autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Review - Wheel Woolies Power Woolie 12X

For this review, I’m going to share my thoughts on using Wheel Woolies brand new drill mounted Power Woolie 12X.

From AG’s copy:
    Wheel Woolies Power Woolie 12X is manufactured using the same foam and materials you know and love from the Wheel Woolies line – it’s just specially designed to be used with an air driven, electric, or cordless drill! The Wheel Woolie Power Woolie is the safest way to clean or polish your wheels; the metal handle is encased in a safe rubber sleeve so it won’t scratch, and the soft fusion fiber technology bristles will not mar your wheels’ surface. If you already love the Wheel Woolies Car Detailing Brushes, kick it your detail up a notch with Wheel Woolies Power Woolies 12X!

*Bias Review Disclaimer* AG sent me this item pre-release to use and review at no charge. Ok, now that bit of housekeeping is out of the way… Onto my review!

Over the years I’ve amassed a selection of wheel cleaning brushes:

But this will be my first drill mounted wheel cleaning AND wheel
    woolie brush!

Whenever I buy a new brush, it’s always because I’m trying to find one that:
    a) helps me to quickly clean my wheels,
    b) fits into as many nooks and crannies as possible,
    c) does not harm my rims in any way and
    d) keeps debris off of me - ie does it splatter? Wheel cleaning can be a messy event!

(I’m purposely omitting stands up to harsh wheel cleaning chemicals because that's a given)

Based the above, let's see how well the Wheel Woolies Power Woolies 12X does.

Construction

The WWPW12X is ~12’ long:

Has a soft and fluffy nap that is 3.5’ wide and 6’ long

Steel ¼” hex:

In addition to having a metal free exterior surface, the shaft connecting the connecting the drill to the brush head has a free spinning center exterior that
    allow you to use both hands to hold the brush for greater control and accuracy:

A super nice feature that comes in handy while in use. Speaking of…

In action

The rims on my wife’s Subaru Impreza had a mild amount of crud on them and served perfectly for testing out the latest addition to my wheel cleaning arsenal. After giving the rims a quick blast from my
    pw to remove any loose surface crud, I filled up my wheel cleaning bucket up with soap and water, dipped the WWPW12X (now drill mounted: DeWalt DCK281D2 20V MAX XR) in and let it rip:

Overall I’d say the WW worked pretty well at quickly removing 90% of the crud from the face of the time with the remaining 10% of hard to reach spots (lug nuts, valve stem, narrow spoke ends) needing a once over with a smaller brush.

I’ve used the WWPW12X on rims with wider spokes and found them to be just as easy to clean around.

Here’s what I learned:

The Good:
    Yes, the wheel cleaning process was significantly faster using the brush. BUT if I ran my drill at full speed soapy water splattered all over the place. Gross. In order to avoid this, I dropped my drills speed setting down to low.

Even after doing all 4 rims, my drills battery still had a plenty of charge left @ ~75%. Running my drill at a lower speed had the advantage of conserving battery life.

The Bad:
    Do not use this brush for cleaning the face of your rims! When holding the brush parallel to the vehicle, the brush will catch an edge and kick back. Resulting in your drills metal chuck coming into contact with the vehicle's paint. How do I know this?

Ouch! That thud you just heard is me losing focus and making that mistake for you. Thankfully no harm was done. Lesson learned - only use this brush perpendicular to the vehicle. Do not try and clean the face of the rim like I did. Something like Mother’s Wheel Cleaning brush is a much better tool for that job.

You also need to be mindful when extending the brush head into the
    wheels, and avoid getting too close to your brake disk because the brush head has a tendency to catch the edge and pull itself into the rim. Operating your drill at a low speed will help minimize this from happening

Placing the WWPW12X + drill combo down while wet can be a little tricky due to the weight of the brush head wanting to tip forward. Thankfully whenever this happened I was able to catch the brush before it could come into contact with the ground / getting contaminated

Clean Up

After use, the WWPW12X cleans up very easily. Just run some clean water over it to remove any crud and let air dry.

Bonus use:
    Cleaning exhaust tips

Cleaning your exhaust tips is easy using the WWPW12X.

One of my DD dirty tips:

Now watch how easy it is to use the WWPW12X with nothing more than soap and water:

With S100 polishing soap:

And finally with P21S Multi Surface Finish Restorer:

Finished product*:

* Power washing step edited out

For regular tip maintenance, this is a GREAT tool. Admittedly, my tips need a little more elbow grease to get them back up to snuff, but after that - cleaning them will be pretty dang easy.

Conclusion

Overall, I believe this is a good option to have in your wheel and exhaust tip brush cleaning arsenal. Is it a one and done sort of tool? Nope. You still need a selection of brushes to get your rims 100% clean. And you need to take care not to run the drill at full speed or hold it at less than a 90’ angle while in use.

To recap, how well does the Wheel Woolies Power Woolie 12X meet my wheel brush cleaning criteria:
    a) Quickly clean my wheels?YES12X!
    b) Fits into as many nooks and crannies as possible? Nope. The WWPW12X does not replace the need for smaller brushes.
    c) Does not harm my rims in any way? Other than the hex bit, there is zero exposed metal. The brush heads soft fiber bristles will not harm your rims
    d) Keeps debris off of me/ splatter? Yes but only at low speeds. One of the benefits of using a classic Wheel Woolie brush (vs a Speed Master) is the lack of splatter from the brush while in use. And as long as you use the WWPW12X at low
    speed, while holding the brush at a 90’, splatter should be kept to a minimum.

I hope you enjoyed this review and the information provided was helpful to anyone considering purchasing Wheel Woolies Power Woolie 12X. I’m certainly going to keep using it as part of my normal cleaning routine.

A finally a very big Thank You! to Meghan@AG for sending a Wheel Woolies Power Woolie 12X to me for this review

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review - Wheel Woolies Power Woolie 12X

Nice review. I can see this being useful on barrels of neglected wheels for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Great review Angus. I purchased one of the older "speed stick" wheel brushes year ago. This brush also attached to a drill and was supposed to make wheel cleaning easier. To me it just seemed to add time with hooking to a drill...etc etc. In the end I found that cleaning with the Daytona Wheel Brush or Wheel Woolies was faster.

I can see the Power Woolie being nice for wheel polishing though.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Angus do you get a commission for any of the sales this brush makes? Lol I've been looking for awhile now definitely sold on the Wheel Woolies. Awesome review

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Very informative review, thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

Youtube clipped the Thud video a little to soon so i made a new longer clip and took the opportunity to slow the thud down:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fly07sti View Post
    Nice review. I can see this being useful on barrels of neglected wheels for sure.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Pats300zx View Post
    Great review Angus. I purchased one of the older "speed stick" wheel brushes year ago. This brush also attached to a drill and was supposed to make wheel cleaning easier. To me it just seemed to add time with hooking to a drill...etc etc. In the end I found that cleaning with the Daytona Wheel Brush or Wheel Woolies was faster.

I can see the Power Woolie being nice for wheel polishing though.
    Thank you Pat!

Quote Originally Posted by Trip View Post
    Angus do you get a commission for any of the sales this brush makes? Lol I've been looking for awhile now definitely sold on the Wheel Woolies. Awesome review
    Thank you, Sir! A commission would be nice.. but then I'd be waaaay basied!! Nah, I'm happy with a free brush and enjoy sharing reviews with you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Meghan View Post
    Very informative review, thank you.
    Thank you, Meghan!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Amazing review Angus!!! Great work in showcasing this product, the details of it and how well it works. I especially like the videos! Really enjoyed the read. Thank you for doing this.
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marc08EX View Post
    Amazing review Angus!!! Great work in showcasing this product, the details of it and how well it works. I especially like the videos! Really enjoyed the read. Thank you for doing this.
    Thank you for the kind words, Marc! I'm glad you enjoyed it. Adding videos was new for me and fun to do

Post Thanks / Like

Great review my friend! Thanks for sharing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast