autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review & How-To: Meguiar's Car Wash Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Marc08EX View Post
    [B][SIZE=5]

That's one way... But hey, you might say that the purpose of this product is to not use any buckets. Well, I have another solution for that! If you don't want to bring out any buckets because it's extra work and time consuming then what you do is just rinse your wash mitt with a strong stream of water in between panels or soap applications to the wash mitt. This will also help dislodge dirt and debris in your wash mitt from the recent panel you just washed.

First off, Happy Easter.

Second, thanks for this review, as this seems perfect for a few applications I have.

However, I have a question that I was going to post to a new thread, but you hit upon it in your review.
    With the 2BW, wouldn't it make sense to ALWAYS rinse the mitt with a strong stream BEFORE putting it in the rinse bucket and rubbing it on the grit guard? Wouldn't that get rid of most of the contaminants, while the grit guard would clean the mitt further?
    I don't recall seeing that step in any of the 2BW tutorials.

I did my mother in laws new civic which she hasn't washed since she got it last year. No tunnel washes either, which is good. This product, I feel, would have been good for that. I did the 2BW with the extra step of rinsing the wash mitt every time, and inspected closely before clay and wax, and didn't see any swirls.

Sorry for the seemingly dumb question, but wasn't sure if there was a detriment to that method, like possibly pushing debris deeper into the wash mitt with the stream of water.

Oh, last question. Do you think this is safe for a freshly painted new hood. My son's Dart had the hood replaced with a new one that the dealer painted in the last two weeks. Safe to use on that?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sicoupe View Post
    Outstanding review and pics my friend! Looks like a winner.
    Thank you so much for the kind words Kyle! I appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shortspark View Post
    Very good review and the pictures helped a great deal. I ordered a bottle but since I have a brand new car I probably will only use this wash product prior to a full detail and when the car is fairly clean. I do not think it is good for a new car as a weekly maintenance wash because the "plus" part is the abrasive cleaner. This is not a chemical cleaner like P21S Paintwork Cleanser but seems to be more of a wash and polish.

There are reviews at other sites that feel the use of Wash Plus degrades the LSP. If this is accurate, it should be ideally suited to help strip the car of the last LSP prior to putting down a new wax or sealant and that is the only purpose for which I will use it. Also, I do think you risk scratching the car if you use it often on a very dirty car unless you are really careful and rinse out the mitt often, as you have pointed out. I think Wash Plus has a place in the detail arsenal but not as a normal, weekly wash shampoo.
    Thanks a lot Shortspark!

I already asked the degradation of LSP question to the folks over at MOL - will report back what they say. IMHO, I wouldn`t think it would degrade the LSP much if you`re just using it as a normal car wash, meaning by just washing your paint gently. But on the areas where you`re agitating the surface vigorously to remove bugs, tar and scuff marks then I would agree that it might remove LSP.

Can you please PM me the links to the reviews on the other sites? I'm curious and want to read them.

Quote Originally Posted by pro 4x View Post
    That is a unique car wash product. Almost like a cleaner/polish. That would be my biggest concern of degrading your LSP by using it. But using it to strip/clean the paint before a new LSP is applied, here it could be great?
    Please see my response above to shortspark. I will clarify this over at MOL and report back what they say.

If it does strip/clean the paint then it's definitely a great product prior to doing a full detail.

Quote Originally Posted by h8dirtycars View Post
    First off, Happy Easter.

Second, thanks for this review, as this seems perfect for a few applications I have.

However, I have a question that I was going to post to a new thread, but you hit upon it in your review.
    With the 2BW, wouldn't it make sense to ALWAYS rinse the mitt with a strong stream BEFORE putting it in the rinse bucket and rubbing it on the grit guard? Wouldn't that get rid of most of the contaminants, while the grit guard would clean the mitt further?
    I don't recall seeing that step in any of the 2BW tutorials.

I did my mother in laws new civic which she hasn't washed since she got it last year. No tunnel washes either, which is good. This product, I feel, would have been good for that. I did the 2BW with the extra step of rinsing the wash mitt every time, and inspected closely before clay and wax, and didn't see any swirls.

Sorry for the seemingly dumb question, but wasn't sure if there was a detriment to that method, like possibly pushing debris deeper into the wash mitt with the stream of water.

Oh, last question. Do you think this is safe for a freshly painted new hood. My son's Dart had the hood replaced with a new one that the dealer painted in the last two weeks. Safe to use on that?
    Happy Easter to you and yours h8dirtycars!

Thank you so much for the kind words!

It would totally make sense rinsing off your wash mitt before dunking it in the rinse bucket. I do this myself when I pick up some heavy grit and debris especially from the lower panels. But I think people don't talk about this extra step because that's what the rinse bucket with the grit guard is for. Any dirt/debris that your wash mitt picks up will get washed off in the rinse bucket and settle down below the grit guard. But it definitely wouldn't hurt it to be EXTRA SAFE. Most people here are looking for efficiency especially professionals. So I think that's why. But if you have the time and want to be EXTRA SAFE, you can add this extra step of rinsing your wash mitt by all means before dunking it in the rinse bucket.

Hey, there are no dumb questions here. You had a very logical question and I'm glad you pointed it out. I think it's a great and safe extra step to add. I think it's more of just the time and efficiency. And the rinse bucket is really there to remove the dirt and debris. So why do a similar step twice.

This is definitely safe for a freshly painted hood as it doesn't leave any LSP protection behind. The only thing you're concerned about on fresh paint is wax/sealants/LSPs. You're not supposed to add any wax/sealant/LSPs because you want the paint to outgas and fully cure. The wax/sealants/LSPs will prevent that from happening. Just take the extra precautionary steps to make the use of this product safer on your son's new hood to avoid adding swirls.

If you decide to purchase this product and use it on your vehicles or your mother in law's, please let us know what you think of it.

Hope this helps!
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Marc! I will definitely post if I try it out.

How long to let the paint cure before any wax/sealant/LSPs, or machine polishing? And what can I put on it to protect until then?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Marc! I will definitely post if I try it out.

How long to let the paint cure before any wax/sealant/LSPs, or machine polishing? And what can I put on it to protect until then?

Thanks.
    You can polish or apply LSP immediately after washing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marc08EX View Post
    The only thing you're concerned about on fresh paint is wax/sealants/LSPs. You're not supposed to add any wax/sealant/LSPs because you want the paint to outgas and fully cure. The wax/sealants/LSPs will prevent that from happening.
    What about this? I meant how long to wait for paint to cure and outgas?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

What about this? I meant how long to wait for paint to cure and outgas?

Thanks
    Typically 90 days but that depends on the paint used and painter. Ask your painter to be sure.

Baking accelerates this process.

Post Thanks / Like

This looks like a great "intensive wash" product to use prior to paint correction. I didn't really see the appeal at first for it, but after seeing what it did to those scuff marks I can tell there is some micro abrasive wizardry going on. Thank you for the review.

There's ta 2016 thread over at MOL where someone from Megs says
    Great point. There are many variables, but in general one application will not completely remove for example a polymer based wax like our Ultimate Wax, but it will knock it down pretty well, so yes, it would be recommended to follow with one of our protectants after an application.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This looks like a great "intensive wash" product to use prior to paint correction. I didn't really see the appeal at first for it, but after seeing what it did to those scuff marks I can tell there is some micro abrasive wizardry going on. Thank you for the review.

There's ta 2016 thread over at MOL where someone from Megs says
    Thanks for that quote from MOL! That answers that question.

Check out this video (at around the 33 second time stamp) where it shows that this product has micro abrasives in it:

Post Thanks / Like

Another winner, Marc. You ever think of doing reviews for a living and ditching the electrical work?? Lol

How do you think this product/method stacks up to a RW time-wise?
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Marc, there are a couple links I can give you where I saw the reviews. One of course you are aware of as you posted there at Autopia - Review & How-To: Meguiar`s Car Wash Plus - Page 2

Another I read is at Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-G250...iars+wash+plus

There are several threads at the Meguiars forum as well. All these review sites indicate that use of this product could degrade the LSP. That is a bad thing if you consider this a weekly maintenance wash, or a good thing if you consider it similar to a paint prep prior to LSP. As I said before, it certainly can have a place in a
    detailer's repertoire, but what that place should be is dependent on how closely it resembles a polish, rather than how close it resembles a traditional shampoo.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast