autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

WolfGang Uber Cermamic Coating Review + Update

I have been using WG DGPS since 2004 or so. I love the slick feel and the gloss / reflections that it creates on dark colors.
    During the Xmas season in 2015, I decided to purchase the WG Uber ceramic coating for my Camaro.

I wound up selling my Frontier privately and bought a new 2016 GMC Sierra. Unfortunately it does not fit in the garage at my townhouse, so I decided the coating may be better served for a new truck

The truck was purchased in July of 2016 and the winter prep was done on October 8th.

The truck was hand washed and dried @ my house, and I went to my parents house to use their garage. The truck was wiped down with WG uber rinseless wash and clayed with Meg's white clay.
    The paint was still in great shape, so I used Menzerna SIP ( I know, I have an old supply ) on a white polishing pad via the PC.

I used WG Perfekt finish paint prep to remove any and all oils etc...

So now it was time to apply the coating. This is the first coating that I have used, and the truck was the guinea pig ( yikes ! )

I read the directions and I also reviewed Mike's how to thread on how to apply it.
    It was a piece of cake. After the 1st pass or 2, the product seemed to go a bit further.

I left the truck in the garage for about 4 hours and then I drove home.
    The clarity it brought to the headlights was awesome:

It was too dark to get any decent pictures, so here is the next day:

I liked how it made the chrome trim and badges look like mirrors.

Here is a morning shot of the hood from the inside of the truck

4 days later, the truck was dusty from the lot @ work, so here is the coating beading rain

Here is a video after the 1st wash 2 weeks after the initial application.
    The truck was washed with WG auto bathe and rinsed with the hose:

you can see the water ran right off of the hood.

The Midwest winter wasn't too bad this year and on an unusually warm day in January I was able to use the hose to wash the truck, here's about a 3 month update:

It took a bit longer for the water to "sheet" off, but still holding up well.

Here is a 2nd update after a wash from last weekend ( now about 5 months in, remember the truck sits outside and is daily driven...)
    ( try to ignore the terrible commentary... future videos will be a lot better )

in closing, I have never been disappointed with a WG product. The coating is easy enough for a novice or weekend detailer like myself to apply.
    The protection is still great. When it rains, while driving the water just beads and rolls right off the painted surfaces.

The shine / gloss is amazing, I love the way my truck looks in the sun. The surface is still very smooth, I can not feel any kind of contamination build up to this point.
    I recommend this coating to anyone looking to make the leap from a traditional wax or sealant.

and for those wondering, there was plenty left over for the Camaro.
    The Camaro was previously polished with SIP and sealed with WG DGPS. About 6 weeks later, I polished the car with Menzerna Final Polish II, cleaned the paint with the Perfekt finish paint prep and applied the coating.
    WG definitely "shines" when used on a darker paint:

Gav Details on YouTube:
    www.youtube.com/c/GavDetails

2. Likes Swirlophobia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WolfGang Uber Cermamic Coating Review + Update

Great job bud! Thanks for taking the time to do this review!

4. Thanks santiagoma85 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great review! I think the Wolfgang uber ceramic coating is amazing as well!
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate the review as I'll be doing my car with it soon...I hope, just depends upon the weather.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gav'sPurpleZ View Post
    The coating is easy enough for a novice or weekend detailer like myself to apply.
    Ha, you are way too modest.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy1976 View Post
    Great job bud! Thanks for taking the time to do this review!
    Thank you, and no problem ! My goal is to do more reviews like this, this spring / summer season.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc08EX View Post
    Great review! I think the Wolfgang uber ceramic coating is amazing as well!
    Thank you, yeah it's great !

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    I appreciate the review as I'll be doing my car with it soon...I hope, just depends upon the weather.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
    Be sure to post some pictures !

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Ha, you are way too modest.
    Nah, I used to detail more years ago before I moved from the city to the burbs. It was almost a chore to find time to detail my own vehicles.
    I would take time off in the summer and fall to be sure to get my parent's vehicles winter ready.

Since this was the 1st coating that I have applied, I was a bit nervous. But thanks to some great threads here on AGO, I figured what the hell and went for it.

Thanks for checking out the thread guys !
    Gav Details on YouTube:

Post Thanks / Like

Great review! Looks nice.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks !
    Gav Details on YouTube:

Post Thanks / Like

Applied WG Uber Ceramic to our black daily driver 2016 WRX in May of 2016 (about 15k miles ago), have kept up on it through monthly applications (weather permitting) of Gyeon Wetcoat/Cure and some other SiO2 'boosters'. Upper areas (hood, roof, trunk) still bead and sheet nicely but the sides from midway down have lost their ability to sheet/bead water that well. Have decon'd those areas with fine clay, Iron-X, etc recently to see if it would revitalize but alas, I think winter has taken it's toll and the WG Uber Ceramic is toast in those areas. Overall pleased with the experience, WG Uber was my first coating but will be moving on to something else this Spring. Have recently been trying different coatings (Gyeon Mohs, Cquartz Classic, Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light and a few other non-AG coatings) and while the Uber is certainly nice, IMHO there are better options out there, some at a very economical price point. A few of the cars I used McKees 37 Paint Coating on last summer (and maintained with less frequent 'booster' applications) are holding up as well as the WG Uber Ceramic, albeit with the same lower-body-panel apparent weaknesses.

Also have a black 2004 Corvette that got the WG Uber Ceramic last spring and has been tucked away since last November (and is pretty much a daily driver in the spring/summer/fall) ; am guessing when we pull it out in a few weeks the WG Uber Ceramic will still be holding strong. Although the winter in NE Ohio was relatively mild with only a few blizzard-ish days, they've really gone all out spraying the roads with salt, brine, de-icer and such which looks to really take it's toll on paint protection.

Also have a 2016 Honda Civic (wife's winter daily driver) that was bought new in October 2016 and coated with a fairly $$ combo and I guess sometimes money talks as that is holding up very well despite slogging through the NE Ohio winter. Was kinda slipping a bit on the rocker panels as well but a little bit of Iron-X and very light, fine clay returned it to its glory. Don't expect miracles from it...seriously wondering if anything can make it through a winter completely unscathed.

Eh, up here everything looks like crap in the winter no matter what you have on it so merely surviving a winter and returning to pretty good self-cleaning and glossy summer performance is considered a win.

Post Thanks / Like

thank you for your input.
    I bought it for the Camaro because it's garaged and I've been trying to stick to rinseless washes.

I figured it would be a good idea for the truck since it was new and the thought of leaving it outside was bothersome.

I have the McKee's paint coating but have not used it yet. I have some people at work who are looking to get their cars done this summer, so I may be busy with videos and more product reviews.
    Gav Details on YouTube:

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast