autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review - Gyeon Leather Shield (Leather Coating)

Jeff McEachran from Gyeon just wrote a nice article (found at detailed image Ask A Pro Blog) on the difference between Leather Shield and Leather Coat. I recommend those that are interested in either product to check it out.

In it he mentions the following:

From a service perspective, Q2 LeatherCoat is great to recommend to clients who may have chosen your long-term leather protection service as a maintenance upkeep product. It can be used over Q2 LeatherShield as needed.
    So I took this and said let me give it a try.

A little feedback as to how Leather Shield is holding up for me. The rear seats and passenger front seat are not used as often or at all. Primarily it is just me driving and sitting on the drivers front seat. The rear seats and front passenger have had the coating for 14 months and the coating is still there. The front drivers seat has had the coating for 11 months as I was testing out another leather sealer for 3 months. Did a quick test and the coating is still on the seat and doing fine. Unfortunately no photos or videos at this time.

I gave them a wipe down this past weekend with Gyeon Leather Cleaner which will not remove the coating. I decided to give Leather Coat a shot over Leather Shield just as Jeff states. It went on fine. I misted one seat just to try something a bit different and saw the product tightly beading indicating Leather Shield is doing it's thing. I noticed that Leather Shield repels the Leather Coat while spreading it around the surface. I simply applied it and let it dry for a few minutes. Came back to remove any excess. This added a hint of slickness to the seats and no change in color to the seats.

Thanks for the tip Jeff .

FYI I typically use Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer or Optimum Opti-Clean to wipe down the seats every week or couple weeks. Noticed no dirt build up on the seats after using the leather cleaner.

2. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the great review. It sounds like Gyron is a great protection product. One of my main concerns with leather maintenance is making sure it is always conditioned in order to avoid cracking. Once Gyeon is applied, does that barrier keep the leather from being able to absorb a leather conditioner? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by msquared100 View Post
    Thanks for the great review. It sounds like Gyron is a great protection product. One of my main concerns with leather maintenance is making sure it is always conditioned in order to avoid cracking. Once Gyeon is applied, does that barrier keep the leather from being able to absorb a leather conditioner? Thanks.
    Yes. But modern day leather is coated so conditioners are not really needed unless the leather coating is compromised (not the applied coating like Gyeon or Cquartz).

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Yes. But modern day leather is coated so conditioners are not really needed unless the leather coating is compromised (not the applied coating like Gyeon or Cquartz).
    I guess but I have trouble believing that leather has progressed so much that conditioning it is no longer necessary. When applying Gyeon your simply applying it to the surface. The leather still goes through an incredible amount of stress on the backside where is untreated. Think about all the seat heaters, seat coolers, and massaging mechanisms in seats today. The leather is going to dry out from the backside even if it is sealed on the surface. Is this correct or is my thinking miss guided?

6. Likes Eldorado2k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by msquared100 View Post
    I guess but I have trouble believing that leather has progressed so much that conditioning it is no longer necessary. When applying Gyeon your simply applying it to the surface. The leather still goes through an incredible amount of stress on the backside where is untreated. Think about all the seat heaters, seat coolers, and massaging mechanisms in seats today. The leather is going to dry out from the backside even if it is sealed on the surface. Is this correct or is my thinking miss guided?
    I think we get stuck in our heads and begin to overthink things. Leather will wear with time and the coating applied on top of it is not going to prevent it from aging. Agitation from getting in and out is going to degrade it. So routine maintenance is always needed to some degree.

The term conditioner is loosely used. But the so called conditioners are just going to sit on the upper surface of the leather where it is essentially abraded off. If the leather is in bad shape or just starting to wear then yes a conditioner could probably penetrate through the coating on the leather surface.

So the question of do we really need it will come down to user preference.

Post Thanks / Like

I always think of leather conditioners like I think of wax or sealants. It might have some UV properties that mirage into the clear coat, but it’s not going to make it to the base coat.

The coating on leather is the first line of defense against everything, and I’m sure no conditioner will penetrate and hydrate anything, unless the leather is cracking like Guz said. I think best case scenario some of them could have UV inhibitors that could help, but you getting in and out/shifting in your seat is going to beat it to hell over time, and I don’t think there’s any way around that. I just look at conditioners as beauty products.

Sounds silly, but as expensive as they may be, I consider seats replaceable. If you have a car for 20 years and have to have your driver seat redone once.. maybe twice? That’s a pretty low cost I the grand scheme of things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post

The term conditioner is loosely used. But the so called conditioners are just going to sit on the upper surface of the leather where it is essentially abraded off. If the leather is in bad shape or just starting to wear then yes a conditioner could probably penetrate through the coating on the leather surface.
    Quote Originally Posted by Finick View Post
    I always think of leather conditioners like I think of wax or sealants. It might have some UV properties that mirage into the clear coat, but it’s not going to make it to the base coat.
    If leather conditioners never make it past the top coating, then how do you explain this seat still feeling supple and conditioned 3 weeks later as it sits in my buddies garage? It looks and feels just like the day I conditioned it with D180.

And if it never makes it past the top coat, then how does the leather seat ever get to feel soft and supple, the way it does after applying leather conditioner?

Post Thanks / Like

I can’t really answer some of those questions, other than to say I’ve never noticed an increased feeling of suppleness. This is just based on my experience in the past with OTC conditioners (megs gold class spray cleaner/conditioner comes to mind, as well as natural shine protectant.)

I’ve definitely felt the seats feel slicker, though.

Just recently I applied natural shine protectant by meguiars to some black leather seats, which pretty much felt the same after application as they did before.

I would say that since the seat is sitting in a garage, id be surprised if anything applied to it wore off in three weeks (assuming it’s literally just sitting there.)

I’m sure I’m the odd one out on never noticing leather feeling more supple, and I definitely don’t know enough about the chemistry behind these conditioners to really argue one way or another. Maybe there’s so unicorn blood in them or something, I’d never know.

Maybe the conditioners do in fact soak through the coating on the leather and hydrate it. But taking it to extremes, if I was to put a heavy layer (relatively speaking) of conditioner on top of leather and just leave it, would it eventually soak in and disappear? It just seems far fetched to me that it’s really penetrating.. but again, I could certainly be way off base.

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn’t put Meguiars Natural Shine Protectant in the same category as leather conditioners. I believe the old saying goes, you can use leather products on vinyl, but you shouldn’t use vinyl products on leather.

Quote Originally Posted by Finick View Post
    But taking it to extremes, if I was to put a heavy layer (relatively speaking) of conditioner on top of leather and just leave it, would it eventually soak in and disappear? It just seems far fetched to me that it’s really penetrating.. but again, I could certainly be way off base.

The same thing could be said for waxes, sealants, coatings, etc. on paint?

Also, if leather conditioners never make an actual difference, then why do so many people [myself included] like to apply leather conditioner after steam cleaning as a way to “bring it back” from its state of shock and get it feeling supple again..

Post Thanks / Like

Review - Gyeon Leather Shield (Leather Coating)

Is it meant for vinyl? I had no idea. The bottle is so old the front label came off some time ago lol.

About the soaking in.. while I think that’s a fair point, clear coat doesn’t have flesh under it.

If I was to put a half dollar amount of product onto a piece of coated leather, and it was penetrating and soaking in.. would capillary action not cause the product to eventually soak in and spread to an area greater than it was originally applied to?

Clear coat just sits on base coat, which sits on some kind of primer, none of which (to the best of my knowledge) would behave the same way a hide would that needs to be hydrated and nourished.

So I guess in my head - once the “pores” of paint are saturated with product, excess has nowhere to really go. So it just sits there and dries up. With leather being under the coating, capillary action could (potentially, this is just what makes sense in my head) carry any deliciously nourishing conditioner beyond the borders of where it’s applied.

Edit: I wouldn’t say they make no difference. I just have my doubts they’re penetrating into the actual leather itself. Maybe their application makes the coating more malleable, for instance.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast