autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Review - Gyeon Leather Shield (Leather Coating)

Product: Gyeon Leather Shield

Product link: TBD if it becomes available through Autogeek

Price: $49.99

Quantity: 50 ml

Product description: From Gyeon's site

Advanced quartz coating specially formulated for automotive leather. Q² LeatherShield is suitable for every type of leather produced to date and does not change the finish of your upholstery. Very easy to apply, only one layer required. Repels dirt and prevents discoloration, protects against liquids and UV-rays.

Q² LeatherShield is an advanced, SiO2 (silicon dioxide) based formula, specially developed for automotive leather upholstery. It provides superb protection against dirt, UV rays and the rigors of everyday usage. Q² LeatherShield is amazingly simple to apply, requiring only one layer. It’s designed for and been tested on all modern types of leather, providing great protection and no change of feel or color, leaving a fully matte finish. Q² LeatherShield does not stiffen the leather or make it more slippery, maintaining the regular comfort of use.

Clean leather with Q²M LeatherCleaner. Apply a moderate amount of the product with the attached suede applicator. Ensure even application. Wipe off if necessary or just leave to dry. Apply on a hardly visible part of the upholstery to test before coating. Q² LeatherShield is a coating developed for all types of leather upholstery to date. Before use on open-structure, aniline leather, proceed with a test panel and be extraordinary carefull about even application. Please note, that Q²M LeatherShield is a product designed for protection and not restoration. It will not show its full abilities on old, worn or damaged leather.
    Usage and durability claims from Gyeon's Site

Consumption: 40ml/car
    PH Tolerance: pH 2-11
    Durability: >12 months / 20K km

Brief background on this particular product. This was announced back in November at SEMA. It is a new product offering from Gyeon for 2017.

As the above product description states, this is an Si02 leather coating. It's similar to Cquartz Leather Coating in terms of both being quartz based coatings designed to work with leather.

I had pre-ordered it from a different site and not thru Autogeek. I am not sure if it will be sold through Autogeek.

It comes in a really nice and attractive package. Similar to can coat.

Here are the what the product claims to do.

Directions clearly stated on the package and on the bottle. Easier to read on the box instead of the clear bottle.

The amount included is 50 ml for $50. More than the cquartz leather coating which is 30 ml for $70. The 50 ml of cquartz leather coating is $95.

Included contents except the costco towel.

Per Gyeon's site

Box contains: Q² LEATHERSHIELD / APPLICATOR / 6 SUEDE CLOTHS
    I was missing two suede cloths if this kit is supposed to come with 6. Other than that I received everything.

I am going to have to refer to the video for application. The product goes on wet but as it is flashing off the surface it goes clear. I followed the directions as the leather coating is left to flash off. No darkening effect noticed. The leather looks untouched in terms of looks just as the product description states.

Prior to applying it, I cleaned the leather with Meguiar's D181 followed by a towel damp with water to remove any residue left behind by the leather cleaner. Essentially the same process that I did for cquartz leather coating.

Finished photo

Due to me not knowing how the coating works and whether or not it can get wet right away, I let it sit overnight to cure. Cquartz leather coating recommends to not get the coated surface wet for 4 hours as well as the coating fully curing in 3 days. I treated Gyeon Leather shield the same.

The next day I used the included pipette to deposit water onto the leather surface to see if the surface had become hydrophobic. I also misted it with a spray bottle (water in the spray bottle) as seen in the part 2 video. The only reason I show this is to display whether or not the surface tension has changed. No other reason. Plus we all enjoy seeing beading .

Here are the results of depositing water onto the leather surface. The water was easily wiped off and left no water spots behind.

Overall I enjoyed using this leather coating. Initial impressions is that it is a very good competitor to Cquartz Leather Coating. It helps that it is cost less with more in quantity compared to cquartz leather. Making leather shield more attractive. Long term performance will be the telling sign of whether or not it is a direct competitor. I will update the progress on it as I applied it to all the seats other than the driver's seat as I have a test for another leather protectant going. Once that is done I will be coating the driver's seat.

The hydrophobic properties it leaves behind is very good. Similar to cquatrz leather. The surface between both coatings feels very similar as well. Not super slick but just enough to tell that there is something on the surface.

One thing I liked more with Gyeon Leather Shield is that a little product goes a long way. Much more than cquartz leather. I found it to be a little easier to work with as well as spreading out better.

Gyeon only recommends one coat. I was able to get a in touch with Jeff the rep from Gyeon to answer my question on multiple coats. He confirmed that one layer is all that is needed but that it can be layered for multiple coats. Thanks Jeff for getting back to me.

I also like that it does not need to be buffed off as the product is designed to flash off. It's optional to buff off. CarPro recommends buffing off any excess 2-3 mins after applying cquartz leather. One thing that worried me is that leather shield appeared to leave high spots as it was drying. I was so tempted to buff it off but I left alone as shown in the video and all was well. No high spots or streaking.

The Gyeon site states the average consumption is 40 ml per vehicle. On my 99 Pontiac Grand Prix, I hardly used any of it. The bottle is about 3/4's full. The front and rear seats are leather as well as portions of the door panel and the shift boot. So I have plenty to coat a couple more vehicles.

Based on initial impressions, I would give Gyeon Leather Shield the thumbs up. If Autogeek decides to carry it, I would recommend others to try it out.

Before I forget this product is meant to protect and not restore.

Application video

Water Repellent Test

The applicator did not get hard or stiffen up as the coating dried overnight. Similar to cquartz leather. I would say this is by design so that it flexes with the leather material.

Thanks for reading and enjoy the videos. Future updates for long term durability testing will be available as time goes on.

-Mike

2. Likes FrankS, Jon TDS, Texchappy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review - Gyeon Leather Shield (Leather Coating)

Mike

Nicely done and always professional

Sent from my iPad using AGOnline
    http://Www.gonzodetailing.com

Anything in life worth doing is worth over doing, moderation is for cowards.

Post Thanks / Like

Top Notch review. I've been debating about this product. Now I feel, I can pull the trigger. Thank you, and the Gyeon conversion continues.

Sent from my KFGIWI using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Amazing review as always Mike! Very detailed and you covered all aspects of this product.

You're making me want to try leather coatings and this seem to be easier to use and cheaper than he CQuartz counterpart.

Do you think any leather cleaner will do or is it only Gyeon leather cleaner that will work? I saw you used the Meg's.

Will this also prevent leather from cracking?

Thanks for doing this. Could not have been a better review man.
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Post Thanks / Like

Great review my friend!

Post Thanks / Like

I did my front seats almost exactly a month ago on my car. I agree with pretty much everything you said. To me it did make it feel slicker but didn't add any sheen to it which is a good thing for me. The main reason I coated mine was to help the wear on my side bolster which I rub every time I get into my car. It is the only area that shows much wear on a 8 year old car.

As far as the hydrophobic qualities I don't know if the drops of water mean much on the coated leather used in cars. They all should bead with nothing applied to them. I just did the same to mine on the front seats which are coated and the rears which I haven't done yet. To me they look the same but my fronts were coated a month ago. What I don't know is how good it bonded with my leather since in January I did my whole interior with WG cockpit and just cleaned my seats with Q2M leather cleaner and not sure of it being good enough to bond correctly.

Mine also came with 4 application suede's and I wonder if that is right for the 50ml size and the 6 is with the 100ml size. I agree that it goes a long way and I will be able to do a car my size 3 times at least. I have put 3 coats on the side bolster and did the seat on my 33 year old garden tractor and still have quite a bit left. The seat on the tractor really took a beating this winter and I hope the Leather Shield will help with UV protection on the vinyl. A new seat cover may be hard ti find.

Here is how much I have used.

Here is a picture of my garden tractor I just took.

My front side bolster.

Water drops on my front seat which was coated.

Water drops on my rear seat which has not been coated even tho did have WG Cockpit applied mid January.

All Pictures were taken in the last hour or so.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by atgonzales View Post
    Mike

Nicely done and always professional

Sent from my iPad using AGOnline
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tc99m View Post
    Top Notch review. I've been debating about this product. Now I feel, I can pull the trigger. Thank you, and the Gyeon conversion continues.

Sent from my KFGIWI using Tapatalk
    Thanks. Hopefully it will be carried here at Autogeek. I picked up on sale at another place.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc08EX View Post
    Amazing review as always Mike! Very detailed and you covered all aspects of this product.

You're making me want to try leather coatings and this seem to be easier to use and cheaper than he CQuartz counterpart.

Do you think any leather cleaner will do or is it only Gyeon leather cleaner that will work? I saw you used the Meg's.

Will this also prevent leather from cracking?

Thanks for doing this. Could not have been a better review man.
    Thanks Marc. I'm a fan of cquartz leather and how easy it is to clean. Typically a damp towel is all that is needed. On occasion I will use Meguiar's Quick Interior Detailer for a wipedown. It has not degraded the cquartz leather coating.

I am hoping Gyeon Leather Shield performs just as well.

I am sure any leather cleaner will work. I used Meguiar's because that is the only leather cleaner I have and it works very well.

I am not sure if it will prevent the leather from cracking. I don't think it will. But I really don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient1 View Post
    I did my front seats almost exactly a month ago on my car. I agree with pretty much everything you said. To me it did make it feel slicker but didn't add any sheen to it which is a good thing for me. The main reason I coated mine was to help the wear on my side bolster which I rub every time I get into my car. It is the only area that shows much wear on a 8 year old car.

As far as the hydrophobic qualities I don't know if the drops of water mean much on the coated leather used in cars. They all should bead with nothing applied to them. I just did the same to mine on the front seats which are coated and the rears which I haven't done yet. To me they look the same but my fronts were coated a month ago. What I don't know is how good it bonded with my leather since in January I did my whole interior with WG cockpit and just cleaned my seats with Q2M leather cleaner and not sure of it being good enough to bond correctly.

Mine also came with 4 application suede's and I wonder if that is right for the 50ml size and the 6 is with the 100ml size. I agree that it goes a long way and I will be able to do a car my size 3 times at least. I have put 3 coats on the side bolster and did the seat on my 33 year old garden tractor and still have quite a bit left. The seat on the tractor really took a beating this winter and I hope the Leather Shield will help with UV protection on the vinyl. A new seat cover may be hard ti find.
    From what I have noticed is that on untreated coated leather with nothing on it, the water will sit flat. The beads will not be as tight. If the rear seats are not used as much then I could see wolfgang cockpit still hanging around.

Post Thanks / Like

Bumping up my review as it is now available on Autogeek.

GYEON Q2 Leather Shield

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Product: Gyeon Leather Shield

Product link: TBD if it becomes available through Autogeek

Price: $49.99

Quantity: 50 ml

Product description: From Gyeon's site

Usage and durability claims from Gyeon's Site

Brief background on this particular product. This was announced back in November at SEMA. It is a new product offering from Gyeon for 2017.

As the above product description states, this is an Si02 leather coating. It's similar to Cquartz Leather Coating in terms of both being quartz based coatings designed to work with leather.

I had pre-ordered it from a different site and not thru Autogeek. I am not sure if it will be sold through Autogeek.

It comes in a really nice and attractive package. Similar to can coat.

Here are the what the product claims to do.

Directions clearly stated on the package and on the bottle. Easier to read on the box instead of the clear bottle.

The amount included is 50 ml for $50. More than the cquartz leather coating which is 30 ml for $70. The 50 ml of cquartz leather coating is $95.

Included contents except the costco towel.

Per Gyeon's site

I was missing two suede cloths if this kit is supposed to come with 6. Other than that I received everything.

I am going to have to refer to the video for application. The product goes on wet but as it is flashing off the surface it goes clear. I followed the directions as the leather coating is left to flash off. No darkening effect noticed. The leather looks untouched in terms of looks just as the product description states.

Prior to applying it, I cleaned the leather with Meguiar's D181 followed by a towel damp with water to remove any residue left behind by the leather cleaner. Essentially the same process that I did for cquartz leather coating.

Finished photo

Due to me not knowing how the coating works and whether or not it can get wet right away, I let it sit overnight to cure. Cquartz leather coating recommends to not get the coated surface wet for 4 hours as well as the coating fully curing in 3 days. I treated Gyeon Leather shield the same.

The next day I used the included pipette to deposit water onto the leather surface to see if the surface had become hydrophobic. I also misted it with a spray bottle (water in the spray bottle) as seen in the part 2 video. The only reason I show this is to display whether or not the surface tension has changed. No other reason. Plus we all enjoy seeing beading .

Here are the results of depositing water onto the leather surface. The water was easily wiped off and left no water spots behind.

Overall I enjoyed using this leather coating. Initial impressions is that it is a very good competitor to Cquartz Leather Coating. It helps that it is cost less with more in quantity compared to cquartz leather. Making leather shield more attractive. Long term performance will be the telling sign of whether or not it is a direct competitor. I will update the progress on it as I applied it to all the seats other than the driver's seat as I have a test for another leather protectant going. Once that is done I will be coating the driver's seat.

The hydrophobic properties it leaves behind is very good. Similar to cquatrz leather. The surface between both coatings feels very similar as well. Not super slick but just enough to tell that there is something on the surface.

One thing I liked more with Gyeon Leather Shield is that a little product goes a long way. Much more than cquartz leather. I found it to be a little easier to work with as well as spreading out better.

Gyeon only recommends one coat. I was able to get a in touch with Jeff the rep from Gyeon to answer my question on multiple coats. He confirmed that one layer is all that is needed but that it can be layered for multiple coats. Thanks Jeff for getting back to me.

I also like that it does not need to be buffed off as the product is designed to flash off. It's optional to buff off. CarPro recommends buffing off any excess 2-3 mins after applying cquartz leather. One thing that worried me is that leather shield appeared to leave high spots as it was drying. I was so tempted to buff it off but I left alone as shown in the video and all was well. No high spots or streaking.

The Gyeon site states the average consumption is 40 ml per vehicle. On my 99 Pontiac Grand Prix, I hardly used any of it. The bottle is about 3/4's full. The front and rear seats are leather as well as portions of the door panel and the shift boot. So I have plenty to coat a couple more vehicles.

Based on initial impressions, I would give Gyeon Leather Shield the thumbs up. If Autogeek decides to carry it, I would recommend others to try it out.

Before I forget this product is meant to protect and not restore.

Application video

Water Repellent Test

The applicator did not get hard or stiffen up as the coating dried overnight. Similar to cquartz leather. I would say this is by design so that it flexes with the leather material.

Thanks for reading and enjoy the videos. Future updates for long term durability testing will be available as time goes on.

-Mike
    Nice may have to buy.

11. Thanks Arthurkoq thanked for this post
    Likes Arthurkoq liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Used it on the Sport Seats in our 2004 Corvette which has only seen occasional use of Zaino Leather In A Bottle over the years. After cleaning, applying left them quite nice, little bit of revitalization, nice finish. Pretty easy to apply, will leave a streak if applied carelessly, though.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast