autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Review - McKee's 37 Tire Coating - "New Formula"

If you’re like me you like a nicely dressed tire to go along with your perfectly detailed car. I’ve been using water based dressings for years now and although I like the look nothing seems to last very long.

I bought McKee’s 37 Tire Coating a couple months ago and have been waiting for the opportunity to try it. A few weeks ago I learned that a “New Formula” was available and Nick at McKee’s was sending out bottles free of charge to replace the original formula since it had been a disappointment to so many others.

This is the first time I’ve tried a tire coating so I’m hoping it will replace the numerous water based dressings I currently use.

Tires: 3 year old Goodyear Eagle LS2 with 24,500 miles

For the past 2 years these tires have always been cleaned and dressed – at least twice a month.

Product on Tire Before Cleaning: Gyeon Q2M Tire was applied about 1 week prior

Products Used for Cleaning
    - Shine Supply Wise Guy 1:3 – used for first round of cleaning
    - McKee’s 37 Tire & Rubber Rejuvenator
    - Tuff Shine Tire Brush
    - Kranzle Pressure Washer

McKee’s Directions for applying the Tire Coating

**TIRES MUST BE CLEANED WITH McKee's 37 Tire Cleaner & Rejuvenator**
    1 Ensure surface is cool to the touch.
    2 Thoroughly clean tires using McKee's 37 Tire Cleaner & Rejuvenator until all browning and previously applied dressings are removed. The tires are cleaned properly when a white foam is produced as you scrub them. IF YOU NEGLECT TO PERFORM THIS STEP THEN THE COATING WILL NOT PROPERLY ADHERE.
    3 Allow the tire to dry completely before applying McKee's 37 Tire Coating.
    4 For best results, apply McKee's 37 Tire Coating with a soft-bristle brush, like the Carrand Brush & Shine Tire Dressing Applicator.
    5 Apply the coating directly onto the bristles and spread over face of tire, evenly distributing the coating.
    6 Pay special attention to raised letters, ribs, and grooves.
    7 If a glossier finish is desired, wait 30 minutes and apply a 2nd coat.

My Cleaning Process

Shine Supply Wise Guy was sprayed on the dry tires and left to dwell for a couple minutes and then sprayed off with the pressure washer.

As you can see in the next picture the tires were pretty dirty.

For the next several rounds of cleaning McKee’s 37 Tire & Rubber Rejuvenator was used with the Tuff Shine Brush and then pressure washed.

I didn’t count how many cleaning rounds I completed but the next picture shows some progress.

The most important thing I’ve heard about tire coating prep is to make sure the rubber is as clean as possible. When the cleaner is “white” on the tire it should be clean. Just when I thought I had cleaned enough I did another round.

Last Round of Tire Cleaning

After cleaning the tires they were blown dry with my Metro SideKick blower and left alone until the next morning. The tires had about 14 hours of dry time in my garage which was around 65 degrees.

Dry Tires – Ready to apply the Coating

Since I had never applied a tire coating before I wasn’t sure what to expect. Would it apply like water based dressings? The only reference I had was Nick’s YouTube Video and pictures with descriptions on the Autogeek Store product page.

I applied the coating directly to the brush and then spread onto the tire.

The next pictures are a series of shots taken at different points of the process. I completed 3 coats with a minimum of 30 minutes between them. I hope the pictures are helpful to others so you can see how much different the coating applies compared to water based dressings.

First Coat

The coating has a blue tint to it and is very watery. I found it difficult to apply an even layer but the coating self levels and turns clear as it dries.

First Coat after 30 minutes

You can see some excess product in different areas of the tire. I was tempted to take a rag and wipe it off but after watching some of the application videos it said not to wipe with a rag.

First Coat at 60 minutes – the product leveled out pretty good. In person the finish is fairly “Matte” and I like a little more sheen or “satin” finish so I decided to apply additional coats.

Second Coat – 1 minute after application

Second Coat after 30 minutes

As you can see I didn’t have as much excess product left behind. It didn’t take as much product this time either.

I liked the look after 2 coats but decided to go for a third!

Third Coat – 1 minute after application

Third Coat – 30 minutes after application

You can see some excess product remained but I left it alone.

Third Coat – 60 minutes after application

After 3 coats I achieved the look I wanted. The tire is dry to the touch and I shouldn’t be worried about any sling.

Overall I am impressed with the ease of application and the finished look. The only thing I don’t like is the bottle. When trying to pour it onto the brush it was like a 90 year old man trying to pee. It dribbles out and with the watery consistency it ends up running down the side of the bottle. They could improve the cap for dispensing the product – maybe a longer microtip spout.

Time will tell how well the coating stands up. I plan to update this thread over the next several weeks/months

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review - McKee's 37 Tire Coating - "New Formula"

Amazing step by step review lane5515! Loved reading your entire write-up.

I need to try this tire coating. I would love the shine of the tire to stay like that for months and not days. All without any sling! I'm very curious how long the shine lasts. Looking forward to your updates.
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice review. Thanks for sharing. It definitely will last longer than a water based dressing and it cleans up with just soap and water.

Post Thanks / Like

Great review- thanks! Looking forward to longevity posts.

Post Thanks / Like

Great review and photos. The new formula looks nice with 3 coats. I ordered the new formula as well. Big fan of the previous version as I have been using the DP version. Looking forward to comparing the difference in both considering the new formula is supposed to be glossier.

Quick tip for next time to save you some time and be even more efficient.

Try using the sidekick in between coats. It will not only dry and cure the coating faster but it will push the coating into the nook and crannies. Big time saver and it is the way I have been applying multiple coats.

You would have been fine applying the coating to the tire as soon as you dried it with the side kick. Done it many times.

I recently switched over to the tuf shine tire applicators over the carrand brush. With the carrand brush I pinch the bristles with my index finger and thumb to have the coating sit right on top of the bristles. I feel that the bristles are more evenly coated this way.

I do agree with you about the flip top. That is one of the reasons I like the tuf shine foam applicator.

Enjoy the longevity of it. I get a little over 4 months before it needs to be reapplied.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lane5515 View Post
    If you’re like me you like a nicely dressed tire to go along with your perfectly detailed car. I’ve been using water based dressings for years now and although I like the look nothing seems to last very long.

I bought McKee’s 37 Tire Coating a couple months ago and have been waiting for the opportunity to try it. A few weeks ago I learned that a “New Formula” was available and Nick at McKee’s was sending out bottles free of charge to replace the original formula since it had been a disappointment to so many others.

This is the first time I’ve tried a tire coating so I’m hoping it will replace the numerous water based dressings I currently use.

Tires: 3 year old Goodyear Eagle LS2 with 24,500 miles

For the past 2 years these tires have always been cleaned and dressed – at least twice a month.

Product on Tire Before Cleaning: Gyeon Q2M Tire was applied about 1 week prior

Products Used for Cleaning
    - Shine Supply Wise Guy 1:3 – used for first round of cleaning
    - McKee’s 37 Tire & Rubber Rejuvenator
    - Tuff Shine Tire Brush
    - Kranzle Pressure Washer

McKee’s Directions for applying the Tire Coating

**TIRES MUST BE CLEANED WITH McKee's 37 Tire Cleaner & Rejuvenator**
    1 Ensure surface is cool to the touch.
    2 Thoroughly clean tires using McKee's 37 Tire Cleaner & Rejuvenator until all browning and previously applied dressings are removed. The tires are cleaned properly when a white foam is produced as you scrub them. IF YOU NEGLECT TO PERFORM THIS STEP THEN THE COATING WILL NOT PROPERLY ADHERE.
    3 Allow the tire to dry completely before applying McKee's 37 Tire Coating.
    4 For best results, apply McKee's 37 Tire Coating with a soft-bristle brush, like the Carrand Brush & Shine Tire Dressing Applicator.
    5 Apply the coating directly onto the bristles and spread over face of tire, evenly distributing the coating.
    6 Pay special attention to raised letters, ribs, and grooves.
    7 If a glossier finish is desired, wait 30 minutes and apply a 2nd coat.

My Cleaning Process

Shine Supply Wise Guy was sprayed on the dry tires and left to dwell for a couple minutes and then sprayed off with the pressure washer.

As you can see in the next picture the tires were pretty dirty.

For the next several rounds of cleaning McKee’s 37 Tire & Rubber Rejuvenator was used with the Tuff Shine Brush and then pressure washed.

I didn’t count how many cleaning rounds I completed but the next picture shows some progress.

The most important thing I’ve heard about tire coating prep is to make sure the rubber is as clean as possible. When the cleaner is “white” on the tire it should be clean. Just when I thought I had cleaned enough I did another round.

Last Round of Tire Cleaning

After cleaning the tires they were blown dry with my Metro SideKick blower and left alone until the next morning. The tires had about 14 hours of dry time in my garage which was around 65 degrees.

Dry Tires – Ready to apply the Coating

Since I had never applied a tire coating before I wasn’t sure what to expect. Would it apply like water based dressings? The only reference I had was Nick’s YouTube Video and pictures with descriptions on the Autogeek Store product page.

I applied the coating directly to the brush and then spread onto the tire.

The next pictures are a series of shots taken at different points of the process. I completed 3 coats with a minimum of 30 minutes between them. I hope the pictures are helpful to others so you can see how much different the coating applies compared to water based dressings.

First Coat

The coating has a blue tint to it and is very watery. I found it difficult to apply an even layer but the coating self levels and turns clear as it dries.

First Coat after 30 minutes

You can see some excess product in different areas of the tire. I was tempted to take a rag and wipe it off but after watching some of the application videos it said not to wipe with a rag.

First Coat at 60 minutes – the product leveled out pretty good. In person the finish is fairly “Matte” and I like a little more sheen or “satin” finish so I decided to apply additional coats.

Second Coat – 1 minute after application

Second Coat after 30 minutes

As you can see I didn’t have as much excess product left behind. It didn’t take as much product this time either.

I liked the look after 2 coats but decided to go for a third!

Third Coat – 1 minute after application

Third Coat – 30 minutes after application

You can see some excess product remained but I left it alone.

Third Coat – 60 minutes after application

After 3 coats I achieved the look I wanted. The tire is dry to the touch and I shouldn’t be worried about any sling.

Overall I am impressed with the ease of application and the finished look. The only thing I don’t like is the bottle. When trying to pour it onto the brush it was like a 90 year old man trying to pee. It dribbles out and with the watery consistency it ends up running down the side of the bottle. They could improve the cap for dispensing the product – maybe a longer microtip spout.

Time will tell how well the coating stands up. I plan to update this thread over the next several weeks/months
    Nice review update us in a month thanks again.I see that a great product for weekend detailer or hobbyists. BUT in the real world it's to time consuming and customers are not gonna pay for that time or premium service to coat tires.Some will but a large majority wont.

Post Thanks / Like

Aerosol would be faster.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks great after 2 coats! Does longevity increase with coats or just gloss?

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2010 F150 Lux View Post
    Looks great after 2 coats! Does longevity increase with coats or just gloss?

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk
    Good question - I'd assume longevity would increase some also but I'm not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Great review and photos. The new formula looks nice with 3 coats. I ordered the new formula as well. Big fan of the previous version as I have been using the DP version. Looking forward to comparing the difference in both considering the new formula is supposed to be glossier.

Try using the sidekick in between coats. It will not only dry and cure the coating faster but it will push the coating into the nook and crannies. Big time saver and it is the way I have been applying multiple coats.

You would have been fine applying the coating to the tire as soon as you dried it with the side kick. Done it many times.

I recently switched over to the tuf shine tire applicators over the carrand brush. With the carrand brush I pinch the bristles with my index finger and thumb to have the coating sit right on top of the bristles. I feel that the bristles are more evenly coated this way.

I do agree with you about the flip top. That is one of the reasons I like the tuf shine foam applicator.

Enjoy the longevity of it. I get a little over 4 months before it needs to be reapplied.
    Thanks for the tip for the SideKick and using it to even out the product.

Quote Originally Posted by Harpolith View Post
    Great review- thanks! Looking forward to longevity posts.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by fly07sti View Post
    Very nice review. Thanks for sharing. It definitely will last longer than a water based dressing and it cleans up with just soap and water.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Marc08EX View Post
    Amazing step by step review lane5515! Loved reading your entire write-up.

I need to try this tire coating. I would love the shine of the tire to stay like that for months and not days. All without any sling! I'm very curious how long the shine lasts. Looking forward to your updates.
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post

Guz,

When you reapply after 4 months, are you starting the deep cleaning cycle over as in the first time application, or you apply or simply wiping on a new coat?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast