if agitating with soap and water is going to do the same thing?

I think we should start testing these cleaners on a wheel that has been cleaned with soap and water, dried, and then cleaned with the wheel cleaner so that we actually know how well it removes the contamination we care about.

/rant, nice review!

Are you ever going to clean a wheel without agitating?

Post Thanks / Like

I don't agitate when it's my steel winter rims or if it's just a maintenance wash. If it's a full detail and seal the rims, dress the tires, then I do agitate.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Post Thanks / Like

He didn't even agitate...

@OP. Do you really wear gloves everytime you touch your car?

Post Thanks / Like

Great review Marc. Great results from using the iron remover on your wheels.

I do agree that this does not smell as bad as ironx or ferrex. By the way McKee's iron remover works fine on coated paint. It still clings.

I like McKee's but I find that ironx and ferrex react faster with iron particles on paint.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post

Nothing wrong with wearing the proper protective PPE. I do it as well when working with chemicals. Marc's a smart guy to do so. As Mike Phillips often mentions, "if it's on you, it's in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Great review, Marc! But 90'F at 6am!!! I could never live in the desert!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Mccracken View Post
    Are you ever going to clean a wheel without agitating?
    Nope! Personally I dont even want to touch a wheel cleaner strong enough to strip away grim w/o the need for agitation. Such a product can be good in the long term for the wheels, the environment, or your health!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Angus View Post
    Nope! Personally I dont even want to touch a wheel cleaner strong enough to strip away grim w/o the need for agitation. Such a product can be good in the long term for the wheels, the environment, or your health!!
    Well, personally I wear gloves about 5% of the time - usually when doing tires and wheels because I don't like the stuff on my hands.

God made skin to protect us from detailing products.

Anyhoo, I think that your statement about products that don't need agitation are more based on opinion rather than fact. Without knowing the exact makeup of these products, I'm sure there are a host of common acids that produce a chemical reaction with iron to bring it into solution so it can rinse off. As such, I'm sure the grime, brake dust (not necessarily iron), motor oil, gasoline, brake fluid and all the other junk that is washed off the car is probably more harmful to the environment than the simple inorganic and organic acids used to catalyze solid iron into a dissolved salt (or however it goes into solution).

Iron removers are for removing iron that's embedded. Shampoo or agitation is for grime, dirt and everything else on the wheel.

(Sent via my mobile device...)

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | Gyeon Syncro | Gyeon Cancoat

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrankS View Post
    Nice review Marc!
    Thank you Frank!

/rant, nice review!
    Thank you Sean M!

I agree with your statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    I wear gloves anytime I use chemicals when cleaning the car. I don't wear gloves when I drive the car.

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Great review Marc. Great results from using the iron remover on your wheels.

I do agree that this does not smell as bad as ironx or ferrex. By the way McKee's iron remover works fine on coated paint. It still clings.

I like McKee's but I find that ironx and ferrex react faster with iron particles on paint.

Nothing wrong with wearing the proper protective PPE. I do it as well when working with chemicals. Marc's a smart guy to do so. As Mike Phillips often mentions, "if it's on you, it's in you."
    Thanks a lot Mike! I appreciate it!

I'll try using this on my coated paint next time. Thanks for the tip. I just didn't want to give this product a disadvantage for the review if it doesn't cling on coated paint.

Thanks again Mike hehehe! Yup - I agree with that. If the chemical's on you, it's on you.

Quote Originally Posted by Angus View Post
    Great review, Marc! But 90'F at 6am!!! I could never live in the desert!!
    Thanks a lot Angus! Yeah it sucks living in the desert but our winters are amazing!
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast