autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Review: Gyeon Trim

If there is one part of a car that I hate detailing more than wheels and tires, it has to be trim. The trim of my 2013 Tesla Model S is over 4 years old. In the midwest, the winters are long and harsh at times, and trim takes a beating with all the salt that constantly barrages its faces. Adding to that is a seemingly monthly occurrence from spring to fall of repaving the suburban roads. There`s a lot of oil and tar, and it sometimes seems like a never ending effort to clean the trim and apply some sort of dressing or coating to our cars in order to save the trim.

In the past, I have used CarPro DLUX for trim. For 2017, I thought I`d try out Gyeon Q2 Trim.

Manufacturer`s Information
    Q˛ Trim has a formula that allows it to be applied on different vehicles’ parts: on plastics with their own structure, on unpainted parts, on so-called piano-black materials, which are most problematic to maintain, and on lamp and headlight shades after renovation has been conducted. That unique quality is unlikely to be encountered in other available products.
    BOX CONTAINS: Q˛ TRIM / MANUAL / APPLICATOR / 4 SUEDE CLOTHS / FACEMASK
    AVAILABLE CAPACITIES: 30 ML
    CONSUMPTION: 30ml / 5-10 cars
    HARDNESS: +2H
    PH TOLERANCE: 2-11
    CONTACT ANGLE: >80`
    THICKNESS: 0,2 - 0,5qm
    DURABILITY: >24months

Cost
    $39.99 at PBMC

Application Instructions
    The instructions are fairly straightforward and involve 6 steps:
    1. Wash and degrease the trim surface
    2. Ensure that the surface is oil free and dry. Use Q2M Prep.
    3. Shake the bottle
    4. Apply a few drops onto the suede mf clot
    5. Apply to trim in a criss cross pattern
    6. Remove excess after 2-5 minutes

Preparation
    As you can see, the trim was cleaned with D103 and with Gyeon Tar. There was quite a bit a tar on the trim from some of the spring road projects going on. I went through several of these Costco towels getting the tar off the undersurface of the trim. I ran out of Gyeon Tar and finished the job with CarPro Tar X. This was performed around the perimeter of the the car. After everything was thoroughly cleaned, the trim was prepped with Gyeon Prep.

I also thoroughly cleaned the trim lining the "frunk" of the vehicle. There is often splatter that lands under the hood in this area and quite a bit of trim surface area. This area was cleaned with McKee`s N914 and prepped with Gyeon Prep.

Subject Application
    Gyeon Trim was applied all over the plastic lining the "frunk" with nice results. Here is a freshly cleaned "frunk" liner and the result after application of Gyeon Trim. There is a deepening of the black color as well as a slight reflectivity to the trim, which I like.

Before

After

This is the result of applying Gyeon Trim to the plastic trim inferior to the doors. Notice the faded trim appearance along the surface of the driver`s side front door trim. The color is restored and protected after application of Gyeon Trim.

Before

After

Discussion
    There are a lot of options for protecting trim, and I truly sympathize with detailers that have to clean, restore and protect trim on vehicles like Jeeps and others that have a lot of it. Frankly, it`s a PITA. So, I think the ideal trim protectant involves the least amount of work and restores & protects for the longest time possible. Basic trim sealants in my experience don`t last in the midwest winters. I`ve used a number of restorers and protectants, and they all seem to restore fairly well and give trim a nice shine as well as deepen their colors.

Ease of application is what I`m after. Applying coatings like DLUX and Gyeon Trim isn`t time consuming, but it certainly takes longer than using a cleaner and protectant (e.g., Blackfire AIO Trim and Tire). However, I find myself reapplying these AIO products more frequently than I am a trim coating. Therefore, a trim coating has advantages in terms of longevity and in terms of time spent cleaning. In my experience, when I have applied DLUX and C4, cleaning certainly has been easier and I`ll get some miles out of those coatings.

Gyeon Trim was no different in terms of prep when compared to others. On visual inspection, it doesn`t appear to be any better (or worse) looking than any of the other coatings. It is competitively priced when I view other trim coatings (Gtechniq C4 = $39.99; DLUX = $39.99). We`ll see how Gyeon Trim lasts.

Summary
    Gyeon Trim is a competitively priced trim coating that restores and protects your trim. With proper preparation, application is straightforward and hard to mess up.

(Sent via my mobile device...)

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | Gyeon Syncro | Gyeon Cancoat

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: Gyeon Trim

How does water react to the Gyeon Trim coating?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buster906 View Post
    How does water react to the Gyeon Trim coating?

I don't know yet; I'm letting it cure a bit. I can update the post tomorrow with some pictures.

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kevincwelch View Post
    I don't know yet; I'm letting it cure a bit. I can update the post tomorrow with some pictures.
    Is this your first time using Gyeon Trim coating. How long is the curing process?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buster906 View Post
    Is this your first time using Gyeon Trim coating. How long is the curing process?
    This is my first time applying Gyeon Trim. I couldn't find any specific information about cure time; however, Gtechniq C4 is 12 hours and DLUX is 1-3 hours. CarPro advises removing water from the trim if it gets wet within 24 hours and not washing for 3 days. Therefore, I am going to be conservative and wait 24 hours before doing any water testing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kevincwelch View Post
    This is my first time applying Gyeon Trim. I couldn't find any specific information about cure time; however, Gtechniq C4 is 12 hours and DLUX is 1-3 hours. CarPro advises removing water from the trim if it gets wet within 24 hours and not washing for 3 days. Therefore, I am going to be conservative and wait 24 hours before doing any water testing.
    Do you have a garage for your vehicle?

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

kevinwelch, are you a self taught detailer? Have you attended any detailing classes? And is detailing your business?

Post Thanks / Like

By the way, nice garage

Post Thanks / Like

I am a hobbyist detailer who details my own and those of some friends. It's a barter system

It would be a lie if I said I am self-taught. I've been taught by all the professionals and hobbyists on this forum. That and a little trial and error. One day I hope to head down to Stuart, FL to attend one of Mike's classes. I just need to find the time.

(Sent via my mobile device...)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast