autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Review: Poorboy's World Iron Remover

Dear Forums Members,

Today I received a shipment from AG with some products to test & review. I was honored to be selected, and always look forward to trying out products I've not used in the past. When you consider the incredible selection of products sold @ AG, very few of us have the opportunity to use them all, so these reviews provide insights to others before making a product selection.

Today's test was Poorboy's World Iron Remover. For those new to detailing, removing iron from your paint with a liquid such as this is often referred to as chemical decontamination, and a clay bar or nanoskin mitt as mechanical decontamination. Decontaminating the paint is highly suggested as the base step in a thorough detailing process, but not something that needs to be done every week. Like everything else, frequency will depend on how and where the vehicle is driven, and maintained.

I was sent a 4 ounce sample and decided I was going to try it on the wheels of "Old Blue" (my 2001 VW Passat). This car was my wife's first new car back in the day, but it is now our 3rd car as we each have newer daily drivers. Suffice to say, it is still very well taken care of but the car has always suffered from fairly extreme brake dust collection on the wheels. The OEM brake pads for this car give off twice as much dust as my wife's A4, making them on the higher end of the maintenance scale despite being driven easily. The wheels do have McKees wheel glaze on them, and that does help in maintenance - but the dust is oddly more on the rust side of the spectrum versus the standard black brake dust. Needless to say, the wheels were prime for some iron removal and haven't been decontaminated since Sept. of 2016.

Conditions:
    Weather 57 degrees, cloudy, approx. 6:30 PM, moderate humidity. Wheels cool and dry.

As with most Iron Removal products, its not going to be the best smelling product on your shelf. I would place it's "strength of smell" somewhere between IronX and McKees 37 Iron Remover, with IronX having the strongest smell of the 3. As with any new product, I limited the use to one wheel first "just in case". I applied the product by spraying it directly onto the first wheel and letting it dwell. It began working immediately - turning the wheel into a quick "bleeder" (see attached pic) within 30 seconds.

Note: The directions suggest a dwelling period of 5 - 10 minutes, and to mist with water if the product starts to dry. I can say that if you intend a 5-10 min. dwell time, misting with water (or more product) would be an absolute must because after only 3 minutes the product started to "white over" on the wheel. Instead of misting with water and risk diluting the product, I misted the wheel again (lightly) with more Poorboy's World Iron Remover. That re-invigorated the product and amplified the bleeding and allowed me 2 more minutes of dwell time. I'd reached the recommended 5 minutes and now was time to rinse it off.

I hit the wheel with a healthy dose of water from the hose, and watched the now very-purple product rinse off very easily. You will want to rinse twice because wheels have plenty of place for products to hide and dribble out of. Rinse, wait 30 seconds and then rinse again. I am glad I did because after the first rinse there was still some oozing coming off the wheel. After the second rinse, I lightly washed the wheels with a soft MF towel (dedicated to wheels) and water, followed by a wipe down with a dry MF.

Poorboy's World Iron Remover did an excellent job at removing a significant amount of iron (brake dust particles) without any extra effort on my end, especially in those pesky nooks and crannies. For what it's worth, I used approx. 2 of the 4 ounce bottle for 4 wheels, so I would gather a 16 ounce bottle would easily be enough for 2 cars (including wheels) or one large SUV/truck. I didn't use Poorboy's World Iron Remover on my car's paint today because just last week I did a spring paint maintenance routine (clay bar and McKees 360 AIO).

Do I have anything negative to say about the product? No. In summary, the product delivered on its intended purpose of removing contaminants from exterior surfaces; brake dust in this case from wheels. At $ 18.99 for 16 ounces, it is competitively priced as well.

P.S. Wear gloves when working with any Iron Remover.

Thanks for reading, and thanks AG for entrusting me to the review.

ScottH
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Review: Poorboy's World Iron Remover-before1-jpg   Review: Poorboy's World Iron Remover-before2-jpg   Review: Poorboy's World Iron Remover-during1-jpg   Review: Poorboy's World Iron Remover-after1-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: Poorboy's World Iron Remover

Very nice review ScottH!
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Post Thanks / Like

Great review Scott
    http://Www.gonzodetailing.com

Anything in life worth doing is worth over doing, moderation is for cowards.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks excellent ! Another poorboys victory

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

And its roughly 30.00 cheaper per gallon than CarPro. Very nice!!

Post Thanks / Like

Scott thank you for the review we appreciate the honest feedback!