autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review - Gyeon Leather Shield (Leather Coating)

I tried leathershield out last night. I ran into some issues. This is a brand new car with only 65 km's on it. I used Gyeon leather cleaner on the seats before using the coating.

First, I found that the block you wrap the suede cloth around is pretty much useless for car seats. There a way to many crevices, not flat spots and small areas that the block won't work on. It's also just not pliable enough to really fit the curvatures of seats in general. This car happens have a diamond stitched pattern on the seats, seat back, and doors. The bolsters, arm rest, middle section of back seat and headrests do not have diamond stitching. Each diamond protrudes out slightly so it was impossible to use the block and suede cloth. I ended up just using the suede cloth on it's own to apply. It worked significantly better.

Second, from what I've read about this product you may want to buff out what looks like high spots after applying, but you aren't supposed to. After drying those spots should disappear. That did not happen in my case. It looks sort of like streaking in a way. Even a simple section like the arm rest, that looked perfect as soon as I finished applying the coating, dried with some high spots on it.

The only thing I can think off is maybe I used to little of product and therefore the coverage was not uniform enough? I'm not sure though.

I'm wondering if I add a second coat will it cover up the streaking or will I just end up with the same problem. Any ideas on how to fix this or do I just ride it out until the coating degrades?

Post Thanks / Like

Can’t say exactly what went wrong with your application. Sounds like you may have used to little product.

No need to buff as it will flash to a matte finish.

Try adding a bit more and see if that helps.

Other than that all I can say is that I have had success using this product. Even the recoat after a year went on just fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Cutting a slot on either side of the foam block and pushing in the suede cloth so it is tight across the face of the applicator makes it much easier to manage.

Or using the cloth by itself as you did works perfectly fine as well, especially in the cracks and crevices.

Leather Shield is self leveling, so do not buff it off after applying. I believe you may have used too much product, as opposed to too little. I did that my first time using it as well and had a few “high spots” on my headrests. Don’t be afraid to work the coating in a little as you apply it (if you didn’t) for full even coverage.

It needs several hours to fully cure and level out. After a few hours go ahead and wipe it with a dry microfiber if you see streaking or high spots and it should help a bit.

I don’t believe multiple coats is necessary or will give you any added protection. Just my 2¢.
    ​Al Schmidt
    "Adventure, is a car called Riviera..."

4. Likes The Guz, SirFrederick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I too ended up with an isolated high spot when using it for the first time; over application and not leveling correctly. It faded after a couple of months. I used a red foam applicator like the below one for application and it worked far better than the microsuede cloth and block.

Have a new package of Leather Shield sitting on shelf, will be using soon. In my situation the stuff just plain works although this time I'll be using it on vinyl seats which Jeff from Gyeon says will work just fine.

Review - Gyeon Leather Shield (Leather Coating)-foamapp-jpg

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Can the Gyeon leather shield be used on other interior parts like door panels and dash? I know the carpro leather can. I would like to try the Gyeon Leather Shield if it can be used on all the interior parts.

I would love to hear what you guys think.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by socal2fast View Post
    Can the Gyeon leather shield be used on other interior parts like door panels and dash? I know the carpro leather can. I would like to try the Gyeon Leather Shield if it can be used on all the interior parts.

Yes...Here is a Vette interior that I just did. In this case I did all areas that would have physically contact. Doors, arm rests, center console, grab bar.

Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

8. Likes The Guz liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

So for Dash plastic and stuff like that it's good to go?

Post Thanks / Like

So for Dash plastic and stuff like that it's good to go?
    I stuck with using Leather Shield and Cquartz Leather for leather and vinyl. That is the substrate they are designed for so I can not comment on the plastic and rubber. Well I did use Cquartz leather on the piano type interior plastics as it works for that as well.

You could try contacting Gyeon or you could try it in an inconspicuous area and see if it works.

Post Thanks / Like

Can thus be used on leather steering wheels? Better yet should it be?

And Guz if your reading this any problems with perforated seats?

What about using 303 ontop every quarter? I have it and just beed to use it....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I put in on my seats and steering wheel of my new Renegade... after it dried, it looks 100% factory like nothing was applied! I'd put it on the steering wheel. I wouldn't see any issues with perforated seats, but I don't think I'd top it with anything. 303 might add shine, I personally like the new matte finish better.
    17 Land Rover Discovery: Fuji White; 07 Land Rover LR3 SEV8 4WD: Java Black Micatallic; 18 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara: Black; 05 Jeep Liberty Limited 4WD: Light Khaki Metallic

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast