autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hd speed headlight clean up

yeah, just use a compound instead of speed, use the typical ceramic coating paint prep on the headlights then apply ceramic coating..

Post Thanks / Like

So far for all the headlights I have done I have used Opticoat 2.0 as a lsp.

I purchased McKee's 37 headlight protectant last year but have not used it yet. I have tried McKee's all in one polish on my last job and wasn't impressed. It worked ok but I feel it come off better doing M105 and M205 combo. I had to do it twice on each headlamp so I did not save any time so when my bottle is done I will probably switch back to compound and polish instead of an AIO. I purchased it thinking it could be done on headlights without sanding, but instructions on the bottle say to sand with 3 grades of sandpaper before using... so meh.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    So far for all the headlights I have done I have used Opticoat 2.0 as a lsp.

I purchased McKee's 37 headlight protectant last year but have not used it yet. I have tried McKee's all in one polish on my last job and wasn't impressed. It worked ok but I feel it come off better doing M105 and M205 combo. I had to do it twice on each headlamp so I did not save any time so when my bottle is done I will probably switch back to compound and polish instead of an AIO. I purchased it thinking it could be done on headlights without sanding, but instructions on the bottle say to sand with 3 grades of sandpaper before using... so meh.
    McKee's AIO says to sand before using??? That's not what the infomercial says if I recall correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I will take some pictures of the bottle and instructions if I can think of it tonight.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Route246 View Post
    McKee's AIO says to sand before using??? That's not what the infomercial says if I recall correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    what pad did you use?
    mckee AIO headlight with supplied LC purple foamed wool and drill..only thing I didn't like about it was it dried up quickly..where as scholls S-0 or s3 XXL kept going..like you had to do it 2x..so may as well do two more agressive compounds and take things out quicker
    ps...still tempted to try some carpro ceriglass lol

i used menzerna liquid sanding which is equivalent to 800 grit.,..
    no compound/pad combo will fix a headlight that needs resurfaced from hazed or crazed(crow feet cracks like you'd see on honda paint)

if it needs resurfaced, 600grit, 1500, grit, compound will do it half the time

The majority of the time you'll need to do 320,500,800,1000,3000 to completely remove factory UV coating.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@ShineStruck View Post
    what pad did you use?
    mckee AIO headlight with supplied LC purple foamed wool and drill..only thing I didn't like about it was it dried up quickly..where as scholls S-0 or s3 XXL kept .

i used menzerna liquid sanding which is equivalent to 800 grit.,..
    no compound/pad combo will fix a headlight that needs resurfaced from hazed or crazed(crow feet cracks like you'd see on honda paint)

if it needs resurfaced, 600grit, 1500, grit, compound will do it half the time

The majority of the time you'll need to do 320,500,800,1000,3000 to completely remove factory UV coating.
    I used the purple wool pad that comes with the kit on a battery powered drill. I also have a wired drill but it's RPM is much much higher and I think that a mistake might make it to meld plastic, so I don't use it on headlights. I think that pad works very well.

Never went lower than 500 grits on headlights. I normally start at 600, then go to 1500 then 3000.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    I used the purple wool pad that comes with the kit on a battery powered drill. I also have a wired drill but it's RPM is much much higher and I think that a mistake might make it to meld plastic, so I don't use it on headlights. I think that pad works very well.

Never went lower than 500 grits on headlights. I normally start at 600, then go to 1500 then 3000.
    600 wouldnt touch this crazed HL sometimes 600 didnt get even get haze on some headlights like the solstice i've done..did 320 on both
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hd speed headlight clean up-crazedhl-jpg  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12